News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

World Flight 2010 -- 10th Year Anniversary

Started by Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers, Sat, 15 May 2010 15:31

Shiv Mathur

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwershttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkMZv7tkow

Over The Ocean -- How Exciting Worldflight Really Is

Funniest thing I've seen in a long time ! What a great idea.
I think the hangman thing was brilliant.
Really well put together as well.

Is PC planning to do the whole WF in his pyjamas?

And, was that landing counted ?

Hardy Heinlin

:-) :-)

I think this crew has a great comedy talent!

(Also the F/O 's underwear: Pretty interesting.)

/-|

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

While BAW744 gets clearance out of Singapore on its route to Denpasar, growing concern develops over the Merapi volcano and the associated ash cloud. We go practically straight over it, and in any case downwind at altitude. Although Worldflight does not plan emergencies, nobody knows what PS1 will do...

John just gave yet another TV interview, this time for Central TV. Coventry Base nearly becomes a media centre.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersWhile BAW744 gets clearance out of Singapore on its route to Denpasar, growing concern develops over the Merapi volcano and the associated ash cloud. We go practically straight over it, and in any case downwind at altitude. Although Worldflight does not plan emergencies, nobody knows what PS1 will do...

John just gave yet another TV interview, this time for Central TV. Coventry Base nearly becomes a media centre.

Time to get out the PS1 volcanic ash template/simulation and practice up!  

I never did get the hang of that one...

Perhaps it's also time to to put on your parachutes.  Is it technically possible to escape the cockpit via the escape hatch, while wearing a parachute???
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

We did get an uncommanded engine failure on the way into Denpasar. Nobody touched the instructor's station (I swear) and the crew was quite worried that more would come. Luckily application of standard QRH solved the issue.

Now cleared to land Denpasar. Hoppie captain next leg into Darwin.

Jeroen

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersWe did get an uncommanded engine failure on the way into Denpasar. Nobody touched the instructor's station (I swear) and the crew was quite worried that more would come.

Harhar! :-)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Low vis operation into Oz is absolutely no problem for a capable craft like the Boeing 747-400.

John Golin

I was wondering whether we would get an engine failure out of Singapore... fortunately it was the wee small hours here and the mischevious ones were all tucked up in bed... :)
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

John H Watson

(real world) Airlines are cancelling flight to Jakarta, so they are playing it safe.. unlike the daredevils on Worldflight ;)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

With rather low visibility, we went into Darwin, and Brisbane turned out to be outright impossible. Deviation to Gold Coast and even there Granville had to perform an inverted Kai Tak to get us safely to the runway after it became visible at very close range and a significant directional offset from the inbound VOR radial.

Currently preparing for the final leg into Sydney. In the mean time, enjoy our video about how we routinely fly on instruments.

-- Coventry Base Team/Speedbird 744

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF7eo4Xh8BQ

Shiv Mathur

My congratulations to everyone involved with WF.

Sleep for the next 24 hours, and then send us all the photos and videos !

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

No sleep just yet. 4-hours CAVOK drive into Harwich first.

--- edit

Arrived OK at the boat. Can now catch up on sleep. Zzzzzz.

Zinger

Very nice and worthy event! It is great that people devote so much attention and effort for others less fortunate.

I found only dedicated sites for comments so Hoppie, I am writing here something I noticed. Many FIRs and vACCs made an effort to provide quality ATC, so my point should help. The Excel timetable worksheet specified the weekday of each flight only at Sydney. For some it is confusing, for example people prepared Tel Aviv for Saturday evening and only noticed later that it was the preceeding evening they should staff. One way is to fill in the weekday wherever there is time information. Another is to specify the weekday for each leg. Last way and my way- aviation solved this confusion a long time ago by standardizing time information to Universal Time. Realistic, and simple when utilizing Servinfo world clock feature.
Regards, Zinger

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

We at Coventry used UTC for all our internal time rosters, but of course Coventry is basically UTC (though daylight savings time ended the day Worldflight started to further confuse matters). I totally agree that a very accurate UTC time and date spec is absolutely required. I made miscalculations of start and end dates myself. Says enough.

Jeroen

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Stupid Worldflight habits got stuck.

On my way by car from Coventry to Harwich, after a long stretch of motorway, I approached an exit. My satnav voice said: "Exit Ahead". And totally automatically I replied: "Thank you."

Grrr.

:mrgreen:

Shiv Mathur

That's just reflex good manners.

Like when the pizza delivery guy says, " Enjoy your pizza",
and I reply, "Thanks -- you too."

And then I feel foolish.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hey Shiv,

Check up on our good manners here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnXl54rWur0

and then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjhAuBtd81Q

Remember: it's not just John and me. You're looking at an incredible amount of work that went into this. The people involved will know exactly whom I mean, and the list of names would be too long to mention anyway.

Jeroen

PS. Note the GPS upgrade    :mrgreen:

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hardy Heinlin

Great! :-)

... and the heroes at 3:22 ... the Gods in white :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Mariano

01:55; the understatement of the century ;-)

Mariano