News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

asboyd

Just wondering if PSX>NET P3D Externalsim is being updated for P3DV5??

I guess this also relies on some free time for dev work :)

Cheers,
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

joergalv

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim works out of the box with P3Dv5+. No update for V5 required.

Joerg

asboyd

I tried to get it to work with V5 but it only finds my V4 directories.....
I think that I may have to uninstall V4 and remove all traces to see if that works.....

Hmmmmmm :)

Cheers,

garys

I have both V4 and V5.1 installed without any problems. If you have it setup ok with V4 it should be as easy as opening up the configurator and manually pointing it to your psx aircraft in the simobjects folder of V5.

asboyd

I did that but methinks V5 does not have simconnect running... Will check further when I get back from my 30th Anniversary trip... (Got to keep the FO happy or she will cut of my sim time)

Cheers,
AlexB

garys

Congrats on the 30 yrs. Definitely a milestone worth celebrating.

Do you have a V5 addons folder in your documents folder? Unfortunately I have a terrible memory these days. I cant remember  if I needed to create the new P3dV5 addons folder in the c:\documents directory and then copy/ paste the V4 External sim folder which contains the 3 files into it or if it did it by itself.

Swiso

Quote from: asboyd on Thu,  3 Dec 2020 21:40
I did that but methinks V5 does not have simconnect running... Will check further when I get back from my 30th Anniversary trip... (Got to keep the FO happy or she will cut of my sim time)

Cheers,
AlexB

Hey Congrats Alex !
Haha nice one about your "FO"...so true !

All the best
Aris

joergalv

Congrats Alex!

The installer might not play well with v5, but there is no need to use it if you have ExternalSim working in v4:

1) Copy the folder PS.NET.P3D.ExternalSim from "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" to "C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons"

2) Copy SimConnect.xml from '%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4' to '%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5'

3) Copy the aircraft you used in v4 with Externalsim from  'P3Dv4ROOT\Simobjects\Airplanes'  to 'P3Dv5ROOT\Simobjects\Airplanes'

Joerg

asboyd

Thank you to all,
Will give it a go next week...

I have been told I am allowed to go fishing one day while we are away (Yahoo....)

I suppose we also need to go to galleries and sewing shops and quilting barns.................

Cheers,
AlexB

Swiso

;D
It's a give and take....

glennstevens

Still trying to get this to work.
P3D v 4.4.  PSX.NET external sim v 2.5.  Router and boost and P3D on same machine.  router sees  psx, boost and P3D as client.  Numbers increasing.  The edits to aircraft config done.  But P3D view does not move.  'Feedback publish enabled: False' is showing.  What am i missing here?

cavaricooper

Does this help whatsoever...?

Quote from: cavaricooper on Sun, 12 Nov 2017 23:18
As an aid to myself, being fairly addled, I have written these step-by-step instructions after Mark's patient ministrations.... hopefully this helps.... 

DELETE ALL PRIOR VERSIONS OF EXTERNALSIM- IF YOU ARE NETWORKED- CHECK EACH COMPUTER!

- Use Control Panel to delete ALL prior versions of ExternalSim.
- Manually ensure the ExternalSim program folder is deleted.
- Manually ensure that the 2 files in the Public Documents folder are deleted.
- Manually ensure that the .dll in your chosen ExternalSim aircraft are deleted.
- If you get any warnings when installing the NEW versions... go back to CP and RECHECK... something is lurking...

Download and unzip the latest ExternalSim version from Dropbox.

ON THE Prepar3D Computer-

CHOOSE WHICH VERSION YOU ARE INSTALLING AND COPY TO AND

- Run PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Installer.v3.msi OR Run PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Installer.v4.msi- NOT BOTH
- Then COPY TO AND RUN PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Configuration.Installer.msi
- Go to Start and run the P3D ExternalSim Configuration Program
- CAREFULLY SELECT THE SPECIFIC P3D 744 you want to use and CHOOSE THE aircraft.cfg
- TICK THE BOX for External Sim Enabled

- Open the dialogue box- Open ExternalSim.xml

There- ONLY IF NEEDED (i.e. PSX Boost is on another computer) change the
  <RouterSubAddress> tcp://       and
  <FeedbackPubAddress> tcp://
  from default (same computer) to the correct IP of the chosen ROUTER COMPUTER

- SAVE and then close the P3D ExternalSim Configuration Program with the Red X box

ON THE PSX Boost Server Computer-

- COPY TO AND Run PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.Installer
- Then COPY TO AND RUN PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Configuration.Installer.msi

-THERE OUGHT TO BE NO CHANGES HERE AS THIS IS THE COMPUTER WITH THE PSX BOOST SERVER AND THE    ROUTER, but VERIFY the paths in the XML by selecting the Dialogue Box.
- SAVE and then close the P3D ExternalSim Configuration Program with the Red X box
- IF YOU NEED TO ADJUST THE MODEL'S HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND make changes to the 4.4 value in the
  <MinWeightModelOffsetM> I did not have to change this... but if you go the wrong way, just CLOSE, EDIT and       RESTART the ROUTER- no need to bother PSX or P3D.

TO RUN

- Start PSX Boost Server & select your SITU
- Start ALL Clients
- Start ALL PSX Ecosystem Support- AS14+ASCA, PSX.NET, BAACARS, PSXAloft- everything except PSXonMCP2 which must be started after P3D so as to override LINDA
- Start P3D ExternalSim Router (on the same machine as the PSX Boost Server)
- Start P3D
- Select the P3D ExternalSim aircraft- DO NOT CHANGE AIRPORT/TIME etc.
- Select FLY
- WAIT... there are usually 2 P3D loads and it all takes a bit of time... however, once sorted it's fabulous!

- NOW CONTROL EVERYTHING THROUGH PSX- Time, ZFW, Fuel, Etc.- YOU ARE MOVING A CAMERA THROUGH THE P3D WORLD- THAT'S IT.

PLEASE NOTE- ALL OF THIS is already in Mark's carefully created document. 
Being a Git... I made a ready reference for myself... hopefully it is useful to others as well, and not just extraneous.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

glennstevens

Thanks very much Carl. Very helpful.
Ive done this but same result.
Im confused by reference to dll in aircraft folder - the way it installs on my machine is the psxnetexternal sim dll is in the P3D add on folder in the documents folder, along with all the other addons running (which all work).  And in P3D external sim addon is showing as enabled.  Is there a need to copy that dll to the aircraft folder as well?
one other question is which port should be nominated in simconnect.xml.  I have port 29764, which was what was needed for visual psx.  Do you use the same setting?
Glenn

glennstevens

Further to this, when I tried a network setup rather than all on one machine.... it worked. 
Thanks for your help. 

RRVyper

Glenn,

I hadn't used P3Dv4 in quite a while but was curious if PSX.NET was still working for me in that sim. I fired it up and had the same issue as you (no movement) even though it correctly moved me to the location set in PSX (and the lights worked, too). It turned out that I had to explicitly allow psx.net.p3d.externalsim.router.exe through the BitDefender firewall. I'm not sure if you are using the same antivirus program, but I added a rule under Protection/Firewall/Rules allowing Any Network, Any Protocol and Both Directions.

Randy

RRVyper

Well, I spoke too soon. After sending that reply I tested again and had the same issue (no movement) in P3D.

Frustrating...

The only thing I did differently when it worked was to start a pushback soon after loading. More troubleshooting to do. VisualPSX works, though.

Randy

RRVyper

It appears that PSX.NET loses communication with the sim after a few minutes. If I quickly power on the aircraft and call for the pushback, the aircraft in P3D moves as expected. But, if I continue to get the aircraft ready to taxi (align INS, start engines, etc.) once I start the taxi P3D no longer moves (PSX is moving).

Randy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I have zero P3D/PSX.NET experience but a lot of Windows networking experience, of the bad kind. If connections drop, I learned to look long & hard at anything that routes or NATs or firewalls and that may convince itself that your link is stale or otherwise no longer used. Dropping stale links is a favorite of connection-oriented routers.

If you break the connection and reconnect, does it start moving again?

Hoppie

glennstevens

I still  dont know quite what I did differently to get it working.  I dont have any firewalls running other that Windows firewall which is selected off.  Id did find that P3D needs to be told to come out of pause once the connection is established.  Even though the pause on task button is unchecked.  Once i worked that out it seems to work ok.  Interesting that the router window shows 'no clients' at the bottom, I think because I am running the PSX boost on the same computer as P3D so P3D is a client of the boost server on that machine.  (I think.)

One problem I am encountering is periodically the main PSX server hangs - stops transmitting data, stops responding to any commands and I have to restart it and then re link all the other PSX instances manually.  Not sure if this is related to PSX.NET external sim or something else.   Every so often there is a massive surge in data traffic across the internal network for some reason, which may be associated with this problem. 

To be investigated further.

Cheers

Glenn 

RRVyper

Hoppie, stopping/starting the P3D ExternalSim Router did not fix the issue. However, lowering the Frame Rate Limit in PSX seems to have solved it. I don't remember having to do that before. I'll have to do some more tests to see if it is really the fix.

Randy