News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

Gary Oliver

Not tested anything yet... just an idea.

RogerH

Hi all,

I'm using PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim with P3Dv4 - it's great - even on my low-spec PC I'm getting a perfectly flyable 15-20fps with very few stutters. PSX is running on a second, even lower-spec machine.

I want to join in with one of the Worldflight sectors next week and have been carrying out a few experimental connections to VATSIM using their vPilot interface to connect P3D to the network.

But I've come across a hitch - my yoke is connected to the PSX machine, whereas vPilot is running on the P3D machine.

When I change radio frequencies on the PSX machine, this is faithfully copied on the P3D machine, but pressing the PTT button in PSX doesn't trigger the same event in P3D on the other machine.

I've allocated Left Control to the PTT on the P3D machine for vPilot and if I use this key i can talk to the controllers but obviously I'd like to use the button on my yoke if possible.

Probably the answer is very simple - but a good perusal of the relevant manuals and threads on here hasn't yet shown me an answer - anybody help?

Thanks,

Roger.

Hang on, my bad, Looks like you can run vPilot over a network. Disregard above.

joergalv

Roger,

you can setup vPilot in a way to run in networked mode, i.e. run vPilot in Host mode on the P3D machine, and a second install on the PSX machine, in -remote -voice mode. The vPilot client running on the PSX machine will accept your PTT assignment. vPilot documentation on networked setups gives good guidance to succeed.

Regards,
Joerg

RogerH

Thanks Joerg - you're quite right! Sorted now.

pilotngb

Hello,

Managed to get PSX talking to P3D on a single computer and its working really well. Very smooth, no stutters. Instructions were simple and clear.

I have a question on wx. What options do I have for matching up PSX and P3D wx? I have this PSX wx working well with Xplane, but I would rather ditch Xplane now that I have P3D working.

Thanks,
Neil

Adrian FW

Hi Neil,

Please can I ask the spec of your single computer, CPU, Graphics card, memory?  I am looking to buy a new box to run PSX and either or both X-Plane and P3D.

Thanks,
Adrian

pilotngb

Quote from: Adrian FW on Sun,  4 Nov 2018 14:46
Hi Neil,

Please can I ask the spec of your single computer, CPU, Graphics card, memory?  I am looking to buy a new box to run PSX and either or both X-Plane and P3D.

Thanks,
Adrian

Running the following:-

i7-8700k O/C to 4.5Ghz
Z370 motherboard
H100i V2 cooler
1080ti
32GB RAM
500GB M2. Drive for windows
1TB Samsung 970 partioned into 500GB (P3D) and 500GB for other software including PSX.
2 monitors, (1) PSX at 1440p and (2) P3D at 1080p.

I've no idea what the lowest spec you can get away with but the above works well for me.

Hope this helps.

ahaka

Quote from: pilotngb on Sun,  4 Nov 2018 01:38
I have a question on wx. What options do I have for matching up PSX and P3D wx? I have this PSX wx working well with Xplane, but I would rather ditch Xplane now that I have P3D working.

Thanks,
Neil

Hi Neil,

No option to match wx 1:1, but I'm using Active Sky Next as it gives pretty good depiction. Perhaps the most relevant thing missing is the sync of CB location/precipitation on the radar. Hopefully this will be possible in the future. But even as it is now it is still an amazing experience to fly with such perfectly smooth scenery view.
Antti

sakukio

Hello everyone

Externalsim works very well!! smooth action!!
But here I got one problem. I know Externalsim doesn't have a feature like runway offset.
When I tried to land at some airports, apparently Glide slope doesn't match what PAPI light indicate. and then I undershoot the runway. Is this problem due to no runway offset or what did I do wrong instead?
Many Thanks!! this add-on gives me wonderful experience :)) 

ahaka

Was it a default or an add-on airport?

Although I have not tested this 100%, it seems that the offset problems mainly lies within the default airports that do not have correct coordinates and other parameters for the runways. Most add-on developers match their runway polygons pretty much spot on with the satellite imagery data. So far all offset issues I've expereinced have been at the default airports.
Antti

sakukio

Unfortunately I had this problem on add-on airport:((
I undershoot the left runway while I have correct parameter for right runway.
I will try other airports.

ahaka

Which airport/scenery? Also have you tried other airports just to make sure that nothing is wrong with your setup?
Antti

sakukio

PAC addon RCTP airport.
I will try to fly as many airport as possible

Sebastian

Quote from: ahaka on Mon, 19 Nov 2018 12:00
Most add-on developers match their runway polygons pretty much spot on with the satellite imagery data. So far all offset issues I've expereinced have been at the default airports.

Imaginesim ZSPD is terribly far off. I wonder if it's going to be fixed with their recently announced update. Surprisingly, I've also experienced it being slightly off vs PSX if taken from X-Plane Gateway Scenery.

Regards,
Sebastian

ahaka

Has anyone tested if everything works fine with the latest Prepar3d version (4.4)?
Antti

JohnH

Quote from: ahaka on Sat,  1 Dec 2018 10:12
Has anyone tested if everything works fine with the latest Prepar3d version (4.4)?

Just tried it and everything seems to be working as expected

John

Peter Lang

Same here, installed latest version on an new PC and it works.

On a short test I encountered an offest on approach RWY 05 LTBA. Normally I use X-Plane for scenery, so I cannot tell if this behaviour is related to the new P3D version. Perhaps the reason for this also may be that I have no addons installed yet. Just what I noticed...

Compared to X-Plane scenery movement is very smooth.

Peter

garys

Happy New Year everyone

When using Gary's BA posky model, is there a way to enable the virtual cockpit? I'm only able to see the main 2D cockpit (minus panel of course) and external views, however I would like to be able to rotate the virtual cockpit view to line up the centre of the runway for the left or right seats. I can move the main cockpit view left and right but can't rotate like you can when using a virtual cockpit. Pressing F9 doesn't bring me to the virtual cockpit like it usually should in P3D and when right clicking on the screen the option for the virtual cockpit is greyed out as well. I'm using P3Dv4.3 . Thanks for any tips.

Egyptair687

Good morning,

has anyone be successful with running Externalsim with Version 2.2 Prepar3d ?

I could run the Router but was not able to connect to the sim.
The router gives a no client message.

As I have read, Externalsim does not use Simconnect ?

What could be the reason, that externalsim does not connect to Prepar3d ?

thanks in advance
Ahmed

Gary Oliver

Ahmed,

Unfortunately you will need P3D 3.3.5 or higher.

The V2 API didn't include everything needed to allow External Sim to work.

Cheers
Gary