News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

- Time sync is inhibited when Flaps are deployed. To force a sync, push the captain's clock button

Just curious... why is this?

Hoppie

Mark

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Tue,  7 Nov 2017 23:50
- Time sync is inhibited when Flaps are deployed. To force a sync, push the captain's clock button

Just curious... why is this?

If the PSX time is different to the P3D time by more than a few minutes, upon injection P3D blacks out the screen and shows a loading bar for 10-30 seconds. This is quite bad during phases of flight where you typically have flaps deployed.

Being able to force a sync comes from Gary's multiple P3D instance setup - if one of the 3 P3D instances crashes (usually due to one of the 3rd party programs interfacing with P3D) and comes back up - you need a way to force a time sync if the crash occurred whilst flaps are deployed otherwise you can end up with the sky a different colour on one of the projectors.

GodAtum

Thanks for the fantastic work! Just one question, does the parking brake get detected by GSX and virtual airline software, as mine does not?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Mark on Wed,  8 Nov 2017 00:00
Being able to force a sync comes from Gary's multiple P3D instance setup.

Engineering reality strikes again!   :-D

GodAtum

Unfortuantely I've had to go back to the previous version. In the new one, my plane is underground and it is very very laggy on takeoff and landing, even though P3D is running at 30fps and PSX 70fps.

Also no clients are shown even though everything works.

Mark

Quote from: GodAtum on Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:17
Unfortuantely I've had to go back to the previous version.

I'm sorry to hear this, version 2.5.0 ran for over 150 hours continuously last week on a complex setup. The only relevant difference I can think of is that it was installed by Gary who has worked very closely with me on External Sim so knows it inside out. It's possible that for others; my instructions aren't informative enough.

Please could you confirm that you followed the instructions and that they are clear at all points? I'm happy to accept there is scope for improvement there.

cavaricooper

As an aid to myself, being fairly addled, I have written these step-by-step instructions after Mark's patient ministrations.... hopefully this helps.... 

DELETE ALL PRIOR VERSIONS OF EXTERNALSIM- IF YOU ARE NETWORKED- CHECK EACH COMPUTER!

- Use Control Panel to delete ALL prior versions of ExternalSim.
- Manually ensure the ExternalSim program folder is deleted.
- Manually ensure that the 2 files in the Public Documents folder are deleted.
- Manually ensure that the .dll in your chosen ExternalSim aircraft are deleted.
- If you get any warnings when installing the NEW versions... go back to CP and RECHECK... something is lurking...

Download and unzip the latest ExternalSim version from Dropbox.

ON THE Prepar3D Computer-

CHOOSE WHICH VERSION YOU ARE INSTALLING AND COPY TO AND

- Run PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Installer.v3.msi OR Run PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Installer.v4.msi- NOT BOTH
- Then COPY TO AND RUN PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Configuration.Installer.msi
- Go to Start and run the P3D ExternalSim Configuration Program
- CAREFULLY SELECT THE SPECIFIC P3D 744 you want to use and CHOOSE THE aircraft.cfg
- TICK THE BOX for External Sim Enabled

- Open the dialogue box- Open ExternalSim.xml

There- ONLY IF NEEDED (i.e. PSX Boost is on another computer) change the
  <RouterSubAddress> tcp://       and
  <FeedbackPubAddress> tcp://
  from default (same computer) to the correct IP of the chosen ROUTER COMPUTER

- SAVE and then close the P3D ExternalSim Configuration Program with the Red X box

ON THE PSX Boost Server Computer-

- COPY TO AND Run PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.Installer
- Then COPY TO AND RUN PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Configuration.Installer.msi

-THERE OUGHT TO BE NO CHANGES HERE AS THIS IS THE COMPUTER WITH THE PSX BOOST SERVER AND THE    ROUTER, but VERIFY the paths in the XML by selecting the Dialogue Box.
- SAVE and then close the P3D ExternalSim Configuration Program with the Red X box
- IF YOU NEED TO ADJUST THE MODEL'S HEIGHT ABOVE GROUND make changes to the 4.4 value in the
  <MinWeightModelOffsetM> I did not have to change this... but if you go the wrong way, just CLOSE, EDIT and       RESTART the ROUTER- no need to bother PSX or P3D.

TO RUN

- Start PSX Boost Server & select your SITU
- Start ALL Clients
- Start ALL PSX Ecosystem Support- AS14+ASCA, PSX.NET, BAACARS, PSXAloft- everything except PSXonMCP2 which must be started after P3D so as to override LINDA
- Start P3D ExternalSim Router (on the same machine as the PSX Boost Server)
- Start P3D
- Select the P3D ExternalSim aircraft- DO NOT CHANGE AIRPORT/TIME etc.
- Select FLY
- WAIT... there are usually 2 P3D loads and it all takes a bit of time... however, once sorted it's fabulous!

- NOW CONTROL EVERYTHING THROUGH PSX- Time, ZFW, Fuel, Etc.- YOU ARE MOVING A CAMERA THROUGH THE P3D WORLD- THAT'S IT.

PLEASE NOTE- ALL OF THIS is already in Mark's carefully created document. 
Being a Git... I made a ready reference for myself... hopefully it is useful to others as well, and not just extraneous.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Just a thought, do we still have to rename instances of "aircraft" or "airplane" to EXTERNALSIM in the aircraft.cfg file?
Peter

cavaricooper

Peter-

No MANUAL editing of the .cfg was needed (at this end at least).

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Just to add some balance to this thread..for the guys having difficulty getting it to work..please persevere..
I just flew SALZBURG-INNSBRUCK-SALZBURG with P3D4.1, ActiveSky V4, Envtex and Envshade with commercial ORBX/DDS scenery at both ends.
3 projectors running off a 6700PC, one GTX 1080Ti Card, with moderate settings, and ExternalSim running the connection.
Smooth as silk. It was the most fun I have had recently with or without my clothes on!
Mark's ExternalSim has at last enabled stutter-free scenery generation, on the ground, in the air...
Thank you Mark!
Peter

Chris Kilroy

Quote from: Britjet on Mon, 13 Nov 2017 21:23It was the most fun I have had recently with or without my clothes on!

Even more fun than when Mavis went to reset the IFE?  ;D

I've gotta say, I've spent the past few days upgrading my sim to P3Dv4 (from 3.5) and the smoothness I'm seeing now with v4 and Mark's ExternalSim is like nothing I've ever seen in any iteration of MSFS/P3D, including the commonly accepted benchmark for smooth visual performance, a well-tuned FS9. I used the NVidia control panel to lock the projectors at 30Hz and run P3D with VSync on (triple buffering off) and frame rates set to unlimited. That combination locks the frames at a rock steady 30 FPS no matter what scenery/weather I throw at it. It's a thing of beauty.

Thanks again, Mark!

kwieser76

HI all,

I have a question to Taxi light.
In my set up they are not working :-(

I use folloing model Project Opensky
- and this setting for lights.
-  i have the version 2.5.0 ExternalSim Router

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing 6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=logo                   
light.0 = 1,   61.500,    0.600,   19.100, Opensky_beacon ,
light.1 = 1,   13.500,    0.600,   -7.080, Opensky_beacon ,
light.2 = 3, -122.850,    0.383,   11.750, Opensky_nav_yellow ,
light.3 = 3, -122.850,   -0.383,   11.750, Opensky_nav_yellow ,
light.4 = 2, -123.850,    0.000,   11.045, fx_strobeh ,
light.5 = 3,  -13.850,    0.000,   14.850, fx_vclighth ,
light.6 = 9, -208.500,   -4.500,   43.750, Opensky_wing_light , // <-----3 previously
light.7 = 9, -208.500,    4.500,   43.750, Opensky_wing_light , // <-----3 previously
light.8 = 5,  -79.700,  -29.200,   -2.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.9 = 5,  -79.700,   29.200,   -2.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.10= 5,  -46.500,  -11.700,    0.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.11= 5,  -46.500,   11.700,    0.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.12= 5,  -40.500,  -13.700,    1.900, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.13= 5,  -40.500,   13.700,    1.900, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.14= 5,  -14.333,    0.000,   -2.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.15= 3,  -18.300,   -6.500,    6.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.16= 3,  -52.610,   -4.500,    6.000, Opensky_nacelle_refl ,
light.17= 3, -144.510,    0.000,   -3.000, Opensky_wing_light ,

any idea?

thx

Kurt
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

Mark

You're probably missing the light effect files in the P3D effects folder.

kwieser76

Quote from: Mark on Sun, 26 Nov 2017 17:55
You're probably missing the light effect files in the P3D effects folder.

tell me more about this file (name)

thx
Product Owner Lido/Flight ASC
Lufthansa Systems (LIDO)

GodAtum

got everything to work apart from taxi light :) I'm using gary's special 747 model he posted about previously.

farrokh747

first of all, thanks Mark...!

Q: is there any ini file to control any parameters ? I ask because my radios don't seem to be talking to P3d - i read in the change log something about being able to switch the radio link (PSX > P3D) off/on -

are there any other user controlled options?

I'm Using P3D v 3

cheers,

FC

CarlBB

Apologies if I missed it - but is there a recommend 747 aircraft to use with the P3dv4 ?
Interested in trying out this add-on :)
Thanks
Carl

farrokh747

Quoteis there a recommend 747 aircraft to use with the P3dv4

there is a download link on this page

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=3629.380

CarlBB

Captain_Crow

Sorry guys, no luck on my side again.

Single computer system.

Did all as described in the manual. Version 2.5.0
Checked the entries in the public/Documents folder , no entries from Externalsim
Checked the aircraft.cfg from the Poskly PSX_NET 747F, no Externalsim entry and no .x64.dll installed there.
Configuration and the Router.ex are in the Start menu
Result: No Client...

I repeat: I did the installation as described, also the config stuff of course.
I am on my end..
Hours of deleting and installing, no success here.

Could be the german Win7 Pro version be the problem ? Or what else ?

Best

Steff