News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

Britjet

Hi Scud. I have the same using POSKY, and I am sure Mark is aware.
Peter.

ScudRunner

Mark

The flaps are jerky because they match the rate at which PSX generates those variables. VisualPSX applies further smoothing to the flap positions.

I'm focused on getting movement silky smooth (XYZ position and XYZ angular rate) and given that flaps aren't normally visible in a cockpit, the focus on nice-to-haves like this will be in a later version.

Latest news: I'm working on a 2.4.0 version at the moment that will have much smoother visuals during taxi and yaw turns. The beta testers are very happy, I'm just working through 1 last improvement before release.

cavaricooper

Quote from: Mark on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 14:23

I'm focused on getting movement silky smooth (XYZ position and XYZ angular rate) and given that flaps aren't normally visible in a cockpit, the focus on nice-to-haves like this will be in a later version.

Latest news: I'm working on a 2.4.0 version at the moment that will have much smoother visuals during taxi and yaw turns. The beta testers are very happy, I'm just working through 1 last improvement before release.

Mark-

THAT IS INDEED VERY GOOD NEWS... thank-you for all you do for us.  Your software in INDISPENSABLE for my 744 simulation sessions, and I remain obliged.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Mark

PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim 2.4.0 now released. See post 1 of this thread for download link.

Change log:
- New yaw velocity algorithm (this makes turning whilst on the ground look much smoother)
- Tweaks to the positional velocity algorithm
- Algorithms are now active during ground handling (pre 2.4.0: it wasn't active at speeds below 15 m/s)
- MSI installers, installed as P3D plugin
- New configuration application
- AI traffic issue now solved. Time sync is inhibited when Flaps > 0 and TAS > 1.
- Updated advice in installation instructions regarding PSX frame rate limit – it's no longer required to run at 72, and in some cases, lower values can be advantageous

This is a completely different installation experience so it's worth reading the instructions. You can now turn AI traffic back on as the time sync is occurring much less frequently and is inhibited in some scenarios to prevent a P3D reload during critical flight phases.

Britjet

Brilliant! Thanks so much Mark.
Very good news about the traffic..

Peter..

Captain_Crow

No succes on my side... installed as described. Aircraft.cfg shows new data. But no Client in the router window occurs. PSX Boost numbers are increasing... deleted PSX.NET.P3d.Externalsim.x64.dll before Installation. No new *.dll in the aircraft folder after installation. With the version 2.3.0 the P3D aircraft stood at E0,W0 at startup, not now anymore. Its on a rwy 19 at KVPS

Seems I need help again...

Best
Steffen

ScudRunner

Hi Steffen,

I found that when this error occurred (launching in the middle of the ocean at N0, E0)  it was due to something being incorrect in the aircraft.cfg file.

1) Check that you have the 3 lines added correctly under the title=' (in the [fltsim.0] block)
ExternalSimID = {3E6B47E7-C706-4A10-BC88-6E7C199ED5A6}
ExternalSimData = 0
ExternalSimModule = PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.dll (check you are using the .x64.dll reference however if using P3Dv4)

2) Make sure you have changed any lines in the .cfg file that read  Category=airplane to Category=externalsim. (I recall in my POSKY 744 .cfg file thre were 2 lines like this.)

3) Make sure that you DON'T change any lines in the .cfg file that read Category=aircraft. I did this by mistake initially and it took me a while to work out what I had done wrong.

4) Once you get the connection working check whether P3D seems to reload the scenery every few seconds. I f it does check that your AI object sliders are all `off'.

I hope this is of help.

chrs
Scud.

Mark

Scud,

Version 2.4.0 changes a lot of things, it's worth reading the instructions. A lot of what you describe is now automated by the Configuration app in 2.4.0.
Your advice is spot on for versions previous to 2.4.0 but is less applicable to 2.4.0.

AI objects can now be used too.

Captain_Crow

Hi Mark and Scud,

first of all a big thank to Mark to bring this stuff to us. And thank you Scud to jump in here.
I installed 2.4.0 strictly after the instructions. But did not delete the older files. Configuration asks for changing the old stuff anyway. But as I said, doesn´t work for me. Since I am total confident wit 2.3.0 I deinstalled 2.4.0 and it works as before..Sometimes its a question of time I have for fiddeling around...

Best as ever

Steffen

cavaricooper

Mark-

As the local git... first- THANK-YOU! 

Next, as normal, I am hopelessly lost and unable to connect once more.  v 2.3 works fine, v 2.4 does NOT.  Could I verify that this is all working with Prepar3D v4.1?  I will keep trying.

Thanks again!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

JohnH

I am using version 2.4 with P3D v4.1 and it works perfect, however I did notice that if you have more than 1 livery in the aircaft.cfg file (example [fltsim.0] British Airways, [fltsim.1] Air Canada). The line ExternalSimID={3E6B47E7-C706-4A10-BC88-6E7C199ED5A6} only seems to get added after [fltsim.0] and not after [fltsim.1]. So if you select Air Canada as your 747 livery ExternalSim will not connect. Adding ExternalSimID={3E6B47E7-C706-4A10-BC88-6E7C199ED5A6} in the [fltsim.1] section seems to correct the problem.

John

Britjet

I can verify that there is a HUGE difference in the smoothness in azimuth compared to 2.3.
One, actually two, mistakes that I made were to not delete the externalsim.dll in the aircraft config file, and to amend the XML files correctly as described in the instructions, notably, you have to include the "10760"/"10761" bit.
Also make sure that you first uninstall 2.3.x, and remove all references to externalsim in your files before you install the new version.
Mark has done a great job simplifying the installation.
It is WELL worth the effort to get it right!

Peter

Mark

Hmm, I'm not too confident that the instructions I've bundled are perfectly clear, so here are some additional notes:

- Use the Configuration app on the P3D machine to set up the aircraft.cfg (JohnH has actually pointed out an interesting caveat)

- Use the Configuration app shortcut buttons for editing both of the XML files (so install the Configuration app on your boost/router machine too if this is seperate). This will ensure you're editing the right file.

Gary Oliver

I also made the mistake of not running the configuration app on my boost machine to update the XML...

However with P3D locked at 30FPS and PSX locked at 60/2 I think somehow Mark has made External Sim run P3D smoother than P3D runs itself with a flight model...

Absolutely stunning Mark, I shall be standing by with a bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and a takeaway next time you come over... Thanks Again!

Mark

Quote from: JohnH on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 17:42
Adding ExternalSimID={3E6B47E7-C706-4A10-BC88-6E7C199ED5A6} in the [fltsim.1] section seems to correct the problem.

Spot on, good work on the self-diagnosis. I'll investigate how much effort is required for me to discover all the [fltsim.n] sections and add it to all of them.

Chris Kilroy

Wow! What a difference, especially on the ground making quick turns (which used to become a bit of a slideshow). Super smooth now with not even a hint of a stutter.  ;D

Thank you, Mark!!

cavaricooper

Running beautifully, once we sorted the ijut in the cockpit ;)

Router & BOOST on one PC and P3D on another- off to fly... Ta Mark!

C

PS- Noted the following-

-  Squawking C on the ground (vPilot) is not possible (box not ticked for auto) and that the
-  landing lights appear and disappear (but this may be related to the afcad....).
-  periodic FLASHING of the screen... I thought this might be Active Sky, however, occasionally it is full black...
-  strobe flashing is still constant in the POSKY a/c regardless of switch position
-  rear (tail) strobe still appears about 1/2 fuselage length behind a/c
-  when selecting x2 simulation speed- the display goes from day to night....? and back to day with x1
-  almost seems like there's some interaction between ExternalSim and AS14+ASCA... clouds popping out and
   morphing back in....

NONE of these are show stoppers, and I mention here, in case there are others seeing these issues. 

The SMOOTHNESS is many factors above the last build- WELL DONE and MANY THANKS!!!
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Gary Oliver

Quote from: cavaricooper on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 20:00
-  Squawking C on the ground (vPilot) is not possible (box not ticked for auto) and that the

Yes I noticed this too...

Mark

Odd.

-  periodic FLASHING of the screen... I thought this might be Active Sky, however, occasionally it is full black...

I'll keep an eye out for this.

-  strobe flashing is still constant in the POSKY a/c regardless of switch position
-  rear (tail) strobe still appears about 1/2 fuselage length behind a/c

Both can be fixed if you edit the aircraft.cfg.

-  when selecting x2 simulation speed- the display goes from day to night....? and back to day with x1

Is this the simulation rate in P3D? Why would you do this?