News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

Flex

I am definitely seeing a drop in fps using externalsim. I may have got something set up incorrectly.

Same situation and exact replica aircraft see a drop in 15-18 fps. I have tried identical posky models one with and one without the modification:

Posky non modified: 61fps

exact same model but with externalsim: 44fps

I kept everything else the same included the view angles etc.

Strange?

F

**This was on the ground. My frames fluctuate somewhat when airbourne but they aren't as good as i would have expected considering i'm not rendering a VC or the like. I don't have this problem in complex integrated a/c like the pmdg for reference. In fact i get similar frames in the PMDG 777.

Mark

That's good to know Felix, thank you for doing the tests - I'll see what I can do to improve this.

Edit: By the way, it's my observation that frame rates in P3D tend to be limited by CPU for reasonable levels of GPU settings as you'll see that 1 CPU core's worth of processor is usually maxed out (but Task Manager may show this spread over multiple cores).

Flex

Glad to be of some help.
For what it's worth: I'm finding that whichever model I use as soon as I configure it as an externalsim some of the light positions get mixed up: tail, logo light and beacon to be exact. They seem to move quite far aft once I enable a model with the mod; even if before hand they were all correctly positioned. Maybe something to do with the lighting model?

F

Hardy Heinlin

I have no idea, but might this be related to the fact that the PSX position data output for external scenery generators refers to the pilot's eye position, not to the aircraft center?

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi,
I still struggle to get it to work on a network.
On one pc it works flawless, over a network no deal.

All public and user files are shared and can be seen and altered from the other pc.
On both machines.
PSX and P3D folders also shared
PSX.NET.P3D  Externalsim map shared
Externalsim .xml code
192.168.0.152 is the ip address from the PSX router pc
[sxml version="1.0"?>
<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <SettingsVersion>1</SettingsVersion>
  <RouterSubAddress>tcp://192.168.0.152:10760</RouterSubAddress>
  <FeedbackPubAddress>tcp://localhost:10761</FeedbackPubAddress>
  <DebugPubBind />
  <DebugLogToFile>false</DebugLogToFile>
</Settings>
][/s]

ExternalSimRouter xml
192.168.0.151 is the P3D ip address

xml version="1.0"?>
<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <PsxBoostIP>127.0.0.1</PsxBoostIP>
  <PsxServerIP>127.0.0.1</PsxServerIP>
  <PsxServerPort>10747</PsxServerPort>
  <RouterPubBind>tcp://127.0.0.1:10760</RouterPubBind>
  <FeedbackSubBind>tcp://192.168.0.151:10761</FeedbackSubBind>
  <TimeSync>true</TimeSync>
  <MinWeightModelOffsetM>4.4</MinWeightModelOffsetM>
  <PrimaryP3DMachineName />
</Settings>

Used the firewall tool as described here.
Run MMC  and set to enable /allow/allow
Installed the simconnect.msi that comes with P3D , on both servercand client pc
Still no luck, what am I doing wrong?
Ivo
A day at this forum is a day learned!

JohnH

Hi Ivo,

I'm think this line also needs to be the IP address, instead of localhost.

<FeedbackPubAddress>tcp://localhost:10761</FeedbackPubAddress>

John

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi John,
Thanks, but it makes no difference , still no luck.
Ivo

Mark

Gosh Ivo... your XML settings are so far off the defaults no wonder it doesn't work!

Try:

PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <RouterSubAddress>tcp://192.168.0.152:10760</RouterSubAddress>
  <FeedbackPubAddress>tcp://192.168.0.152:10761</FeedbackPubAddress>
  <DebugPubBind />
  <DebugLogToFile>false</DebugLogToFile>
</Settings>

PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <PsxBoostIP>127.0.0.1</PsxBoostIP>
  <PsxServerIP>127.0.0.1</PsxServerIP>
  <PsxServerPort>10747</PsxServerPort>
  <RouterPubBind>tcp://*:10760</RouterPubBind>
  <FeedbackSubBind>tcp://*:10761</FeedbackSubBind>
  <TimeSync>true</TimeSync>
  <MinWeightModelOffsetM>4.4</MinWeightModelOffsetM>
  <PrimaryP3DMachineName />
</Settings>

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Mark,
Ashamed, embarrassed, so sorry to take up your precious time.
It works like a charme now.
Strange, because I had version 1.8.0 working, on the same network,  realy messed up the xml files  here!

But again thank you verry much for your effort and help!
Much apreciated !
Ivo

Mark

That is most excellent news, enjoy!

Mark

PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim 2.3.0 now released. See post 1 of this thread for download link.

Change log:
- FPS improvement
- XML setting files can now be placed next to the relevant binary file
Behaviour: If settings file can't be found in Public Documents, it will now search in the folder containing the binary.
(Applicable to both PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.dll and PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.exe)

As you can see from the change log this release contains no new features, only improving the existing code. The FPS improvement should be decent for everyone who is on 2.1.0 - 2.2.0.
(In my test case, an improvement from 110 to 170 FPS was observed. For those of you with scenery and addons installed, you'll obviously be running a much lower FPS, so the improvement should be more noticeable than it is for me!)

Note 1: If you're upgrading from 2.0.0 onwards, the XML files require no change.
Note 2: If you're upgrading from prior to 2.0.0, the XML files need to be replaced.

cavaricooper

Mark-

Vlying now from RPLL-RCTP.... cannot express enough gratitude for your continuing work....ta!  As far as performance, it was great before- and great now.  Unlike most, I have stopped looking for FPS, locked at 20FPS and ELIMINATED LONG FRAMES- smooth as silk...

C

PS- will comment on performance after, but connection was flawless.
Taxi and Landing Lights work correctly, whilst (wing) strobes are ALWAYS on (with the tail white showing still way behind the a/c when the switch is actuated).
Logo does not work.

Performance is superb- even 90 turns on the ground (the hardest to render IMHO) are great. Ta!

PPS- For those of us not using projectors, is there a way to feather the light beam differently (landing lights) so they dissipate without the clear delineation?
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

JohnH

Hi Mark,

I am running PSX and P3D on an iMac and my frames went from 50 to 70 with 2.3.0. As always thanks so much!

John

J D ADAM

Greetings Mark,

Trying very hard to get your program working but getting no feedback from P3D.

First quick question     your instructions say:-

Move the ExternalSim configuration file to Public Documents: File PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.xml Location C:\Users\Public\Documents

My computer says C:\Users\Public\Public Documents.

Is this the correct file?

Cheers
Derek

cavaricooper

Derek

Yes, that's where my 2 files live.  All works well.

HTH- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

J D ADAM

Thank you     what are the  TWO  files?

cavaricooper

Derek-  I hope this is more clear, sorry mate! 
(Keep in mind my PSX Server, P3D and ExternalSim are all on ONE PC) Forgive the MAC OS illustration (I work on a Mac, but FLY (mostly) on a PC network).

The remaining two files (the PDF and the Router.exe) can be placed on the C: drive in a folder of your naming (mine is ExternalSim)

Just don't forget to edit the aircraft.cfg in the SAME folder you put the .DLL

Once it all works it is NIRVANA... getting it to work is WORTH the effort (I have needed lot's of help from kind souls here (including Mark himself), but then I've never been bright.  Mark has really created something WONDERFUL!
I love Charles' "wonderful "British PSX Task Force" phrase- Gary's sim (just like Matt's has done with VisualPSX etc.) has benefitted us all here in so many amazing ways.  We are indeed fortunate!

Let us know how you get on....

Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

J D ADAM

Hi Carl   Thank you for your response.  However I am using W7 on both the P3D and PSX computers.

My users directory is C:\Users\Public\Public Documents               (not documents)

I am still not getting feedback  from P3D but it is certainly filling in my days trying to solve my mistake which is stopping me from getting it to work.!

Mark Thank you for the file that sorts out Windows Firewall.

Cheers

Derek

cavaricooper

Derek-

The folder for those two files is indeed C:\Users\Public\Public Documents.

Are you using the LATEST version of P3D?  That version of Simconnect is needed for ExternalSim 2.x and was what prevented me from making the connection.  Updating to the latest Client fixed it for me....

HTH- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

J D ADAM

Carl,

Downloaded the latest P3D with no joy.  You say there should be two files in C:\users\Public\Public Documents.  One is PSX.Net.P3D.Externalsim.xml.

What is the second?

Also where should simconnect.xml reside?

Thanks

Derek