News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim

Started by Mark, Fri, 17 Jun 2016 14:05

tango4

Hi Mark and Gary,

I am also interested in giving your add on another try for two reasons. First, obviously, to take advantage of a scenery generator. But also as it offers a solution to the "winds aloft" problem by using the other adequate programs.

Now, my question: were you able to solve the offset problem or do you have any solution in mind ?
The reason I ask is because it is kind of a deal breaker for me. To keep my P3d setup running smoothly (other than this potential use, I use it with Majestic Q400, some a2a aircraft and intend to use FSLABS A320) I do not use add on airports. I use orbx global products though to improve the global appearance (Ftx Global Base+OpenLc Europe + Vectors with very low settings). I update the global data using data from this site: http://www.aero.sors.fr/navaids3.html
So the problem I had was some frequent misalignment between P3d scenery and PSX runways... Kind of a problem.
I notably encountered this issue at LFPG which is where I fly most frequently. So how do you deal with it in simfest U.K. Sim ? Do you only use payware add-ons or is there a workaround ?

Besides that point, I was really impressed by the smoothness you achieved. This tells a lot on your skills obviously, and the simple fact that you share hours of work and effort here is much appreciated.

Charles

cavaricooper

Mark-

As a further follow-up, this latest version seems to not "re-sync" immediately with P3D when changing time in PSX.  Prior to this, as soon as the time was changed, the sim would reload terrain data and scenery objects.  Now, I have to close PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim, and when I re-open it reloads P3D correctly (with the time change).

I also experience the "sinking" mentioned by Peter... I did change the ExternalSimData = 0 line back to = 0 from the initial values of 75, 75, 100 that I was using from Gary's a/c model..... should I go back to those?

To further complicate matters, there seems to be some type of interaction between vPilot and PSX.NET ExternalSim, where vPilot cannot enter the "Voice channel" when it is started after PSX.NET P3D ExternalSim is running.  I have confirmed my HOST & CLIENT vPilot v2 install works fine when using P3D standalone.

HTH... sorry for the issues... but perhaps they are also pointers....

Ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

kev32b

I have recently added another computer to my system and updated to psx external 2

Computer one (windows 10) runs PSX Server with Psx External router once connected the valves go up on external.net and shows as a client on PSX

Computer two (windows 8) runs P3d v3 when running the plane sits in the middle of the ocean and does not move .

I have followed marks instructions to the letter but can not get it to work on networked machines.

I have turned off both firewalls to see if that helps but made no difference
Any ideas .
Kev

cavaricooper

Kev-

In my case it came down to a couple of OLD files being left behind from one of the initial versions. Check to make sure the ONLY files present are the ones in this release.

HTH- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Mark

Quote from: kev32b on Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:04
Any ideas .

Going forward, I think for all troubleshooting queries of this type, I would like to request the following things:

- A copy of the contents of PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.xml (use the code tag in your post for this)
- A copy of the contents of PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Router.xml  (use the code tag in your post for this)
- A link to a screenshot of the Router console output (sadly this forum doesn't allow attachments)

This gives me a great headstart on being able to help you.  :)

Btw, if you've never come across the code tag, it does this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <SettingsVersion>1</SettingsVersion>
  <RouterSubAddress>tcp://192.168.0.15:10760</RouterSubAddress>
  <FeedbackPubAddress>tcp://192.168.0.15:10761</FeedbackPubAddress>
  <DebugPubBind />
  <DebugLogToFile>false</DebugLogToFile>
</Settings>

JohnH

I have purchased P3D and set it up with PSX and PSX.NET all seems to connect fine. I am using the POSKY 747 as P3D does not come with a 747 aircraft. I am finding that the strobe light flashes about 5 ft behind the tail of the aircraft? Can this be modified somehow in the aircraft.cfg file?

John

Tigh

Quote from: kev32b on Mon, 16 Jan 2017 13:04
I have recently added another computer to my system and updated to psx external 2

Computer one (windows 10) runs PSX Server with Psx External router once connected the valves go up on external.net and shows as a client on PSX

Computer two (windows 8) runs P3d v3 when running the plane sits in the middle of the ocean and does not move .

I have followed marks instructions to the letter but can not get it to work on networked machines.

I have turned off both firewalls to see if that helps but made no difference
Any ideas .
Kev

Hi Kev,
Sounds like you've got one way traffic but not two way. Sounds a daft one but did you reboot both machines after you turned their firewalls off? (That's what caught me out) Are you running ExternalSim as Admin (another one that has given me better results in the past).

Cheers,
Dan.
Regards,
Dan

Simfest Drink Coordinator.

Gary Oliver

Kev,

Having been caught out before... With the windows firewall 'Off' isn't actually 'off'.

Try on all 3 profiles ensuring inbound and outbound default action is set to 'Allow' with the firewall mode to 'on'.

Cheers
Gary

Britjet

Let's see if phrasing it differently helps...
On computer one - in public documents - PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSimRouter.xml (note this is the xml, not the router exe)
Just leave the default PSX (127.0.0.1) IPs in there. Don't change a thing...

On computer two - in public documents - PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.xml
Change the RouterSubAddress to the local IP of your PSX machine.(computer 1).

On computer two - in your simobjects/airplanes/747 folder ..
Place PSX.NET.P3D.Externalsim.dll
In the Aircraft CFG file - make sure you have placed the THREE ExternalSim lines that Mark describes, and replace all instances of Category=Aircraft or Category=Airplane with Category=externalsim

It's probably a long shot but might be worth looking at different wording - also check that you can actually access each PC's public folder from the other PC - there might be a network sharing or firewall issue otherwise.

HTH

Peter

Tigh

Quote from: Britjet on Tue, 17 Jan 2017 15:25It's probably a long shot but might be worth looking at different wording...
As a non-techy I can cope with "Client" and "Server" or "FS machine" and "the other one"; must confess the phrase "router" confuses me.
Regards,
Dan

Simfest Drink Coordinator.

cavaricooper

Mark-

Just continuing to follow up... I am now having an issue with landing lights showing, and landing gear position syncing. The a/c still moves correctly, but there are no landing/taxi lights and no lowered landing gear. Additionally, vPilot works but DOES NOT join the voice channel. I can text but cannot communicate via voice. ATC can not see me in the voice "room".

The gear and lights have worked in the past, so there may be some sort of simconnect conflict issue (depending on if I start ASN before or after P3D and PSX.NET P3D)...

HTH- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Mark

I've just written an app that will configure windows firewall to open up the exact ports required for ExternalSim.

The app can be downloaded here:
PSX.NET.P3D.ExternalSim.Firewall 1.0.0

As this is an app that is changing system-level settings (which will worry some people), I've open sourced it so anyone can review it.
Source code

Before running this app, ensure that the XML configuration files in Public Documents are present & correctly configured.

If you're running a multiple machine setup (router on a different machine to P3D(s)) then run this app on every machine.

SIMU-3G7

Thanks Mark

For you dedicated work for this community.
Is this possible to have the aircraft model and file you are using with your setup please.

Thanks a lot. :)

Gilles-Gabriel :D
Up There With The Best Of The Best...

Gary Oliver

Aircraft model is here....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dr0ubmcb2qvs8z6/PSX_747.zip?dl=0

Also just another reminder that the firewall when set to 'off' isn't actually off.  We fixed the issue with kev32bs setup tonight on Teamviewer by doing the following :-

1) Start > Run > mmc
2) Add 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security'
3) Right click properties
4) In all 3 profiles (public, private, domain) set the 3 options to 'On','Allow','Allow'

JohnH

I was just trying your Aircraft model file and when running psx.net.ped.externalsim.router.exe I get No Clients message, however PSX network shows a client connected. I re-installed the default psx.net.p3d.externalsim.dll file and it connects ok. Could something in the new psx.net.p3d.externalsim.dll be causing a connection error?

John

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:35

Also just another reminder that the firewall when set to 'off' isn't actually off.  We fixed the issue with kev32bs setup tonight on Teamviewer by doing the following :-

1) Start > Run > mmc
4) In all 3 profiles (public, private, domain) set the 3 options to 'On','Allow','Allow'

kev32b

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 18:35

1) Start > Run > mmc

Just to say thanks to Gary  & Mark truly amazing skills these guys have got psx.external.net working a treat
Only issue got now is there is no outside lights taxi or runway on your model
Kev

Gary Oliver

The lights only show from the virtual cockpit.

SIMU-3G7

Thanks a lot Gary.

Cheers

Gilles-G@briel
Up There With The Best Of The Best...

Gary Oliver

Ah yes the zip file is a few months old and contains an old externalsim.dll, just replace this with the latest one.

JohnH

Works great! Thanks alot for posting the file.

John

Quote from: Gary Oliver on Thu, 19 Jan 2017 15:56
Ah yes the zip file is a few months old and contains an old externalsim.dll, just replace this with the latest one.