News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

12 o'clock view in the middle of the PSX windshield?

Started by emerydc8, Mon, 16 May 2016 21:11

emerydc8

I don't know why, but it seems that every one of my saved situs has been switched from the left seat position to the right seat. I went into the Human tab and set them all back to the left seat (left seat circle checked and saved), but it's having no effect. I am using only PSX for the visuals.

When I drag the windshield so the center post is to my right, it looks like I'm flying sideways and the center post blocks the runway. When I drag the center post to my left, the runway is straight ahead. I suspect (hope) there's a setting somewhere that I'm missing. Thanks.

Jon D.

Edit HH: Changed thread title

Hardy Heinlin

It's impossible that a situ changes its stored PNF seat on its own. Perhaps you're misunderstanding its function: The seat determines which instruments your PNF refers to when making calls, and which panels and CDUs are controlled by the PNF when doing the silent tasks. It doesn't change your desktop layout. The layout is stored in 9pack files, not in situ files.

|-|ardy

emerydc8

I don't know what happened. What I think started it was that all my instrument screens shfted about a foot or two to the right for no reason. I think it's the DataLink USB-VGA converter I am using. If you disturb it, it causes this to happen. I had to drag the panels to each monitor, reset and save every layout again. It was then that I saw that every situ I went to had the right seat box checked under the Human tab.

emerydc8

I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong on my end, but here's a pic of what I see out the front. If I move the center post over to the right, it blocks out the runway and looks like I'm flying in a crab when I look out the windshield.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-WRh0Hf7VdZYmhrX1VkTWxsNE0/view?usp=sharing

asboyd

The problem lies with the way the OS addresses the offset for the USB convertor. I was using one for my CDU's using Nico's PSXseecon. Every time I started the laptop running the USB convertor the screen offset was reset back onto the main screen. This is due to the lag in starting the device and the OS addressing it.
I eventually replaced the laptop with one that had two outputs (VGA and HDMI) this resolved my problem as hte offset never changes.

USB devices are OK for cloned displays but not multiple views.... :(

Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: emerydc8 on Tue, 17 May 2016 00:09It was then that I saw that every situ I went to had the right seat box checked under the Human tab.

That's the normal setting; all situ files from the PSX DVD set the PNF on the right seat. This is because most users want to be PF and sit on the left seat. PNF and PF shouldn't sit on the same seat.

Anyway, this setting really doesn't affect your graphics.

Your 12 o'clock view is always in the middle of your selected windshield frame, no matter where your center post is. If the 12 o'clock view isn't in the middle, then your selected windshield frame is bigger than your monitor. You may check that no part of the PSX screen is off your monitor screen. This would also be a waste of graphic power.

|-|ardy

emerydc8

QuoteAnyway, this setting really doesn't affect your graphics.

I agree with you. I thought this might have had something to do with the view out the front but I see it does not.

QuoteIf the 12 o'clock view isn't in the middle, then your selected windshield frame is bigger than your monitor. You may check that no part of the PSX screen is off your monitor screen.

With both edges of the visual screen showing, I still can't get a view of the centerline lights from the left seat. When I move the center post over to the right, I can't see the centerline lights and it appears that I'm looking off to the left side. Maybe it has something to do with NVIDIA Surround. I'll have to do some playing around with this one. I'm totally stumped. With the three screens for visuals, I can only see the centerline lights with the center post to the left (as if I were sitting in the right seat). When I right click on the visual screen and drag the visuals to the right, expecting to see the centerline lights appear to the left of the center post (the post does move to the right), at some point I lose the 12 o'clock view and I'm looking at the PAPI on the left side of the runway.

QuoteUSB devices are OK for cloned displays but not multiple views....

I agree. I have to get rid of this DataLink USB device. I am running two NVIDIA GTX 960s 970s in SLI mode - not because I want to, but because the NVIDIA software won't let me unbridge them (it thinks they should be bridged and won't run the two unbridged). Having to bridge them took away three ports on my main i7 4790 and I only had room in my motherboard for one more video card -- a GTX 610 to drive the remaining PFD/ND, upper EICAS, and lower EICAS. I needed the USB device to power the CDU. About every six months, I think it decides to spike all my visuals and shift them out of the frames. I'm getting better at putting them back now, but I really do need to shift the CDU over to my i5 computer where there are four empty ports for VGAs. All I am running on the i5 is the overhead and center pedestal so the CPU usage is really very low on that one.

asboyd

Agree with you on the Datalink. I have relegated mine to an old laptop with two monitors for my CNC....

All works well under XP  ;)

I found buying refurb I5 laptops the best way to go for adding displays (plus some new laptops power up when mains is applied, so no more looking for push buttons when starting the sim.)

Cheers,
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: emerydc8 on Tue, 17 May 2016 06:35When I right click on the visual screen and drag the visuals to the right, expecting to see the centerline lights appear to the left of the center post (the post does move to the right), at some point I lose the 12 o'clock view ...

You need to check if the left and right PSX frame borders lie within your monitor. 12 o'clock is in the middle between the PSX borders (or between the windshield borders, whichever is closer). If the border is off your monitor somewhere in outer nirvana, your 12 o'clock is close to nirvana as well, and you won't get it back until you drag the PSX border back into your monitor area.

|-|ardy

emerydc8

Thanks Hardy,

I have at least 3" of black screen on the outboard sides of the left and right screens. The windshield post can be seen on the center screen. When I right-click on the center screen and drag the curser to the left I can see the runway centerline lights for HKG RW07R, as if I were sitting in the right seat.

But when I right-click and drag the curser to the right, I can't get the centerline lights to appear, no matter how far I drag it. I am just seeing the red PAPI lights on the left.

https://youtu.be/thj-RYsHeRI

Am I adjusting this right?

Hardy Heinlin

Where is your PSX frame border?

There should be no black area left and right. Otherwise you will drag the whole windshield layout left right along with center post and scenery, and the center post will get off the centerline only when the black area drifts off the PSX frame border.

emerydc8

QuoteWhere is your PSX frame border?

Problem solved! Thanks, Hardy. You were right -- I had stretched the right border so far to the right that I was dragging the whole scenery with me. There was no visible white border on the right. What I thought was the right border was actually the green frame. After reducing the size of the visual display window, I was able to get the borders the same on both sides. Cheers.

cagarini

Show image please emery, and if possible any details on the PC setup you have to run it that way:

- How many PCs and OSs and how they run their copies of PSX;
- How you start the full setup when using PSX...

I would like to be able to run PSX standalone with such a visual setup, but I guess using more than one PC would be better than a single mlti-monitor ( 3 monitors  ) PC ( ? )

emerydc8

The DataLink USB converter caused all the screens to shift to the right when it did its thing. I didn't realize it also affected my visuals. The border of my right visual screen was several feet off the right side of the screen (out of view). What I thought was the right border was just the green frame line. Hardy saw the problem right away when he asked where my frame border was. Anyway, here's my setup:

Main Computer: Quad-Core i7 4790 4.0Ghz, GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 motherboard, two GTX 970 (4GB) graphics cards (running in SLI), one GTX 750 Ti (2GB) graphics card. Three Vizio E390-A1 39" 1080p HD LED screens (for visuals). In addition to driving the visuals, my main computer drives the PFD/ND, Upper EICAS, Lower EICAS and CDU. I needed one extra port on the i7 to drive the CDU, so I had to add the DataLink USB-VGA converter. I plan to eventually migrate the CDU over to the second computer and never deal with the DataLink again. After buying the DataLink, I found a note somewhere on their support website that it doesn't play well with NVIDIA 700 and 900 series graphics cards (the most common cards out there). It actually disables most of my NVIDIA control panel, so I had to set up my NVIDIA graphics settings with the DataLink software disabled.

Secondary Computer: Quad-Core i5 4460 3.2Ghz, Two GT610 graphics cards. The i5 drives only the overhead and center console touchscreens. ACER T232HL touchscreen (overhead), Dell 21.5" touchscreen (center console).

That's about it.

cagarini

Thx emery.

That's a sophisticated setup :-)

I've saved the description for future consideration of a multi monitor / pc setup for my PSX.

emerydc8

You're welcome.

Not to stray too far from the subject, but since my Monoprice USB 2.0 Display Adaptor caused this problem, I just removed it from my system and moved my lower EICAS over to the GT610 card on my secondary i5 computer. As Alex said previously, these devices are not good for multiple views. And they are horrible if you are mixing them with any NVIDIA graphics cards.

Back when I was running FSX, the Display Link software caused FSX to hang up and would never let it start. I had to start my computer with the Display Link port unplugged, then start FSX, then plug into the Display Link. If the Display Link program was running it wouldn't let me start FSX -- FSX would just hang up on the start window. I can't tell you how many hours that one took to troubleshoot.

I have a friend who just bought a few NVIDIA NVS 810 graphics cards. http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvs-compare-product-specs.html

They claim to power up to 8 displays per card, but it looks like it is only for an application where you would want a surround setting like my three visual screens. I don't know if they could drive individual panels. I also don't know whether they could handle the demand of a gaming-type program like FSX with add-on packages.