News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

ATC voice set

Started by Ivo de Colfmaker, Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:45

Ivo de Colfmaker

hi,
I struggle sometimes with understanding  ATC, probably due to the fact  my ears are aging, (as the  rest of my body ....).
So made two   ATC  voices, i.e. , my own voice, not  likely gonna win a song contest, but I can understand it better. If I start to smoke a might  end up sounding like Joe  Cocker .
it is the  first time  I recorded something, used  Audacity for it.
It is the  same voice, a slower one and a faster one, If ok for Hardy  I post the link for you  guys to give it a go .
ivo
A day at this forum is a day learned!

Avi

Hi,

Hardy is offline but I'm sure he won't have any problem. PSX (as PS1) was designed (and tested) to support extra ATC voices. It will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Ivo de Colfmaker

hi,
I made 6 voice sets, a normal voice, a low pitch voice and a midrange one, in slower mode  and faster mode.
unzip all files into PSX/Audio/ ATC folder, that's all.
If you do not like it, just hit the delete button, something my wife would like to
have sometimes ....
ivo

Edit'
Removed the link, not good enough, try and replace it with a better one
Thanks
Ivo

Avi

Thanks,

When you said you did several "voices" I thought you did PSX (or Hardy) "trick" and played the same files with different speeds.

If you take a look in the ATC folders, you will see (for example) files inside Peter folder but inside Philbert you will see PSX plays Peter's files at 86% and with Prunella it is Peter's files at 117%.

Anyway, don't feel bad about it. I installed it, did very few tests with all the voices (only did "contact tower..." and "taxi to runway...") and it looks ok.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Ivo de Colfmaker

hi Avi,
the problem is that  when using the Hardy trick like you say, you change the pitch and the speed.
When I play let's say Ivo slow and increase the speed for instance  in a folder called Jenny by playing 117 ivo slow, then I sound like donald duck on the helium.
The way  I did it only the speed  changes.
So in fact made  1 recording, the slow one, then edited the speed on all files to convert to fast , without changing pitch.
then again editing the 2 files to  change pitch, without changing speed, to midrange and  low.
some work, and a learning process, since it was the first time i used it.

hope it is of some use to anyone.
ivo

Ivo de Colfmaker

pcpilot

Hi Ivo,

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to produce the extra set of ATC voices.

Just tried them on a short flight from Belfast to Heathrow and really impressed.

They are very clear voices and suit my ageing ears as well :-).

Once again many thanks.

Graham.

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Graham,
Your welcom, hope it is of use.

Any feedback is always welcom, i wonder if  there should be a voice that's faster to be more realistic?
And thanks for the kind words
Ivo

tango4

Very nice indeed !
I too had some trouble understanding stock voices. Your work is really appreciated !

Charles

Ivo de Colfmaker

Glad  you like it,  it was fun to do.
Ivo