News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Read messages?

Started by Will, Mon, 15 Jun 2009 03:02

Will

Hi, I used to get an orange ball next to threads with unread messages in them, but since Friday that's not happening anymore. Any idea what's up?

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Will

Replying to my own thread... I get the blue globes just like I always did, but they don't turn orange for new messages anymore.

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Have you already tried deleting your aerowinx cookies?

|-|

Phil Bunch

Sometimes I need to click the "reload page" button in my web browser to refresh the button colors.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

Okay, I deleted the (two) aerowinx cookies, and I believe the deletion was confirmed because I had to log in again. Once I did, all the button colors are still blue. And Phil, I "reloaded" the page both before and after I deleted the cookies, and the buttons all stayed blue. FWIW there used to be a small blue or orange button next to the big ones; the small one was the one to click on to get to the last or newest post. That's disappeared. Anyone else having trouble with this?

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

Have you already tried the best of all browsers: Opera?

|-|

(I can't live without those Opera mouse gestures anymore. As ergonomic as it gets.)

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Hate to say it, but no problems whatsoever with Firefox.
Let the Browser Wars begin...

Garry Richards

Quote from: Will CronenwettAnyone else having trouble with this?
You are not alone, Will. I am running Firefox on Vista and strangely, everything works for me on this forum but the orange colours and the small blue buttons come and go on the PSX alpha forum that uses the same software. Even after deleting both Aerowinx cookies the problem returned. Weird.  :(
Garry

John Golin

I'm running IE on XP and no problems... Jeroen... :P
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Will

So Garry has problems too. I saw this originally on Safari, and confirmed that the same behavior is present on Firefox.

Hardy, is this a bug or a feature? (grin)

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

I don't know, Will. When I get some free time, I'll check the support forum of the developpers of this forum software. Perhaps it's a known issue.

|-|

John Golin

Interestingly a Firefox user just reported suddenly encountering similar sounding problems on the VATPAC forums... maybe not related, but still...

Has Firefox pushed out an update?
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Will

Dunno but I'm getting the same behavior on both Firefox and Safari. And it started last Friday.

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

What did you do last Friday?

martin

Script blocking active?
(Just a guess, I don't know if the "bulbs" are script-based.)

Cheers,
Martin

Phil Bunch

FYI, I'm using Firefox, the latest version, with 32-bit Vista, version 3.0.11, recently updated (probably within the past few days - can't remember specifically).

My experience with the orange vs blue and small vs large buttons is stable and has been 100% repeatable as long as I can remember (probably since forum startup).  All I have to do in order to obtain accurate, up-to-date colors and sizes is to reload the index web page, which is the one that contains these buttons.  If some of them were orange and I read the orange messages, the buttons turned blue when I reloaded the page, but not without reloading it.  If I just click "back" to the index page, I get the colors I started out with, so apparently the index page does not automatically reload just because you read the orange-coded messages.

I personally find the behavior of the index page to be OK and similar to other Forums - I usually have to reload index pages if I want to see the color coding or whatever change after I've read some of the new message.  I actually find it useful to be required to reload the index page since I sort of stare at the index page and unconsciously memorize the color coding and note which messages change during the reload.  Until this thread I hadn't realized that I prefer such reload-drive behavior.

I have NoScript installed in Firefox but I have given Aerowinx a permanent "allow scripts" exception on my PC.

I hope this extra info is useful or at least not totally irrelevant!
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

So the other thing that happened for me is that the small button next to the message title disappeared entirely. (Garry, is this happening for you too?)  I used to see a large button in the first column, and a small button in the next column adjacent to the title of the thread. When I clicked on the large button, I went to the original post in the topic. When I clicked on the small button, I went to the first unread post.

Now, the small button has disappeared entirely--none of them are there.

The large button is always blue.

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Garry Richards

Quote from: Will CronenwettSo the other thing that happened for me is that the small button next to the message title disappeared entirely. (Garry, is this happening for you too?)
Yes, it happened today on the other forum (as it does about 50% of the time). I had to trawl threads based on the date and time of last posting to find new messages, but it it all works normally here, as it always has so far.

I suspect this is a UseBB 1 forum software issue rather than a Firefox issue.
Garry

Will

Okay, I just downloaded and installed Opera. I've got the same behavior on Firefox, Safari, and Opera. Nothing but blue buttons.

Will
Will /Chicago /USA

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It can be caused by cookie mishandling, though this "should" also influence the Forum always requiring a login.

You need to see two cookies in your cookie tray. Both come from aerowinx.com. One is named session744_sid and the other session744_al. Their contents is irrelevant for you.

If these cookies aren't present, or are always thrown away after you close the browser, you are basically anonymous to the Forum and it will only show blue, ever.

Jeroen