News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

CDU screen blanking

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:29

Peter Lang

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinI think when the message "Resynching other FMC" occurs, the system has not crashed, it was just too slow with the synching. It is synching all the time. Are the same old computers installed nowadays? I recall they had 16 bit and max 1 MB of RAM (aside from the additional redundancy features).

He used the expression "....das ganze System abkackt..."  what I translated as "crashed". :mrgreen:

onward:
"Wir schieben es dann immer auf den C64 Prozessor der verbaut ist"

I do not know if he's kidding.  :)
Peter

delcom

Hi Hardy,
some additional info on FMC related CDU behavior:

1. Navigating between INIT REF, RTE, DEP ARR, ATC, VNAV, FIX, LEGS, HOLD, FMC COMM, PROG, NAV RAD pages results a 0.5 sec blanking.

Example: NAV RAD page is displayed, pressing the DEP ARR key blanks the screen for 0.5 second, then the DEP ARR page is displayed.

2. Navigating from INIT REF, RTE, DEP ARR, ATC, VNAV, FIX, LEGS, HOLD, FMC COMM, PROG, NAV RAD pages to the MENU page causes no blanking nor delay.

Example: VNAV page is displayed, pressing the MENU key instantly displays the MENU page.

3. Navigating from the MENU page to INIT REF, RTE, DEP ARR, ATC, VNAV, FIX, LEGS, HOLD, FMC COMM, PROG, NAV RAD pages will cause no blanking, but will delay 0.5 sec.

Example: MENU page is displayed, pressing the LEGS key will cause the MENU page remain displayed for 0.5 sec, then the LEGS page is displayed.

cheers,
d

Hardy Heinlin

Wow, thank you, Delcom!

I'll enter these values in the code.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Will

Brace yourself, Hardy, for the messages on the support board after release: "I found a huge BUG! Navigating between INIT REF and RTE causes a 0.5 sec blanking... but going from INIT REF to the MENU page causes no delay and no blanking!  What's more, navigating from the MENU page to INIT REF will delay 0.5 sec!!!"
Will /Chicago /USA

delcom

Quote from: Will CronenwettBrace yourself, Hardy, for the messages on the support board after release: "I found a huge BUG! Navigating between INIT REF and RTE causes a 0.5 sec blanking... but going from INIT REF to the MENU page causes no delay and no blanking!  What's more, navigating from the MENU page to INIT REF will delay 0.5 sec!!!"

Lol...also prepare yourself for posts like this:

Hey Hardy, what's it with it? My FMC no good. no matter which page I'm @, any time I press DEL teh skreen goes craaazy. Totally black, 'bout 0.3 sec later only the frikin DELETE message is on the scratchpad, looks really stupid. The YELLOW anunusicator (the little window on the side of the FMC) shining at 0.4 sec, duuuh....@ T+0.5 I got the rest of my FMCskreen back. What's with this vibration, man? I can't beliv Honeywell design is this messed up.

cu,
477pro

delcom

Quote from: Will CronenwettBrace yourself, Hardy, for the messages on the support board after release: "I found a huge BUG! Navigating between INIT REF and RTE causes a 0.5 sec blanking... but going from INIT REF to the MENU page causes no delay and no blanking!  What's more, navigating from the MENU page to INIT REF will delay 0.5 sec!!!"

Lol...also prepare yourself for posts like this:

Hey Hardy, what's it with it? My FMC no good. no matter which page I'm @, any time I press DEL teh skreen goes craaazy. Totally black, 'bout 0.3 sec later only the frikin DELETE message is on the scratchpad, looks really stupid. The YELLOW anunusicator (the little window on the side of the FMC) shining at 0.4 sec, duuuh....@ T+0.5 I got the rest of my FMCskreen back. What's with this vibration, man? I can't beliv Honeywell design is this messed up.

cu,
477pro

Will

"Another BUG...  There's no sound of tires screeching when the main gear touches down!"
Will /Chicago /USA

Hardy Heinlin

:-)

Are the values in your joke serious by chance?

When you press DEL ...

... the screen blanks?

... 0.3 sec until DELETE message appears?

... 0.4 sec till the MSG light is on?

... (the MSG light is yellow, not white, or was it yellow because it was dimmed?)

... 0.5 sec until the screen is back?

Who knows, perhaps it was seriously meant :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Shiv Mathur

Hilarious, delcom !! (loved the "teh")

John Golin

I'm pretty sure he's being an 'end user'.... :)
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

delcom

The values and behavior are correct, Hardy.  ;)

EDIT: I like his confusion about FMC and CDU, and of course he sends his post twice...just to make sure. The original post I've created was a lot longer and even more confusing. I didn't understand it myself, so I decided to cut it short.

regards,
delcom

Jamie

Quote from: Peter LangHe used the expression "....das ganze System abkackt..."  what I translated as "crashed". :mrgreen:
hehehe I hear that almost every day :D then if the sync fails "Independent mode". But this is on the Fokker70/100.
Jamie
No Kangaroos In Austria!

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: delcomThe values and behavior are correct, Hardy.  ;)

I bet you also know if the screen will blank when the DELETE message is being removed (by a second hit on DEL).

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Avi

Hi Hardy,

Will you make this blanking time an option so if someone doesn't want to wait this time_delay, he can just uncheck a checkbox and the time delay will be 0?

Thanks,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Avi,

probably not. Too expensive, and 0.5 sec is not much really (PS1.3 has it, too).

It's just a minimalistic nuance, but with it, the look and feel of the CDU is so much more authentic (for me at least) that old cockpit memories come alive again. The box has got its own "soul", instead of being just a picture.

Hope you'll be convinced when you see it yourself :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

delcom

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinI bet you also know if the screen will blank when the DELETE message is being removed (by a second hit on DEL).

If you hit DEL for the second time, it will blank the screen for 0.5 but the DELETE message on the scratchpad remains.
If you hit CLR, that will remove the DELETE message and extinguish the white MSG instantly. No delay, no blanking.

cheers,
delcom

Hardy Heinlin

One more question if I may:

When transfering an entry down to the scratchpad, will the screen blank as well?

(E.g. on the NAV RADIO page, when downselecting entries from the PRESELECT lines.)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Peter Lang

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinWhen transfering an entry down to the scratchpad, will the screen blank as well?

The answer I just received is: Yes.
Almost every entry lets the screen go blank

Hope this helps
Peter

Hardy Heinlin

Thanks, Peter.

Just to avoid a misunderstanding: Do you consider a down-selection to the scratchpad an "entry" as well? "Entry" could also exclusively mean an up-selection to one of the 6 lines.

|-|ardy