News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

1 ENG OUT

Started by martin, Tue, 10 Nov 2015 20:18

martin

Moi,

this video is from the other side of the fence (A340), but perhaps still permissible on this forum as it is about a failure. I found it quite interesting.

Cultural Note: The language you hear (apart from English) is not Basque.

Xheers,
Martin

John H Watson

Interesting. Did I hear the F/O say that she was flying? However, she was still looking at manuals and ECAM displays, her head was down and she was asked for her opinion on the problem.

No matter how smart the cockpit is, it seems that you still need a third person.

Phil Bunch

I had some trouble convincing myself that this video is not a recreation, as follows:

There apparently were multiple video cameras set up to video both pilots, the instrument panel, and some window views, and the cockpit from the front windscreen.  Perhaps the close-ups of some of the instruments could have been done in a simulator.

IIRC, the crew was eating dinner during part of the incident.  This seemed odd to me.

Yet the ATC dialog seemed appropriate for the situation, as best I could follow things, considering the accents and (for me) unfamiliar language used between the pilots. 

Is it possible that this video wasn't a real event?

Regardless, I enjoyed the video.  The computer translations of their dialog into English is hysterically funny in parts, BTW. 
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Phil,

the event surely was for real and it is actually described >>here<<.

The excellent cinematographic coverage is due to the presence of a film team from Munich (Germany)-based Aigner Media who are doing high quality aviation DVDs and Bluerays under the PilotsEye.TV label, very similar to what Justplanes does, but mostly for German/Swiss/Austria based airlines.

By chance, they were able to capture a real one engine out sitation on video tape. Bad luck for the crew and the film crew, they were unable to continue to Shanghai and film the complete rotation LSZH-ZSPD-LSZH. (Their DVDs normally show one full rotation.) Both, crew and film crew, returned for a second take.  :D This second take was later published (in 2012) on DVD and Blueray, see e.g. here on Amazon.com.

The youtube video is included on the disc (which I own) as bonus material, as footage from take one.

Hi JHW,

> Did I hear the F/O say that she was flying?

yes, she does. The dialogue initiated by the captain roughly translates to "I'm talking to the mechanics [maintenance] momentarily, can I hand over voice [talking to ATC] to you. [unintelligible swiss words] You are [pilot] flying anyway.". Then he starts talking to maintenance.

Surely you did notice that maintenance had exactly the same problem one day earlier on a test flight.  :-*

> However, she was still looking at manuals and ECAM displays, her head
> was down and she was asked for her opinion on the problem.

They were climbing FL270, no traffic (she metioned it once). I wasn't concerned about that, looked okay to me.

Markus