News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSXAloft II : new upper wind and turbulence simulation for PSX

Started by JP59, Wed, 14 Oct 2015 14:27

JP59

JP59

Hello,

PSXAloft v.2.1.1 is available. Please note this new version is compiled with VS2015, so you need to install Visual C++ 2015 redistributable package, if it is not already installed on your computer. Standalone installers for both x86 and x64 systems are included within the PSXAloft 2.1.1 package.

In this new version I implemented an hardware printer output feature. Please have a look at the new PSXAloft manual provided for further details.

In a far :) future, when my ground handling add-on will be finished, I'll integrate everything in a new add-on called PSXTools. Every feature (WX, ground handling, pushback, printer, cabin simulation,...) will be integrated in a single add-on and fully selectable.

Edit : Version 2.1.2 uploaded. Option added to insert empty feed lines at the end of the paper sheet. See manual for further details.

Cheers,

cavaricooper

JP-

Ta!  Appreciate the pointer from the other thread, I had no idea.  I will upgrade PSXAloft today.  I love the idea of an integrated suite, that is a great idea!

Question- I run PSX server on one computer, PSXAloft on another (with 1 PSX client), whilst the printer is hooked up to an an abacus (actually an OLD Pentium 4 box on XP) that just runs the center forward panel (another PSX client) and the printer.  It is an old parallel interface, and that is the only machine with a parallel port.

If I SHARE that printer across the network, will PSXAloft "see" and use it?

EDIT- ok, I see that PSXAloft will only print to the DEFAULT printer on that particular machine... so I believe currently I would have to install PSXAloft on the abacus (which ought to be ok, as it isn't particularly demanding of the CPU).  I cannot make the shared printer DEFAULT on that machine, as I use it for other purposes as well....  ta!

Thanks for your continued work on this ecosystem- I wish I were smarter and could contribute, but know I am most grateful for this communities efforts.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cavaricooper

JP-

re. v2.1.2

I cannot find the config.cfg file you mention in the manual re. printing.  The printer kept printing multiple pages, despite the default OFF.....?

There is a config.ini file as usual, however, there is NO printer line to look at....

Any thoughts?  I had to roll back to v2.1 as it kept printing multiple pages at every ACARS/BACARS message.

Thank-you,

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

JP59

Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:54
JP-

re. v2.1.2

I cannot find the config.cfg file you mention in the manual re. printing.  The printer kept printing multiple pages, despite the default OFF.....?

There is a config.ini file as usual, however, there is NO printer line to look at....

Hello,

It is config.ini, my mistake. I modified the manual

I am confused. There is a new PRINTER line in the new config.ini file provided. Did you erase the whole last PSXAloft folder and copy the whole new PSXAloft folder on your computer ?

Regards,

JP59

Quote from: cavaricooper on Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:54
Any thoughts?  I had to roll back to v2.1 as it kept printing multiple pages at every ACARS/BACARS message.

To all : please re-download PSXAloft package if you did it before today 1746Z. There was something wrong with the config.ini file which was producing multi pages printing. I'm sorry.

@Carl : Thank you for your report.

Cheers,

cavaricooper

JP-

I will get the new installer in the am- Ta! Absolutely NO apologies needed- we are lucky to have such talent shared!

With your last build v2.1 I have been very happy with winds at FLs.  I look forward to this one.

Will there eventually be ability to use the NON default printer?

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

JP59

Hello Carl,

Thanks for your kind words. There is no change from version 2.1 regarding WX. Only new printer output feature added. I think you should try with your networked printer. If it is shared and defined as the default printer on the PSXAloft computer, it may work. I am not 100% sure so if you could give it a try and report please.

I do not plan to supply the usage of a non default printer.

Cheers,

bublegom

Hi Jean-Philippe

I try with my default network printer and it works fine.
Thank you

François

JP59

Quote from: bublegom on Sat, 13 Feb 2016 11:32
Hi Jean-Philippe

I try with my default network printer and it works fine.
Thank you

François

Great ! Merci François for your feedback.

Edit : A little trick. I use a notepad file called "printerSheet.txt" to "buffer" the data before sending to the printer. This file will be created at the first printer output from PSXAloft and is placed in the main PSXAloft folder. To avoid printing default notepad file header and page bottom, just open the file in notepad, then go to file - page layout and cancel header and bottom text. You only need to do this trick once. Notepad will remind your settings.

JP59

cavaricooper

JP-

So far I've been very happy with v2.1.2... Off to grab v2.1.3... Many thanks for your continued dedication to this important facet of long-haul simulation.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Hessel Oosten

Jean-Philippe,

Simple question please.
I add PRINTER=1 to the config.ini.

But... printing doesn't work to the default printer.

When looking for the cause of this problem I see:

After closing PSXAloft (2.1.3) in the config.ini, every time the added sentence: PRINTER=1 is removed ?

Hessel

JP59

Hi Hessel,

The config.ini file is very sensible to newline characters, as I use these newlines in getline() function in order to retrieve the data. Be carefull to only delete the character(s) after the '=' and do not delete newlines invisible characters.

Please download again PSXAloft package and replace your config.ini file with the new downloaded one. It should work (tested on my system OK). Report if you still have problem.

Cheers,

Hessel Oosten

Hi Jean-philippe,

Yes, Yes !

It immediately functions now after this new download.

Thanks a lot, again !

Hessel

J D ADAM

Hi Jean -Phillipe,

Would you clarify for me that the wind vectors I obtain from ASN/PFPX  are automatically transferred to PSX.
I know that there can be a 5% randomness but my results are greater than this. I do have PSX weather untagged.

Thank you in anticipation
and kind regards

Derek

cavaricooper

Derek-

I have found 'tis best to use PSX Flight Path METARS, live PSX Wx.  PSXAloft only functions above FL200..... leaving PSX to rely on it's own METAR based Wx for lower levels- works brilliantly this way.  PSXAloft will read and send the Wx from the current active wx file (on my iPad so off the top of my head it lives at C:\users\name\appdata\roaming\hifi\asnp3d\weather\activewxfile). 

Then if VisualPSX is ticked, it will send PSX Wx to P3d as well.... in "close" approximation.  It all comes together incredibly well- I am often immensely satisfied by seeing ASN winds at my level reflected within a very few degrees/kts on my ND whilst the outside view approximately depicts the Wx as well.

HTH

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

JP59

Quote from: Derek Adam on Mon, 29 Feb 2016 20:44
Hi Jean -Phillipe,

Would you clarify for me that the wind vectors I obtain from ASN/PFPX  are automatically transferred to PSX.

Yes. Above 20000ft.

I know that there can be a 5% randomness but my results are greater than this. I do have PSX weather untagged.

Sometimes ASN predictions are different with real WX you can see during the flight. It can also happen in the real world. PSXAloft simply injects live or ASN flight plan file WX in PSX, that's all.

Regards,

J D ADAM

Hi JP and C for your replies

Quote:-
Sometimes ASN predictions are different with real WX you can see during the flight. It can also happen in the real world. PSXAloft simply injects live or ASN flight plan file WX in PSX, that's all.

I have prepared a flight plan for UUEE/LFPG.

I will quote the results I am getting for one waypoint        TU       at FL380

from active flight planner     064@4     084@2      225@2     215@6     248@9   

from flight plan (PSPX)                                                218/043

from flight plan ASN command centre                         204/8

from downloaded Route Data on FMC (PSX)               220/25  (Fl390)

Actual weather as displayed on the ND                         212/16

So you see i am getting some acceptable variations but like JP I like accuracy in my flight planning, even though my flying may be of questionable quality!

I do not have PSX weather ticked and have PSPX ticked to get the weather from Active Sky

Somewhere along the way I am doing something wrong but cannot think what!

Be assured I am grateful to all the addons programmers.

Thank you for all the contributions.

Regards,
Derek

JP59

I also often get these differences, which are very acceptable. PSXAloft do not modify ASN WX data at all, only straight injection from ASN/FSX/P3D to PSX. So these differences comes from ASN, not from PSXAloft.

In my opinion, it is a good thing. I also like accuracy, but it will be boring and unrealistic to have exactly the same value on the flight plan and on the ND during all the flight.

Don't forget aloft data on your PFPX flight plan is a forecast, which can be made some hours before you overfly the waypoint in question. Like in the real world, sometimes forecast can be wrong, or slightly different.

Just a trick, be careful to always start PFPX after ASN has started and downloaded the last WX snapshot, in order to build your flight plan with the latest data.

Cheers,