News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Basic question about malfunctions and abnormal lists

Started by Kabbers, Sat, 29 Aug 2015 13:33

Kabbers

Hi,

I've been having a great time learning PSX flight basics for a while, and I thought it would be interesting to think about using the malfunctions menu for the first time now that I've got some good flights under my belt.

So before setting up any malfunctions, I looked to the abnormal procedures steps at the back of the superb manual, and those make sense; but will I need any other resources/information to begin handling malfunctions? There's a note saying the abnormal lists are "some examples" so is there a larger set of abnormal procedures for instance?

To sum up, I am at a basic level, I am enjoying my zero-malfunction flights tremendously, and just now thinking about what I need to start accurately reacting to malfunctions?

Any tips much appreciated friends :)

Cheers and good flights,
Kabbers

Raj Hoonjan

Hi,

I found a QRH for the 747-400 on the net. Search "747-400 QRH" via google - it's the very first link, for me anyway.

It was a great find. Looks like an Air India QRH.

If Hardy is okay with it, I will post the link, else I'll pm you the link to download the QRH.

Delving into malfunctions now more than I ever have in any sim.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Raj

torrence

Britjet's Tutorial videos are also a great source for handling various non-normal conditions - e.g. Go-arounds, engine out procedures, etc.  I hope he keeps them up.
Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Kabbers

Hi Raj, hi Torrence, thanks SO much guys for your friendship and help here!

I've just located and started to browse that 430+ page QRH you indicated Raj - wow, I confess I didn't know about QRH's at all... now this makes a lot more sense to me to have one of these bigboy books by our side at all times, a whole new world just opened up to me w00t! so turn on some lighter malfunctions and keep the QRH by my side, is my next plan...

Britjet's tutorial videos rock, spent most of my time so far watching how Britjet handles VNAV, thanks Torrence for the pointer, I hope Britjet might some point create a tutorial about reacting to random malfunctions and reaching for the QRH... reacting appropriately etc. if this is how it goes in reality...

Jeeps, are there any other basic reading list elements like QRH that I should know about? :-)

Thanks muchly,
Kabbers X

Britjet

I'm glad you like the videos, Kabbers..!
I plan to concentrate on non-normals quite soon. There is a list of my "work plan" on the videos page.

Peter
(aka Britjet)

Kabbers

Hi Peter, superb ... I'm intrigued how it goes in real time once a malfunction alert hits our human senses... from a procedural/steps point of view, but also in terms maybe of the human factor  (I'm reminded from rock climbing that when something goes wrong, it's not just about the next literal steps but also about handling the human factor)...

so looking through this QRH I've just downloaded, I'm wondering how much is memorised, how much is absolute procedure, how long it takes to find the right page (!), whether you take an in-breath before reacting to the situation, all this...and more -  can't wait to find out :)

w00t gents!
Kabbers

Raj Hoonjan

Hi Kabbers,

The QRH coupled with Britjet's tutorials is certainly an eye opener.

In all honesty, I only searched for the QRH after watching one of Peter's tutorials:

23) Single Engine failure on take-off - management
https://youtu.be/LIFGSb35xYs

Furthermore, this tutorial provides an example of where it is critical to accomplish memory items first.

Looking forward to more 'practical' tutorials too.

Raj

Tord Hoppe

Try google "Non–Normal Checklist 747" and look at the pdf located at pinetree.school.something. I think that contains more of what you are looking for, non-normal checklist and memory items.

My guess is that these lists are constructed so that the non-normals that have memory items are found on the front page, looking at these checklists there is a dashed line somewhere along the action. My guess is that everything above the dashes are memory items, the rest below the dashed line is read-do.

All non-normal situations are found in the "normal" index, the ones with memory items(?) are in bold typeface.