News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Is the latest Java version useable?

Started by farrokh747, Mon, 29 Jun 2015 06:50

John H Watson

For info...  I've just updated to Java Version 8 Update 121 (build 1.8.0_121-b13) and my PSX frame rates have gone down to 8 per second on my Windows XP PC.

Anyone else still running XP?  ;D

Cheers
JHW

Icarus747

I just installed it last night on a machine and PSX works fine.
THRUST REF, VNAV SPEED!

John H Watson

Thanks... It looks like a have an issue with my computer graphics... I just cleaned the fans and heatsinks on my computer and so far so good.... Cancel the Java warning!

Cheers
JHW

cavaricooper

Getting ready to update Java across my network... latest version is jdk-9.0.1

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk9-downloads-3848520.html

Any concerns with this version or am I good to go?

Ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

United744

Trailblazer! :P

Do you gave the 8 installer, just in case?

Kurt

JDK 9.0.1 installed - works flawlessly here on my Mac - It seems subjectively that PSX runs slightly better and keeps the 62 FPS more stable than version 8.

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

Keith Maton

I just installed JDK 9.0.4 on my 27" 2017 retina iMac and I'm getting a very steady 62fps.

evaamo

I'd also like to report that PSX is running great using Zulu9, an OpenJDK (9.0.4) from Azul systems both on Windows and Mac.
Enrique Vaamonde

pacwest18

Just gave it a try on Oracle's JDK SE 10.0.2. All seems to be working well.

Tested it using a 2015 13" MacBook Pro with the latest version of Sierra (10.12.6) and under Win10 via Bootcamp on the same hardware.

asboyd

I was using 10.0.2 however it seems as though it occasionally causes PSX to start without any display on the screen (just completely brown) and then Java hangs, You have to use Task Manager to stop the process in order to restart PSX. It started happening after the July update to windows 10 and failed one out of every 5 or 6 starts. I have gone back to 8 181 and have not had a bad start yet....

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

pacwest18

Interesting. I did experience the brown screen startup once so far, but didn't think much of it. I'll have to keep an eye out for a recurring pattern.

Regards,
Stacius

asboyd

I was running PSX on 3 PC's one for flying (at present). One for testing hardware and one for driving my two CDUS.
I have had the issue on two of the PC's but never on the one that was running Java 8.. My CDU machine no longer needs PSX as it is using Nico's PSXseecon to give me the CDU displays, but I have rolled both of the PC's giving me trouble back to Java 8...

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

GodAtum

For people's info, Java 10 crashes, this has been tested on 4 different PCs with Windows 10. Java 9 works fine.

United744

I'm still on Java 8 (1.8.0_192). Runs fine. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

What does Java 9/10 offer, anyway?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

(just some input from another point of view)

Even if newer versions don't 'offer' anything, lagging too far behind means that when you need it, you can no longer make the jump to current. Things such as Java move along, not only for features, but also for compatibility, performance, future requirements, and to drop arachaic deprecated stuff. It gets increasingly difficult to make the jump to the next version if you wait longer and longer. In industrial applications, staying current is a real headache, and holding onto an older version usually leads to big trouble later.

Of course, if jumping to current breaks things, don't! But you will need to allocate time to find out why, as the next jump is coming, and it won't necessarily fix your problem.

The number of installations I've seen (not PSX, anything) that got locked in a stone age well past because of the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' adagium cannot be counted on two hands. Aviation definitely has its share.

Hoppie

United744

Agreed. Just lately I have seen the "latest" updates that force changes to the software using them (looking at you iOS), taken as an opportunity by the app developer to not fix the software, but radically change it from how it was in the previous incarnation, which I completely object to (several apps I was previously very happy with were "redesigned", and utterly broken by the changes).

I know PSX will remain PSX, but when something is working, why re-build it from scratch "just because of the latest update"?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

No, indeed, rebuild from scratch is not the correct approach in many cases.

Well PSX was rebuilt from scratch when the platform changed   :-)

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

I'm running Apple OS X 10.9.5 with Java 11.0.2. No problems so far (almost; see edit below). Instructor map graphics seem to load faster by 20% compared to older Java versions. But I don't know if the new version is really the cause of this.

|-|ardy

Edit: This Java version tells PSX (the Java application) the window is "maximized" when the window size is nearly full screen size even if it hasn't been "maximized" but just enlarged by mouse dragging. When truly "maximized", clicking the Mac OS X maximize button will unmaximize it. Unmaximizing by clicking that button won't work if the window has been enlarged by mouse dragging. -- The problem for PSX is now that it will not command the stored layout size and position when PSX is informed that the window is maximized. Of course, the user wants to keep the maximized size when selecting a smaller layout. That's why the user maximized it. And that's why PSX will not reduce it when it's maximized. Now that "maximized" info from Java 11 is unreliable. To bypass this bug in Java 11, the next update PSX 10.70 will ignore the "maximized" signal from Java 11. Mac-Java 11 users who want to get a maximized window need to maximize their windows by mouse dragging. Just resave your modified layout pack file and the problem will be solved for good.

Mac-Java 11 bug workaround now available in PSX 10.70:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=4191.0

For reference: This Java bug seems to be related to this one which already existed before version 11:

https://bugs.java.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=8158215

Hardy Heinlin

I now have Java 12 for the Mac and I see no difference to Java 11 so far.

|-|ardy