News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

some info about VoxAtc and a big thank you!

Started by Ivo de Colfmaker, Fri, 8 May 2015 18:32

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi,
 Until PSX came out I used to fly the 767.300 level D plane for FSX, after years of PS1 thought I could give it a try.
The weakest thing in my humble opinion in FSX was the ATC module. And flying on IVAO or VATSIM was for me not that great an experience , tried it, but , I did not understand the commands always, sometimes poor  sound quality, or bad English, or maybe just  my ears ......And not always coverage for the  whole flight.

So after looking for some good ATC add on I chose VOX ATC . Nice bonus was a free 7 day try. Still some robotic sound  but one big advantage, it uses speech recognition , is great for training purposes , it uses the real  phraseology  , and all stations always manned .And say again does not give you a grumpy sound if you ask it for the  fourth time......
To get a more human voice got myself some additional   voices from Ivona, not cheap, but very good quality.

Then PSX came out and it was goodbye FSX, and VOX ATC.
But when Garry made his wonderful Visual PSX and TrafficPSX there was a new life for FSX as a scenery generator .In the mean time swapped for Prepar3D 2.4.
And now VOX ATC is Prepar3D compatible, so gave it a go, and it works great.
Mind you, there are some issues, VOX ATC controlles  the traffic, few or many, your choice ,but there is always a chance that an AI plane lines up on the same runway you are landing, or one of those AI planes does not response to air traffic control  correct, keeping the program in a loop.

to make it work you need to load a flight plan, I use PFPX, send it to Prepar3D, the PSX /routes folder,  and a third copy to AIVLASOFT EFB. The latter is optional.
You then need to launch FSX/ Prepar3D, and now FSX steam also, load the flightplan, and save the flight.
And of you go.

The communications are visible if you wish in text form, also what you need to reply, and can be switched of .
what I really like is that you got 2 options,

option1 , use the artificial FO, he/she then handles all the communication and the radios are set in the 747/400 plane FSX/P3D uses. The PSX radios are not used.

or, option 2,you handle the ATC yourself , using the  PSX radios, which are transferred via TrafficPSX  to the FSX/P3D plane.
all traffic generated in the scenery generator by VOXATC  is visible on the PSX ND.
I think I may say that I now have a perfect flight simulation of a 747.400

PSX
VisualPSX
TrafficPSX
VOXATC
electronic flight bag
Active Sky next for the weather for P3D
PSXBACARS , PSXPerf and Topcat for the performance
PSX remote for the CDU on my Ipad.
PFPX  for flight planning
PSXWx to get the same winds aloft in PSX as in Active Sky next and the PFPX weather module.
FIFLI for the FO and flight attended  simulation.

7 of these add-ons are for free and given to us by people who dedicate much time and effort to make our flightsim experience so much better.
and there are more that I do not use for now.
and not to forget BritJet for his very educational videos.

A big thank you  to all of you to make the flightsim experience such a joy.

ivo
A day at this forum is a day learned!

cagarini

Excellent post Ivo. Thank you for the precious information !

brian747

Great post, Ivo — thank you!     :D

I also benefited from your help (in this thread: http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=26409#post26409) when I was setting up FSX on a separate machine, which runs totally smoothly — and seems even better with Garry's latest version of VisualPSX.

There's just one item I might mention: you said:

> "...there is always a chance that an AI plane lines up on the same runway you are landing..."

There is a facility within FSUIPC (which isn't on your list) to let you destroy unwanted AI ahead of you. It's buried in the comprehensive documentation, but I few years ago I wrote it up for a discussion similar to this, so if you feel that it might be useful you can download the pdf from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/roqmml1aoz2qpay/Zap%20that%20unwanted%20AI%21.pdf?dl=0

Many thanks again,

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the info, I have a registered version of FSUIPC , but did not used it since I only use P3D as scenery generator.
i don't know if it's relevant, but the P3D traffic  slider is set to zero, it is VOXATX that controls the traffic, so do not know if FSUIPC can control that?

Maybe I should try the latest version of VisualPsx, there seems to be a problem with P3D if I am correct, I try it and let you know
Ivo

Cedric Groux

Just an extra info about VOXATC vs Windows language:

VOXATC relies on Windows' speach recognition so you need your Windows interface to be displayed in English. Unfortunately I have a French version of Windows 7 Home Premium and there is no official way to change that language (with 'Ultimate/Entreprise' versions it should work). I've tried a work-around using a tool named "Vistalizator" that is supposed to do the trick, but it endlessly complained about missing Windows Updates, so I gave up.

Cédric

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Cedric,
That's why I chose a English Windows version over a Dutch one.
At the fsx time i also used fs2crew, and it needs an English version also.