News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Looking for a 747 motorised throttle

Started by GodAtum, Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:45

GodAtum

Hi all, my next plan is to consider motorized throttle and yokes. As PSX functions best with ethernet based controls rather then USB, not sure if there are parts that can be modified for this purpose?

400guy

Somewhat off topic. but...

In my setup here I have a 747-100 throttle quadrant and center console out of a tower air airplane.
I never got around to connecting it up.

Looking into it I find photometers connected to the throttles, but have no idea if they could be used to interface to the simulator, or if so how. (In the past I've used linear pots connected to levers that I built, using model airplane push rods. Using the pots already connected to the throttles would be nice if possible!

That console and most of the other stuff here is going to have to be moved, as we have the place for sale.

(I've been trying to donate it to the Civil Air Patrol or a museum, but no takers.)

Problem for me is in physically removing all the stuff.  (I'm 81 in May, not to mention lazy).

Anyone interested and able to move it can have (most of it) for free!

(Some things my Son wants, a few things I might want to try to sell).

See some pictures on my web page at http://kingmont.com or

ftp://ftp.kingmont.com/pictures/flight-sim/

The sim is located near Sacramento Ca.

B747-400

Hi,

as mentioned in another thread, I'm currently working on my genuine 747-400 TQ.
The servor motor and all mechanism is still in there.

Either I'm going to use the original 115 V AC Boeing motor, or I will connect another DC motor. Need to work out what's best.

I need to connect pots to the thrust levers. The plan is, to write a littel Java tool, who is able to read the pot values, and convert them to either thrust and reverser information. Of course for each of the 4 levers.

When this is working fine, the next steps needs to be done.

Just my thoughts and 2cents for the tmie beeing!

BR Hans

AndrewTurner

We are using a real 400 TQ, here is how we connected our pots for each Throttle Lever. This and the auto throttle motor is driven from an Arduino Ethernet module.

Gary Oliver

Hi Andrew,

Did you use the OEM Motor or did you find an alternative that works quietly enough?  A model number would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

AndrewTurner

Quote from: Gary OliverHi Andrew,

Did you use the OEM Motor or did you find an alternative that works quietly enough?  A model number would be appreciated.

Cheers
Gary

I'll let you know after we test this week. AutoThrottle is the last thing to hook up.

We looked at using the real motor but it was easier to drive that shaft at the same rpm as the original. In the end you have to look at how your controlling the speed and drive direction of your motor. Motors pull big amps on startup and you'll pay for a controller board that can handle that load. We are using a solution with arduino and custom software running on windows.

B747-400

Hi Andrew,

another interesting approach to connect the pots. Good idea!
Please keep us posted about the motor!

BR
Hans

GodAtum

wow amazing, that requires more skill then I have! hopefully someone will produce a plug and play one.

400guy

The really nice option would be if the existing pots (in the assembly) could be used.  I don't know what their original purpose was, but it would be easy to get to their leads.

I measured the variation in the resistance of the pots from full forward  throttle to full reverse, but can't now locate those values, and have not had a chance to re measure them as yet.

(Also don't know if the -400 is the same as my -100 stuff.)

For anyone interested in this stuff my e-mail is jj@kingmont.com

jb747

Quote from: GodAtumwow amazing, that requires more skill then I have! hopefully someone will produce a plug and play one.

FDS has a plug and play one.  Talk to Pete.

GodAtum

Quote from: AndrewTurnerWe are using a real 400 TQ, here is how we connected our pots for each Throttle Lever. This and the auto throttle motor is driven from an Arduino Ethernet module.

How are you interfacing with PSX?

the mad hatter

I am also using real  400 TQ but using existing (AC) motor...with pots.. the pots I received were not a direct fit so I had to have machined items for all four to fit the assembly again over thinking and over engineering a solution.

B747-400

Quote from: the mad hatterI am also using real  400 TQ but using existing (AC) motor...with pots.. the pots I received were not a direct fit so I had to have machined items for all four to fit the assembly again over thinking and over engineering a solution.

Hi,
pics how and what you machined so far ..?
BR Hans

farrokh747

hi 400guy

The 4 sensors in the 747 classic Throttle Quad are Penny and Giles pots (Model RP.18/1F)  They most likely went to the FDR...  (i could be wrong)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penny-Giles-Aircraft-PGS-Potentiometer-PGS1571-B-/231438825219   (this part no. is slightly diff)

In fact, the elevator had one attached to it as well... Do you see one on the flap linkage?

Leads: red and blue - 5v and Gnd
Yellow: wiper/signal

I had a set from my old 742 TQ and am using them now for the 744 TQ in place of the original synchros...

http://farrokhchothia.com/slists/pots/

They work great....

fc

400guy

Thanks for the reply !

If you have time can you email me any info on how you've connected the pots  to the sim (electrically).

(What sort of interface card etc.)

That would be much appreciated.

jj@kingmont.com

John H Watson

The "pots" on the real -400 are rotary variable differential transformers (RVDTs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_variable_differential_transformer

They operate on AC, so measuring the resistance wouldn't be all that useful ;)

Rgds
JHW

farrokh747

Hi Andrew -

In my earlier (FSWORLD) system I used a H Bridge between the Phidgets servo controller and the motor - The H bridge was powered by a batt...  (to soak the reverse current, and handle the startup load)

http://farrokhchothia.com/simplehservo/servoschmatic.jpg

Worked great for years....  

fc

B747-400

Hi fc,

thx for the diagram  8)

BR Hans

the mad hatter

Just for you Hans

I got a flicker account so I will upload pics there.. Back to this auto throttle I am lucky in some respects as the FMC manages that for me out side of PSX.. let me try to explain why my project a bit of a nightmare in reality it two sims in one...  Aircraft logic managing some of it and PSX managing some of it ..  they do not like each other too much  one spks  woman and the other something else  so I give them a good spanking and send to counselling so they trying to communicate...  At moment we are count the channels required for a ARINIC card and then it will work :-)))) also the pots for the TQ I am awaiting the machining to be completed  .. Its very interesting to see all the different approaches to this topic

farrokh747

Hi Hans

That was from some years ago, I couldn't find a servo card (that had a GUI written for it = Phidgets) that could handle the load of a big DC motor... so I hacked a hitec motor and connected it to the H bridge... but in theory any PWM output should be able to drive a motor with the H bridge in between...

One needs to do this if one can't write code..   :'(

fc