News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX BACARS - V4.0.9

Started by Gary Oliver, Tue, 24 Mar 2015 19:44

Gary Oliver

JP59

Unfortunately I don't have the hardware 3rd CDU in my cockpit. The cheap solution for me too  :mrgreen:

Cheers

Gary Oliver

I'll look at adding an option to display on any CDU in the next update for you.

Cheers
Gary

JP59

Great news. Thank you so much !

Regards

Dennis B

Hey Gary,

just tested your BACARS - unfortunately, it just crashes the FMC as soon as I select any FMC entry added by BACARS. The FMC becomes unresponsible. I connect to PSX over the local wired network from a Windows machine (BACARS) to a Linux machine (PSX). DOTNET Framework installed is 4.5.1, as suggested.

@Hardy: Even if I disconnect the BACARS client and load another situation, the BACARS menu entries are still there and will crash the FMC if selected. It's great, nonetheless, that the rest of the simulation is staying rock stable.

Cheers
Dennis

Hardy Heinlin

What do you mean by "FMC" and "FMC crash"? I have never used BACARS (I'm on the Mac), but I'm sure it does not add FMC entries. Or does it? Does it enter INIT REF values or ...?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Gary Oliver

Dennis,

Never seen this before in testing, just to confirm you are using V1.95?  You mean the
Have you tried hitting the MENU button once or twice on the CDU to return to normal?  We did have an issue where it was trying to override other pages due to a code error pre V1.95...

I have a V2.0 ready to go but I am just sorting out some logistics around the performance database before release, this also fixed a few inner coding issues around pages.

Cheers
Gary

PS: I have not tested connecting to a PSX instance which isn't running on Windows.  I will test with OSX PSX Server tonight.

cavaricooper

Gary-

As a user of PSX on Windows 7 and Mac OS I can't thank you enough!  Thrilled to read this.

Best- C

Quote from: Gary OliverPS: I have not tested connecting to a PSX instance which isn't running on Windows.  I will test with OSX PSX Server tonight.
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Gary Oliver

V2.0 is now available.

Main thing to note is it no longer uses TOPCAT to do the calculations which means the figures will match those on PSXPERF which seems to do a good job of matching the BA figures on the RB211G Engines.

****Important******

You will need the TOPCAT database from c:\\programfiles(x86)\\common files\\topcat\\database.tdb and copy this to the Resources folder within the PSXBACARS Folder in order for it to be able to use the TOPCAT runway lengths database.

You also will need to remove any old versions from add/remove programs before running the installer.  Future versions will now update automatically without needing to do this.

www.psxaddons.com as usual for the update.

Change Log as follows:-

V2.0
=====
Top Cat Replaced by PSX Perf Modules
Intersections Now Supported in CARD Data
You will need to copy an existing TOPCAT Performance Database from c:\\programfiles(x86)\\commonfiles\\topcat to the root of
PSXBACARS install in order to get the runway database for performance data calculation (note TOPCAT is not called)

V1.96
=====
Card now Clears when leaving PERF REQ Page as per real aircraft
Card Entries now blank screen during processing in line with real aircraft
Option to override PSX Default ACARS - Not Supported at this stage.
Using the PERF REQ page and then other pages in the FMC should no longer cause overriding behavour
Will Now open without TOPCAT being installed but the Performance Data REQ will no longer work
Fixed "Invalid Entry" Eror when going back into SIM page after first open
Imports TOPCAT Database Files in preperation for Bennys Perf Data
Loading now Asyncronous to speed up loadtimes
METS now works

Cheers
Gary

Gary Oliver

V2.0.1 is now available which fixes a reversed VR and V2 in the Performance Data.

Dennis B

@Gary, @Hardy: I've been using BACARS v1.96 for testing. Sorry, I rather meant CDU than FMC. By "crashing" I mean that there is no response to any LSK press or other key presses from the CDU in question. Sometimes, there will be an flag behind the BACARS entry when the regarding LSK is pressed, but nothing happens after that when any key on the CDU is pressed - including the MENU key of course. There are no blank pages, the MENU page just freezes after selecting the BACARS entry and the CDU (center CDU in my case) just seems to stop working. Cycling the regarding CB has no effect.

EDIT: Just tested v2.01, but with same results as above.

@Hardy: Even if I disconnect the BACARS client, stop the PSX server, and restart PSX without the server being started - as long as the last .situ file is loaded, the BACARS CDU entries are still there and the CDU refuses working. I have to load another situation to "reset" the CDU.

EDIT: Just tested connecting BACARS through Hoppie's Psx Router to PSX ... this constellation is working fine.

Cheers
Dennis

Hardy Heinlin

The situ stores the text displayed on the CDU, even if the add-on that has generated the text is no longer connected. That's normal. So, after situ loading, the add-on specific prompts may be displayed, but not necessarily functioning.

This may happen to the MENU page as well. The CDU keys may be linked with an add-on while the CDU display may still show the MENU page if the add-on fails to send its own text to the CDU display. The add-on must overwrite the display with new text.

If the MENU page is displayed but not functioning after an add-on is disconnected, the MENU page is not really reset and relinked with the CDU keyboard. To see the true MENU page after such a problem, press the MENU key on the CDU.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Dennis B

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinTo see the true MENU page after such a problem, press the MENU key on the CDU.

Hi Hardy, this is not working, also. CDU still frozen. The whole problem seems to be rather specific to my configuration, isn't it? Luckily, BACARS is running fine when connected through Psx Router, so I don't worry.  :D

@Gary: Is there any chance that you, in the future, will publish a few lines of documentation for BACARS?  ;)

Hardy Heinlin

When the CDU doesn't work after add-on disconnection, is there any entry in Logs/error.txt?

Gary Oliver

Quote@Gary: Is there any chance that you, in the future, will publish a few lines of documentation for BACARS?  ;)

If someone writes it for me :-)

There was a manual but i forgot to include it in the latest release.  Will try and get something written before the next version

Dennis B

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinWhen the CDU doesn't work after add-on disconnection, is there any entry in Logs/error.txt?

No, there's no entry in the error log.

I've uploaded a situ file. If of any use, feel free to download it.

Quote from: Gary OliverWill try and get something written before the next version
Great, thanks!

torrence

QuoteThere was a manual but i forgot to include it in the latest release.  Will try and get something written before the next version

Actually I note there is "Manual" word file in the Resources folder - but I think it is the early version before vers 2.0 and higher.

I'm just trying out using some of the pages - what would be useful for those of us who haven't used some of these functions in real or simulated life is just a few 'workflow' examples of typical steps in using BACARS.  Thanks for sharing with the community.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Britjet

I have been asked to do a video of a setup from C&D...perhaps I could include BACARS in that...

Peter

beat578

Hi peter
That would be amazing, because your Videos are great and for people like me, that have nothing to do with flying in "real life", It would be very intersting to see what is involved in flying or what procedures are needed.

torrence

Suggestion for Usage notes in Manual:  Include a note/reminder for in filling in Perf req to use *only* airports currently serviced by BA.  This is noted in the BACARS add-on description, but I overlooked it when setting up some tests of 2.0.1 and couldn't figure out why BACARS was apparently hanging up after sending the Perf req.  No printout but no error messages either.  When I checked all the info I realized that the situ I was using was for an EHAM departure and, sure enough, FlightAware tells me BA doesn't have flights from there  :) .  Adding this to the checklist for setting up BACARS should be sufficient, but I also wondered if the real life software would generate a 'not in database' message if a non-BA field was entered.

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence