News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Aerowinx Nav Database Update 2015

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Sat, 21 Feb 2015 01:13

744kid

Just got it working, Hardy. The problem was downloading it through Safari, which automatically unzips the file.

I just downloaded again through Chrome and the file arrives zipped. It has now installed fine.

Sorry to have bothered you with this. I should have spotted this earlier.

Cheers.

Hardy Heinlin

Blame Safari for that :-)

How can Safari dare to unzip a downloaded file without confirmation from the user? The zip could've contained malware if it isn't downloaded from a trusted web site.

Cheers,

|-|ardy (using Firefox)

744kid

Safari has an option "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This option was ticked in my Safari preferences. It seems that this setting is responsible for unzipping Zip files automatically. The description by the setting doesn't mention this. It just says that "Safe files include movies, pictures, sounds, PDF and text documents and archives".

Now I know!

Perhaps it's time to use an alternative browser

Keith Maton

Quote from: 744kidSafari has an option "Open 'safe' files after downloading". This option was ticked in my Safari preferences. It seems that this setting is responsible for unzipping Zip files automatically. The description by the setting doesn't mention this. It just says that "Safe files include movies, pictures, sounds, PDF and text documents and archives".

Now I know!

Perhaps it's time to use an alternative browser

Or just untick that box.  It's a very dangerous box to have ticked and unticking it was the first thing I did when I rebuilt my iMac recently.

Hardy Heinlin

All four retailers listed above have the database now in stock.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Skybird

Just received an e-mail from them...

Absolutely fantastic!!
Downloaded and installed!!

Thanks for this!

tango4

Same here, just ordered from Aerosoft Germany, installed in a matter of seconds !
Thanks a lot.

Charles

mokeiko

Easy purchase and install. Thank you for this.

Francisco Blas
Francisco Blas

mickcall999

Hi

Just downloaded the Nav Database Update and put the zipped file into Aerowinx/Navigation/-New when loading PSX for the first time the loading stopped at 79%, closed PSX restarted PSX and it shows cycle 1503  under About/Quit.

Has it updated the database properly?

cdpohl

Hi mickcall999,

I had a similar problem. My update also stopped at 79%. Had to close PSX, and then restart to complete the update. Furthermore, after the update, and on starting PSX, it would stop/freeze at 79% on a number of occasions. At the moment PSX runs ok.

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

if cycle 1503 is indicated under About/Quit, you have cycle 1503.

I assume this random 79% problem has nothing to do with the update (pure coincidence). I think it's a problem in the OS or Java version. It's hard to analyse because only a few users so far have experienced it (at random, before the update).

Regards,

|-|ardy

P.S.: The nav database installation happens before the 25% mark. So if you have passed 25%, the installation is completed.

At 79% PSX starts to build the Instructor pages. This involves many Java GUI objects (Java buttons, checkboxes, sliders etc.).

asboyd

Not sure why, but I am starting to get a database out of date MSG on my CDU's and I have 1503 installed. Only happens every second load though!!

Cheers,
Alex B
Alex Boyd... Sydney, Australia

Hardy Heinlin

That's normal. The date used in the FMC is a simulated date. This has nothing to do with the physical database update on the disk.

Ref. page 346. See italic font.

See also Instructor > Situation > Service: "FMS Services" (page 40).

If cycle 1503 is indicated under About/Quit, you have cycle 1503.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

asboyd

Should I be getting a "database out of date" message in the scratchpad?

I understand the dates are generated based on virtuality and the loaded DB.

Cheers,
asb

Hardy Heinlin

QuoteShould I be getting a "database out of date" message in the scratchpad?
... as a reaction to what ...?

Ref. page 429:

Scratchpad message: NAV DATA OUT OF DATE

"Aircraft on ground and FMC date exceeds cycle date of active navigation database."

The simulated active navigation database can be selected on the simulated FMC IDENT page. See page 346. See also the note in italic font under 3R regarding the "virtual engineer" who loads two virtual databases into the virtual FMS according to the currently selected virtual world time.

In short words:
Just turn on the checkbox "Select valid FMC nav database" on Instructor > Situation > Service. Note that this is a situation variable and not a preferences variable, hence it may change when you load another situation file.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

asboyd

I am only using one situ that I have modified for my cockpit testing and the flag is always set to on.
Will continue playing around while I test my hardware with PSXseecon (great software) and monitor further.
I wonder if it is because of the route I am loading which has been generated by PFPX....... Will check that out as well.

Cheers,
asb

Hardy Heinlin

The route has nothing to do with it.

It's all normal. Three things you need to know:

(A) There's one common physical database for the FMC simulation and other simulations (radios, EGPWS etc.).

(B) In the simulated FMS there are two simulated FMC databases with two different cycle dates.

(C) One of the two simulated FMC databases needs to be activated on the FMC IDENT page.

When the checkbox "Select valid FMC nav database" is set on Instructor > Situation > Service, a virtual engineer will do the following whenever you change the simulator's time of the year on Instructor > Situation > Time while the aircraft is parked on the ground:

The enginner will load two simulated FMC databases (B) into the FMS, suitable to the currently simulated season. That is, one for the current simulated month, and another one for the next month. The engineer will also activate the one of the two simulated databases (C) which has the AIRAC cycle date suitable to the currently simulated month.

When the checkbox "Select valid FMC nav database" is not set, (B) and (C) will remain the same no matter what time you set on Instructor > Situation > Time. You can't change (B) manually. But you can handle (C) manually. If either of the two loaded FMS databases is suitable to the current month, you can manually activate this on the IDENT page.

If the active simulated database disagrees with the simulated month, you'll get the scratchpad message NAV DATA OUT OF DATE.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

asboyd

Thank you for the info. I will keep an eye open as I do not change the settings once I have a situ setup configured for testing my hardware. Still nice to know the silent engineers are around :)

Hardy Heinlin

Note: This is an outdated thread; here is the 2019 thread:

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5157.0