News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX radar tests

Started by Hardy Heinlin, Sun, 10 Jan 2010 06:27

farrokh747

jimi hendrix acft wxr display...?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Specific real-world effect limited to a particular spot on the planet, for all of you to find out  :mrgreen:

Elie

masselli

He's heading towards the Freak Mountains in Wyoming and picking up an Aurora Borealis on radar.   :lol:
Mark

Shiv Mathur

Yes, Wyoming seems to be right (from KCPR and DDY) ... can you actually
pick up the Northern Lights from there ?

John Golin

Actually, as masselli intimated, Is it ground clutter from the mountain peaks? The aircraft is West of Casper and heading SSW with the wx radar tilted down (if I'm reading the ND correctly) ?
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Hardy Heinlin

Up to 80 NM are ground clutter and clouds. Beyond 80 there are some clouds. The beams are not caused by mountains nor by Aurora Borealis.

O-O

John Golin

Hmm... now you've got me ignoring my work and poking around the internet... if we go off air it's all your fault!  :D
John Golin.

John Golin

The only thing I can come up with is interference from some military installations relating to NORAD... OTH radar or some such for early warning systems...
John Golin.

Holger Wende

Hello,

Several years back I have seen similar phenomena on analog radar screens while the radar was jammed.

And during "solar calibration" of surveillance radars such radar strobes caused by the sun during sunrise/sunset were (or are still) used to calibrate north. With some adjustments on the receiver gain control the main lobe strobe could be easily identified.
But you would not do "solar calibration" on airborne radars, would you?  :mrgreen:

So my vote: Something evil jams your radar :evil:

Regards, Holger

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Evil? Or just more advanced?

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersEvil? Or just more advanced?

Some argue that these things are pretty much the same, in the end.  Never have accepted that claim but it does seem to have some merit considering mankind's difficult history...
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Shiv Mathur

farrokh747

hold on, hold on, we don't know if is is the right one yet... awaiting word form higher authority...

Shiv Mathur

Well, the higher authorities are busy either zipping around the world,
or creating a new state-of-the-art 747 simulator.
We'll just have to be patient!

Hardy Heinlin

I didn't know that this interference may be caused by NEXRAD, too (aside from Hendrix gigs at midnight).

Actually, I assumed the radar was jammed by a military facility located in a restricted airspace.

Awaiting word from higher authority ...

Cheers,

|-|ardy

farrokh747

ummm......    hardy, that's you...  ;)

jonb

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinGreetings to Jon :-)

(Click to enlarge)

Greetings Hardy ;)

Been a while!, about 13 years I think. :shock:
Nice job with the spikes!

Cheers

Jon

|-|ardy

farrokh747

ok, starting this one up again...

WXR panel:

1. Are the GAIN rotaries switches? and the TILT control a pot?
2. Or the other way around?
3. none of the above.

I remember one of the two on the conc. shaft was a pot and the other a multi pos rotary switch.... not sure which is which

cheers!

fc