News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Avi on Tue,  1 Mar 2016 20:54
JP,

For the Circuit videos you may want to read my replay (#204) in page 9. You may find it helpful.

Cheers,

In my personal forum setting post #204 is on page 11 :-)

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2583.msg26951#msg26951

|-|

Britjet

It looks like Gary will be making some major changes to his sim in the near future so we might put off the Non-normal videos for a while. We did a test run a couple of weeks ago but won't be publishing it.
In the meantime I am in the process of making one on another subject.  It shouldn't be too long..

Peter

JP59

Quote from: torrence on Tue,  1 Mar 2016 19:33
Just a tip from what I understand from Peter's course of instruction - the key point is probably not having a complete EPR translation from one engine type to the other, but identifying the key points in flight for which you want to have what Peter terms "a datum" - e.g. the segments of the Circuits video - and recording what EPR gives the same result for your selected engine type.  As noted in the videos you have to modify these somewhat for the particular set of parameters for any given flight anyway. 

Hi Torrence,

This is exactly what I did and it works fine. I realize my last post may lead to misunderstanding.

Hi Avi,

Thanks a lot for the link. I get approximately the same values.

Cheers,

cavaricooper

Peter-

I was hoping that you would consider a couple of requests (when your schedule permits)-

1) Now that the radar returns are being optimized, could we get a glimpse into the thought process behind "threading the needle"?  How far from red, orange and yellow are advisable?  How far off-course is generally permitted when "deviations for Wx" are authorized?  What level of turbulence requires slowing to turbulence penetration speeds?  How to use tilt (and even gain) for the optimal "picture"......Just the overall thought process when looking at the ND cluttering up.

2) While we still have areas of the world that fly metric, could you share the nuances of FMC programming, changing from KTS/FL to K/M... I am still muddy about this aspect....

Thanks for considering if and when these topics could be considered for future videos....

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Hi Carl.

Thanks for the requests.

On point 1 - The multi scan radar that is modelled in PSX is a much more advanced system than the one I used (apparently). It integrates several sweeps. As far as I can see the key to using this system correctly seems to be to 'let it do its own thing" in AUTO.
I recommend a read through the manual in the link that Hardy has provided.
To be honest I don't consider myself in a position to give advice on this. As you will know I try with my videos to reflect what actually happens in my experience - and fortunately PSX agrees! I am not sure that I can give guidance on the Multiscan system, however, as I have never used it in anger.
With regard to "margins" on Amber and Red - if you ask 10 aviators in a lift (or bar!) you will get 10 different answers, irrespective of what the manufacturers say! I remember being chided on a Line Check once out of a stormy Bangkok when the check pilot reminded me afterwards of the stated margins after I had "threaded the needle" successfully.
I remember replying something along the lines of "and exactly what would you have (word like flipping) done?'.
I could regail you with all sorts of tales about being 100nm off track over Africa, or being in an entirely different FIR that knew nothing about me over the Indian Ocean etc etc, but all pilots have these stories!
As long as ATC are happy most deviations are OK - China gets touchy as their airways are only 10km wide, and some Russian Airways can be problematic, but I have been 50nm off track over Russia as well.
With regard to level of turbulence, again it is a personal thing. Just bear in mind that turbulence speeds really relate to severe turbulence. Most crews would "intervene" the speed on the MCP during turbulence that is moderate or worse.
Typically .82 or 290-310kts...
The bottom line is NEVER go through a BIG RED BIT!

Peter

Britjet

On point 2 - Metric is getting a lot easier these days now that the Russian Federation uses "normal" flight levels.
There is no magic conversion from ICAO to Metric levels. You need to use a table, and the "meters" switch on the EFIS.
Kts and MPS are easy - just double MPS and you have knots! Eg 5mps=10kts...

HTH

Peter

Flex

Thanks for the info Peter. Just out of curiosity what training vid are you currently working on?

Felix

cavaricooper

Peter-

Quote from: Britjet on Tue,  8 Mar 2016 18:32

I could regail you with all sorts of tales about being 100nm off track over Africa, or being in an entirely different FIR that knew nothing about me over the Indian Ocean etc etc, but all pilots have these stories!

Oh... go on then.... :-)  Ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Hi Felix

Airfield suitability for 744..landing and taking off - what you need to think about...
WARNING! This could seriously reduce your flightsim world! (Just for fun - I happily dive in anywhere!).
Peter

Flex

Looking forward to it!

Cheers,

Felix

Will

Thanks, Peter, for all your hard work, especially the NIDA and NINDA approach videos. I think you're right, that this is the way of the future. To be freed from ground-based hardware, safely, would really be a great deal.

I have a question about 747-400 line ops. How often when cleared for an "ILS 30R" (or whatever) approach would you fly by LNAV and VNAV while monitoring the raw data, as opposed to flying in LOC and G/S?
Will /Chicago /USA

Britjet

Hi Will,

You would always fly what you were cleared for. The most important reason would be that sometimes the coded go-around is different.
Additionally, as you know, the VNAV glide slope could be higher or lower depending on temperature, and this could cause issues.
Also, the so-called "platform altitude", (where the glide slope descent starts), is effectively hard-wired with a glide slope. Not so for many VNAV approaches, so you could again be off the correct ILS profile.
Peter.

Will

Thanks for your generosity in doing all this teaching, Peter. These topics are new to me.

When they say "Cleared for the ILS 27L approach" you would steer by LOC and G/S when using the flight director or autopilot. Correct?

If ATC clears you for a visual approach to a runway that doesn't have an ILS, how often would you set up an LNAV/VNAV visual approach? It sure seems convenient.

Another question, if you don't mind. I was looking for RNAV approaches, and I saw the RNAV (RNP) Z RWY 17L approach into Oklahoma City, plate here: https://www.globalair.com/dtpp/globalair_00301RRZ17L.PDF

That approach is in the FMC database (as RNZ17L), although only with the ATREC transition. Any idea why the transitions from the west (FLAPP), south (WWILL or PALMR), or east (HIPES) aren't in the database? The intersections certainly are, because you can easily build the transitions, including the constraints, by using the Legs page in the FMC. Coming in from the south at PALMR seems to illustrate the utility of an LNAV/VNAV supported approach: you can keep a steady descent, even as the ground track takes on interesting curves.

Are there any interesting RNAV approaches that you can recommend?
Will /Chicago /USA

jtsjc1

Will doesn't it have something to do with the FMS being able to fly RF legs? I believe it was mentioned in another thread but I don't think the 744 can fly RF legs. All the transitions except ATREC are RF required. I think you'd need a 777 or 737NG to fly them.
Joe

Will

Having looked at things more closely, I agree with you, jtsjc1. I'm guessing now the RF traditions and their waypoints aren't included in the FMC because the 747 couldn't fly them anyway. Thanks for pointing that out.
Will /Chicago /USA

Flex

Peter,

With regards to your next tutorial I wonder if you could cover en-route considerations such as flight over mountainous terrain/depressurisation drift-downs? Though, perhaps due to the 744 having 4 engines this may not be such a bother? Also, was the B744 able to fly polar routes?

Felix.

Britjet

Hi Will

re cleared for ILS - in answer to your question - yes!

If cleared for a visual approach then by all means use any aids or indications that may be at your disposal.
A visual approach (particularly in the US) means that you are responsible for separation from others - so the best plan is to keep it simple and keep looking out!

Peter

Britjet

Hi Felix,

I'll see if I can put that one in some time - it would probably come under a general heading of en-route considerations.

Cheers,

Peter

Flex

Great stuff Peter, thanks!

Britjet

Felix,

Ref your question about polar routes. I never did it personally. I probably never got further than about 75 degrees - but the 747 is not prohibited from Polar operations,.
However the system reconfigures dramatically if you fly beyond 84 degrees. All sorts of weird things start happening with the each FMC position tying itself individual IRS positions etc.
Before all that happens the systems will automatically reference to True North, of course.
No doubt some operators do it...

HTH

Peter