News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Avi

Thanks,

I was wondering if more power could help / save them but maybe more power on the good side could made things even worse giving the other problems they had.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

GodAtum

Another set of great vidoes. Did you ever fly into TNCM or Kai Tak?

Britjet

Kai Tak yes - not TNCM...

Peter

GodAtum

Quote from: Britjet on Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:59

Peter

Nice! It would be great if you could add a video of how to do the approach and landing there to your list please?

Britjet

We will be doing an approach into Kai Tak with Worldflight on the evening of 1st November.
See www.simfest.co.uk for more details nearer the time.

I'm afraid that the lack of database now makes this difficult to reproduce, but we will be introducing a "fudge" using LNAV points with the Route Guidance which will come out nearer the WorldFlight week.

Peter

Britjet

Quote from: GodAtum on Wed, 30 Sep 2015 14:02
Quote from: Britjet on Wed, 30 Sep 2015 08:59

Peter

Nice! It would be great if you could add a video of how to do the approach and landing there to your list please?

Here you go Carl....

Peter

Britjet

New video uploaded..

Hong Kong Kai Tak...

Enjoy!

Peter

cavaricooper

Brilliant.... could almost smell the fragrant harbor ;)

BTW- the checkerboard turn was a thing of beauty... Much more refined than my usual frenetic lurching over the stadium ;).

Ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

emerydc8

Nice video. Thanks, Peter.

evaamo

Very nice, Peter! Thank you. That must have been quite an experience to fly that approach in RL on a 747.

Time to install FlyTampa's VHHX! :-D

cheers,
-E

ps: humble request from your list of future videos... when you get a chance, please: oceanic ops!

Enrique Vaamonde

Mundyas

Thanks Peter, I really enjoyed watching that video and all the others too.

I remember landing there as a passenger (sitting on RHS) and luckily!! approach was  from the Chequer Board direction. Although I was expecting the sharp turn to the right (over a stadium I think) it was still a slight shock and rather exciting. A little knowledge on my part  can be a dangerous thing.

I even have a DVD of planes landing here!!

We landed with a bit of a bump I remember. 

About 25 years ago too, video brings back the memories,.

Flew into LHR from Athens (B767) on Sunday, with a laconic BA Captain and efficient crew and a very full plane.

Andrew

Britjet

Thanks Mundyas,

I believe that "laconic" is the in-thing these days!
We will be flying into LGAV on the 3rd of November with Worldflight. It should get quite busy!

Peter

torrence

I really enjoyed the blast from the past VHHX training video.  Brought back memories of trying the Checkerboard approach with PS1 and FS.  I landed a couple of times OK but my old rig had too low a frame rate and stuttered a lot, making it pretty hard to do a smooth approach.  I was inspired to see if I could do better with PSX, setting it up based on the training YouTube.  However, since I haven't got external scenery running on my system yet, I did mess around with the Legs page to add some "Disco" lat/lon waypoints for ND situational awareness, in addition to the Fix and radials in Britjet's sim set up.  Used some old charts to pick off the coordinates of the Checkerboard and runway ends and landing threshold.  This creates some targets for the turn and landing point on the ND and a nice magenta line for the runway centerline.  Found I could actually make a pretty reasonable landing this way - just no out the window visual for the runway (0/0 visibility landing at Kai Tak - not recommended in real world!).

The first link below is a situ file with my mods added, if you want to try it out.  The second is a further modification to approximate an RNAV approach with a couple of extra waypoints and altitude constraints.  I was impressed that this worked OK on autopilot right through the final roll-out - just take off the automatics at that point and get it set down.

Oh - and Britjet's suggestion of disabling the Terrain warning is well taken.  Just for fun, I kept it on to see what the terrain model would do - lots of 'pull up, too low, etc' warnings as expected.  Very distracting, I guess the equivalent of someone in the observer's seat yelling "Why is that lady looking out her window - she's above us!!".

Cheers,
Torrence

1. 'Visual' situ with ND waypoint additions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1m4v6m6jlo2u0s/VHHX%20Aproach%20Real-world%20weather%20-%20Hong%20Kong.situ?dl=0

2. 'Pseudo RNAV" situ for LNAV/VNAV approach

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rmq4n1b0yyuekyt/VHHX%20%20RNAV%2013%20Aproach%20Real-world%20weather%20-%20Hong%20Kong.situ?dl=0
Cheers
Torrence

Britjet

Congratulations to all!
You have now viewed the "landing video" a thousand times!. There are no more excuses for bad landings!
(Kai Tak is doing rather well  in only 5 days, too - now I know where your preferences lie! (sorry about the rather poor definition of the ND by the way - too late to correct now).

I will be continuing the series with non-normals when I get the chance - at the moment I am "flying out" the entire upcoming WorldFlight route so that a guidance manual can be produced, so it is taking up quite a bit of my time. (45 sectors!).

The WF Route Guidance Manual will be made available on the www.simfest.co.uk website quite soon and will be a work-in-progress as I toodle around the globe. At the moment I am about 2/3 of the way, in Rio!

It has been a lot of fun and the (soon to be) downloadable zip file will have situs for the start of every sector, all prepared and ready to go, so you can fly them any time or on the day, in parallel with the Twitch video feed or connected with VATSIM.

As always at Worldflight and Simfestuk, if you like what you see, donations to our chosen charities will be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

Britjet

The Route Guidance Manual Version 1 for WorldFlight is now available as a Zip file from www.simfest.co.uk

Enjoy!

Peter

Britjet

I have started a new thread on the subject of WorldFlight 2015 now, to make it more easily accessible, so reply there please with any comments.

Peter

Holger Wende

Hi Peter,
First of all: Your videos are absolutely amazing and extermely instructive! Obviously you spend a lot of effort in creating these videos, this is so much valuable, I hardly find the adequate words. Thanks a lot!

My default model is Lufthansa so to fly the numbers I was looking for the related N1 "numbers" as in your "Landing" video shown at 1:00.
I tried as much as possible to meet the same conditions as in your video and was somewhat surprised to see that the N1 numbers were almost constant with gross weight variations 230t, 250t and 280t, see image below. Using a BA model however showed the same numbers as in your video.

In Ivo's Excel N1 values vary significantly with gross weight.
Do I overlook something, maybe you or another expert can shed some light on this.

Thanks, Holger

P.S. Sorry fow limited picture quality, did not want to violate Hoppies picture upload recommendation.
I have a high res image if someone wants t have it...

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Holger,

on your picture from left to right, the GW increases from left to right, and so does the speed; however, the AOA decreases, hence the drag decreases, requiring less thrust at the lower AOA and the same time more thrust due to the higher speed. These factors compensate each other, i.e. within a certain range, a higher speed does not only require more thrust, but also less thrust because of the lower drag by the AOA.

I don't think the N1 systems can be directly compared across different engine models; each system -- RR, PW, GE -- uses a different fan and turbine design, and different measuring methods.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Holger,
To make things clear, the numbers I noted are in level flight, no descent, 30 seconds after changing the weight on the instructor/service page  to stabilize the engines,
And the N1 readings are taken from the RB 211 RR engines, not the
GE engines
Best wishes
Ivo
A day at this forum is a day learned!

Britjet

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the kind comments!
I always try to make my videos reflect what happens for real, and PSX mirrors "reality" extremely closely.
As Hardy says - there are a number of factors at work which can almost balance things out. For example I think you will be aware of the "forward lift vector" that means that an aircraft will glide further at heavy weight than at light weight - which doesn't seem to make sense but which nonetheless is a fact.

I am using a GE-powered 747 "big sim" several times a month and will try and get some empirical values for the N1 on approach at different weights and pass them on to Hardy - but I suspect that nothing much will need to be changed..

Cheers,

Peter

(PS I expect to start videos on non-normals quite soon - it has been a busy couple of months with WorldFlight).