News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Britjet

Quote from: torrence on Sun, 30 Aug 2015 00:17
Britjet's Tutorial videos are also a great source for handling various non-normal conditions - e.g. Go-arounds, engine out procedures, etc.  I hope he keeps them up.
Cheers,
Torrence

Sorry, guys - it's been a busy summer and locking myself away all day to make a video doesn't fit in well.
I will keep them up. I haven't forgotten you!

Peter

cavaricooper

Peter-

No apologies needed! Enjoy the halcyon days.... I'm content to watch your current content over and over, until you find yourself shut in by a rain shower :).  I keep finding, and understanding, significant underlying interdependencies behind your demonstrated techniques- each time I view the videos over.

The PSX / VisualPSX / P3d combination that I finally adopted has become so much more fulfilling because of your efforts....

I remain obliged- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

evaamo

Dear Peter, as a newcomer to PSX  have found your videos extremely helpful!

Job well done! Looking forward to the rest of the batch ;-)

Thanks so much for your contribution!

cheers
-E
Enrique Vaamonde

Bumblebee

Dear Peter thanks for your excellent videos, Highly instructive and extremely clear!
Sharing your knowledge and experience is not only sign of generosity and professionalism but is also the very best gift to all the new Pilots.
Ad Majora!
Ciao from Italy :-)

Britjet

Two new videos uploaded..

2 - engines inoperative briefing.
2 - engines inoperative demo.

I sense that the community is gearing up for more non-normal operations, so I will be leaning towards that for the coming productions..

Enjoy!

Peter

Kabbers

Superb, thanks Peter!

I've just watched your latest 2 engines inoperative theory and demo, brilliant stuff, and I appreciate the way you start by reading and explaining the QRH like this.

Am I ready to give that scenario a go yet? LOL, cough, I think I'm going "go around" up to video 22 or so and work all the way down again first! it's unbelievably useful to be able to watch you do these as many times as one needs like this!

Rocking, appreciated - and enjoyed XX

cheers
Kabbers

cavaricooper

Peter-

So glad to see your newest contributions- ta! 

BTW, whilst I too am a "non-normal" aficionado, what would be quite useful, would be a run-through of the various software programs in the big sim.  Perhaps showing in what order they are started, their configurations and then seeing them in action..... For a neophyte networker like me, that sort of total overview would be priceless.

As ever, I remain obliged.

Best- C

Quote from: Britjet on Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:48
Two new videos uploaded..

2 - engines inoperative briefing.
2 - engines inoperative demo.

I sense that the community is gearing up for more non-normal operations, so I will be leaning towards that for the coming productions..

Enjoy!

Peter
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Carl, I'm not sure what you mean by "simulator programs" ?

Peter

cavaricooper

Peter-

I was referring to the many bits and bobs that make the big sim run.  PSX, P3D, VisualPSX, TrafficPSX, BAACARS, ASN, PSXWx etc... I would imagine the sim HW might have other driver programs.  For a simple 2 or 3 PC simmer like me, the insight into what it takes to RUN a big sim would be fascinating.  The full rundown on BAACARS alone would be splendid.

Only when convenient to fit into your flow though.... thanks Peter!

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Hi Carl

To be quite honest I have absolutely no idea how the big sim does its thing! The wizardry is a very large room with some rather old-fashioned main-frame computers! Whenever it breaks we just send for the tech man who normally just reboots the whole thing (taking about 15 minutes).

We don't use real weather - the IOS has the ability to set cloudbase etc exactly, but it isn't very pretty - more functional to achieve the required minima etc. No beautiful clouds..

Visual databases differ - I believe the new ones are quite advanced now but still not a patch on ORBX etc. In the 747 sim I used to operate, the texturing was Google Earth, which wasn't very convincing, and terrain mesh definition was extremely poor. (Try turning your mesh to the lowest level and you will get an idea).

The visual display is usually a poor imitation in terms of detail on what P3D can achieve, but at least it is always 100% smooth with no stutters! The wrap-round visual is very clever.

BAACARS is not my program, Garry Oliver is the boffin and Triple7 helps with it as well. My input is largely trying to get the interface to look and behave like the real thing.

Peter

cavaricooper

Peter-

Thanks!  That is a glimpse into what I was hoping to "see".  We are indeed fortunate with our current level of "at home simulation".  I use a 65" Sony and sit about 3 feet in front of it.... close enough to get peripheral cues in the flare.  The image quality and size is great for now (I keep thinking 4K curved).  Put that together with PSX and VisualPSX driving P3D with Orbx, Fly Tampa, UK2000 etc. and we are at a fairly good point in suspension of disbelief.  The second computer/screen and the iPads help spread the workload and increase neck swivel :).

The complete environment created by the big sim is something I have to live without for the moment, however, the flexibility of flying the 744 to Bangkok one day, and then exploring the Inner Passage up to Homer in the An-2 the next, is not something I want to live without (for the moment).

I appreciate your explanation.... should you get a chance to run through BAACARS full procedures in a future video, that would be brilliant.

Ta- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Tord Hoppe

Peter, in your demo of the two engines out landing => go around you selected gear up while still descending. Was that due to your situational awareness and experience telling you that there would be no risk of touching down prior to leveling off ? I´m assuming you´d leave the gear down if the go around was initiated from a lower altitude, if so at approx waht altitude would that "brake" be?

Britjet

Hi Tord

There is no need to have a positive climb rate before retracting the gear in this situation. You should no flying level throughout the initial clean up or even descending slightly.

Peter

Mark

Quote from: cavaricooper on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 01:22
I was referring to the many bits and bobs that make the big sim run.  PSX, P3D, VisualPSX, TrafficPSX, BAACARS, ASN, PSXWx etc...

Are you talking about the Simfest Sim, as seen in this video?
https://youtu.be/hFLd6L3cO2g

If so, I was intending to document the technical workings of that sim at some point this year, time permitting.

cavaricooper

Mark-

I was indeed, thanks... I shall look forward to it!  In the meanwhile, I hope Peter runs us through full BAACARS procedures when possible.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

GodAtum

Quote from: Britjet on Mon, 14 Sep 2015 11:56
Hi Carl

To be quite honest I have absolutely no idea how the big sim does its thing! The wizardry is a very large room with some rather old-fashioned main-frame computers! Whenever it breaks we just send for the tech man who normally just reboots the whole thing (taking about 15 minutes).

We don't use real weather - the IOS has the ability to set cloudbase etc exactly, but it isn't very pretty - more functional to achieve the required minima etc. No beautiful clouds..

Visual databases differ - I believe the new ones are quite advanced now but still not a patch on ORBX etc. In the 747 sim I used to operate, the texturing was Google Earth, which wasn't very convincing, and terrain mesh definition was extremely poor. (Try turning your mesh to the lowest level and you will get an idea).

The visual display is usually a poor imitation in terms of detail on what P3D can achieve, but at least it is always 100% smooth with no stutters! The wrap-round visual is very clever.

BAACARS is not my program, Garry Oliver is the boffin and Triple7 helps with it as well. My input is largely trying to get the interface to look and behave like the real thing.

Peter

Thanks for your highly educational vidoes, much better then the AoA training course!

I went to the 747 sim at Cranebank, so amazing I wish I could spend a whole long haul flight in it lol.

I hopw my 747 sim will be as fantastic as Garry's one day!

torrence

Quote from: cavaricooper on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 21:04
In the meanwhile, I hope Peter runs us through full BAACARS procedures when possible.

C -

Just in case you missed it - I think the latest BACARS is 2.07 and the Britjet training videos for  Pre-Flight C&D do include most of the BACARS functions for the preflight phase.  Found them very useful to see what has to be done when etc.

Cheers
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

cavaricooper

Torrence-

Ta- I have 2.07, and yes I have watched Peter's series often.  What I love is the running commentary that provides insight into the reasons "why" things occur and why they are done.  There is where I learn the most.  I appreciate your tips.

Best- Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Avi

Hi Britjet,

At the beginning of your first video (Two-engine inoperative Approach briefing) you mentioned the B744 has much better performance than the classic one and that made me think. Do you think (based about what you know about the El-Al disaster in AMS almost 23 years ago), if it was a B744F and not B742F, could they have a good chance to survive?

Of course they had much more problems than just 2 engines out (they had a damaged wing, they lost hydraulic, and other problems because of the above) but still could they survived in a B744F?

Thanks,
Avi Adin
LLBG

Britjet

Hi Avi,

Sorry for the late reply. I have been away! (Faro, actually!)
I had to remind myself of the exact circumstances of the crash. It doesn't sound as though thrust was the issue - they lost roll authority when the leading edge flaps extended only on the good side, as well as wing damage on the other, and the aircraft just rolled in.

There are some things that nothing will prepare you for :-(

Peter