News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: jcomm... during flare, the armed A/T all of a sudden decided to kick in and  "give me speed" instead of going to idle :-(
On the 744, an armed A/T will never kick in (engage) on its own. When the A/T mode annunciation is blank, it stays blank.

Perhaps you had the HOLD or SPD mode engaged. That means engaged, that is more than just armed. When the first missed approach leg becomes active and you're in VNAV, the THR REF mode will engage for the go-around. This happens only if any A/T mode is already engaged, incl. HOLD. This will not happen if your A/T is disengaged and armed.

Or you accidentally pushed a TOGA switch while retarding the throttles.

Or, by "kick in", you mean the A/T "advanced the throttles" and it hasn't been disengaged at all.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

cagarini

Yes Hardy,

I am sure that, while the A/P was On, I had selected APP, thus causing the 3 channels to become active, and LAND3 was announced. I then disconnected the A/P, and manually flew the final app, and, as I was about to start my flare, the power came back in, and it ended in a go-around :-/

So, the most probable cause was me hitting the TO/GA key in my joystick unintentionally ...

Hardy Heinlin

José,

A/T and A/P are two systems, they are independent of each other. Each system must be disengaged separately. Disengaging the one system will not disengage the other.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

cagarini

Hardy,

I'm aware of that, but, I thought that in the 400 series we could leave the A/T engaged, down to touchdown and rollout, and it would automatically retard the throttles to idle during the flare ( I believe the trigger must be some radio alt... 25 ft ??? )

What happened in my approach, and I regret not having saved the situ :-/, was that after disengaging the A/P I left the A/T engaged all the way to touchdown, but, as soon as I started to flare, instead of moving to idle, the throttles moved up towards TO/GA.

Again, I am sure I must have done something wrong, and also, this didn't happen with the latest version, but some 10 versions away, I believe....

I still think that I must have accidentally pressed the TO/GA button programmed on my Saitek Rhino throttle unit :-/

OmniAtlas

Isn't it usually company policy to disengage both the A/P and A/T at the same time?

Throttles only retard to idle with rollout with A/P and A/T engaged (precision approach).

Avi

If you only disengage the A/P, A/T remains active (probably in SPD mode). A/T commands the thrust levers to idle around 20 ft RA only when A/P is engaged. In your situation A/T was active (A/P wasn't), at flare you pitched up and you started to loss speed so the A/T advanced the throttles to compensate that. That's it.

Cheers,
Avi Adin
LLBG

cagarini

Quote from: AviIf you only disengage the A/P, A/T remains active (probably in SPD mode). A/T commands the thrust levers to idle around 20 ft RA only when A/P is engaged. In your situation A/T was active (A/P wasn't), at flare you pitched up and you started to loss speed so the A/T advanced the throttles to compensate that. That's it.

Cheers,

Ok!  That must have been the case indeed!!!!!

Thx for the tip!  

I was used to the PMDG 777-200, where landing can be accomplished flying manually, but with A/T engaged, and it retards to idle during flare, automatically, disengaging only as I set reverse ...

Britjet

New video posted on "The Fix Page". Sorry, the definition isn't as good as I would have hoped - I will try to make things "bigger" in future.
I hope it is of some value nonetheless.

Cheers,

Peter.

GodAtum

Thats for your invaluable videos :) Perhaps you could demystify the equi-time point on Altantic crossings?

Raj Hoonjan

Hi Peter,

I have been watching your videos with great interest ever since you published them.

A masterclass in tips and techniques, which has truly enhanced my overall experience of PSX.

Thank you for taking the time to produce the videos.

Kind regards

Raj

Britjet

Thanks GodAtum,

There is no easy way to work out an equal-time point on the 747. On an Atlantic crossing  the various maritime airfields (eg Ireland, Azores, Iceland, Eastern Seaboard, Greenland etc) go in and out of the calculation as you proceed, so it is really a "moveable feast.."

Most commercial flight plans will offer "equal-time" points for Atlantic crossings but they aren't usually terribly relevant. For example they might offer CYQX/EINN which would be useful if you were actually on a straight line between those two airfields, but otherwise not at all.

Putting large range rings such as the maximum allowed of 511nm is a great help, but the remainder is largely a case of looking at wind charts and having an idea of groundspeed in each direction. Of course putting the airfield in the FIX page will make it more precise.
Newer aircraft, such as the 777, which has an "ALTERNATES" page, can make a better judgement.

There is a thing called a PNR (Point of No Return) which will be calculated if range is strictly limited, and would signify an absolute point between isolated airfields if fuel was tight, and might still be relevant with short-range aircraft, but doesn't apply to long-range aircraft. I seem to remember Capt John Wayne being caught out by the PNR in "The High and the Mighty" as he flew a DC6 (I think) across the Pacific.
They had real pilots in those days LOL!

Of course the PNR (as well as the Equal Time point) takes into account the wind component.

Cheers,

Peter

Britjet

Thank you Raj, that is very kind of you.
Peter

Britjet

Just a heads up..

I am thinking of producing videos on the following:-

1) Approach configuration - flap and speed selection on various type of approach.
2) Tips for accurate landings
3) Circuits, Circling procedures
4) Non precision approaches - NDB, VOR, RNAV etc
5) Diversions
6) Engine failures

I might go on to a sort of "advanced" look at generic non-normal handling and some specific failure situations. e.g. Hydraulics, Flight Controls etc

How does this sound? Comments and suggestions very welcome.

Cheers!

Peter

jtsjc1

This would be great Peter especially the first one. I often get caught up with "am I too fast too slow?" for the approach so that would be really helpful. All of your suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks again for your time and the excellent vids.
Joe

Adrian FW

Peter,

I purchased PS1.3 way back and since those times have collected every book, commercial video/DVD and magazine article I can find about the 747-400.  In fact anything that I thought could help me learn how the 747-400 works and how to fly it.  When I stopped using PS1.3 and Hardy started developing PSX I knew in time I would again, as a solo simulator flyer, face a very steep learning curve to get to a point of anything near competency in piloting PSX in even the simplest of situations. With the help of Brian's excellent Introductory Tutorial I relearnt the basics but there my understanding stalled.  That is until you came along with your videos.  You have significantly added to and helped my understanding.   Your videos are a real joy.  In late middle age I find myself again challenged.  It's hard work but when a flight comes together I'm like a dog with two tails.

If I may make a request for a video.  I'd like to understand the thinking and resulting actions following on from say leaving Heathrow and flying up the backbone of England and then needing, for whatever reason, to divert and get on the ground ASAP.  Where would you go - Manchester, Glasgow? And why?  What factors would contribute to that diversion decision and how do you execute it?

Thanks very much indeed.
Adrian

Britjet

Thanks Adrian. A very nice idea for a video. I will add it to the list!

Peter

Tord Hoppe

Peter, allow me to join in praising your efforts in making these videos. Getting advice from the pros is invaluable. :)

I´d like to suggest a video regarding the use of Route 2 in the various phases of a flight. Perhaps prepare a return to the departure airfield, use RTE2 waypoints to "draw stuff" on the ND, prepare different variants for arrival/landing?

Best Regards
/Tord Hoppe

Britjet

Thanks Tord,

That's another good idea...

Peter

funkyhut

Hi Peter,
Many Thanks. Your style is just perfect!
Just one question - I've subscribed to your YouTube Channel but it does not show any videos there. To find the videos I have to go to your post here.
It would be wonderful if when you post a new video, I'm alerted through the YouTube subscription alert system.
Again, thanks for all your effort and advice.
Greetings from the mountains of Northern Thailand (VTCC),
Chris Stanley.

Britjet

Hi Chris

The videos are "unlisted" in Youtube - you can only access them via the links above.
I have no videos which can be subscribed. Sorry!

Peter