News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

I have intentionally programmed it such that FLCH engagement can only increase your thrust, not reduce thrust, i.e. it changes to CLB (or CON) only if it was CRZ before.

However, what I found strange in the video is this at 3:15:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jf6XS0izTdo#t=193

At 3:15, CLB 2 (selected by THR switch) goes back to G/A when changing from TO/GA to FLCH. Is this a video cut? I can't reproduce this in PSX; it stays in G/A.

Also, Peter, how did you manage to get CLB 2 instead of CLB by pushing the THR switch? :-) Did you record this shortly after takeoff?

Thanks again, Peter!

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Britjet

Hi Hardy,

Thanks for the video excerpt..

All the videos were done as described ie from a GA, no take-offs involved.

I agree that the GA indication when pressing FLCH was an odd one - not sure how this happened...

I noticed the CLB2 indication when the THR was pressed, and in fact had done about three takes of this particular manoeuvre beforehand, seeing CLB 2 each time, but ignored it as it wasn't an important point. ( I wondered at the time if the PSX algorithm for deciding the climb thrust rating might be the same one that decides the Climb thrust option on the THR LIM page on the ground, i.e. performance based, but let it go.)

Another video coming momentarily..

Regards,

Peter

Britjet

New video uploaded.

How to use the Flight Path Vector (FPV)

Cheers,

Peter

IefCooreman

Very nice vids indeed! In the GA vid, Something else I've noticed, when you push TOGA the first time it adjust AT and APFD modes. When you push a second time to have full TOGA thrust, I think it only affects the autothrottle.

If LNAV is engaged, isn't LNAV supposed to remain engaged? Seeing this vid made me doubt so I checked the manuals. On the 777 roll mode changes back to TOGA with HDG modes, but not in LNAV. On 747 roll mode stays in whatever mode it is in with the second push?

Berndo

Quote from: BritjetNew video uploaded.

How to use the Flight Path Vector (FPV)

Nice "trick" with the FPV for the glide path - thanks!

Your tutorials are amazing. You speak slowly and clearly so that means I can concentrate on the different panel sections of the video.

Thumps up,
Bernd

Christo van der Loo

HI IefCooreman,

The 777 has TOGA to LNAV.

If there is a valid LNAV track in the box LNAV will engage at 50" RA with the autopilot disengaged and 200" with the autopilot engaged after pressing TOGA.

So after pressing TOGA a second time on the 777 LNAV will immediately re engage again.

Cheers
Chris

IefCooreman

Hi Christo,

Yes I know, but I was questionning the 744 logic since the 744 FCOM speaks only about autothrottle mode, where 777 FCOM explains differences depending on available/activated/armed lateral modes.

So I presume on the 744, as in the situation in the video describing the second TOGA push effect (full TOGA thrust) LNAV has to remain active with the second push of the TOGA switch, if active prior to the push. In the video lateral mode changes back from LNAV to TOGA.

Christo van der Loo

Ok I see what you mean.

I would think if the system doesn't have TOGA to LNAV a second push should re engage |TOGA|TOGA

Will have to wait and see what Brit says...

Cheers
Chris

Britjet

Hi guys - yes - the 777 is different:
(these quotes from the respective FCOM2 manuals)

777:-
Second push (go-around active with flaps out of up, LNAV armed, TO/GA roll
and pitch mode) - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust, or

Second push (go-around active with flaps out of up, LNAV active, TO/GA pitch
mode) - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust, roll mode
remains LNAV, or

Second push (go-around active with flaps out of up, HDG SEL or HDG HOLD
active, TO/GA pitch mode) - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA
reference thrust, selects TO/GA roll and pitch modes.

747:-
Push (on approach with flaps out of up or glideslope captured) -
• activates A/T in THR mode with GA reference thrust limit displayed.
Thrust adjusts to provide a 2000 feet per minute climb
• selects TO/GA roll and pitch modes
• activates F/D with no A/P or F/D active

Second push - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust.

Cheers,

Peter

IefCooreman

Hi Britjet,

Quote from: BritjetSecond push - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust.

And nothing else. If active roll mode is TOGA it remains TOGA, if it is LNAV, it remains LNAV...

Ps: apologies, me jetlagged in HK in the middle of the night trying to get sleepy reading manuals

Britjet

I see where you are going with this..:-) Interesting point..

777 FCOM2 (this time on takeoff)...

Second push (go-around active with flaps out of up, LNAV armed, TO/GA roll
and pitch mode) - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust, or

Second push (go-around active with flaps out of up, LNAV active, TO/GA pitch
mode) - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust, roll mode
remains LNAV, or
Second push (go-around active with flaps out of up, HDG SEL or HDG HOLD
active, TO/GA pitch mode) - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA
reference thrust, selects TO/GA roll and pitch modes.

747 (whole section of FCOM 2 this time)
In flight:
Push (after lift-off with takeoff reference thrust limit displayed) -
• removes takeoff and climb derates and assumed temperature thrust
reduction.
• A/T in HOLD, activates A/T in THR REF mode.
• between 50 feet and 400 feet, selects TO/GA roll mode.
• above 400 feet, selects TO/GA roll and pitch modes.

Push (on approach with flaps out of up or glideslope captured) -
• activates A/T in THR mode with GA reference thrust limit displayed.
Thrust adjusts to provide a 2000 feet per minute climb
• selects TO/GA roll and pitch modes
• activates F/D with no A/P or F/D active

Second push - activates autothrottle in THR REF using GA reference thrust.

You will see that there is no particular reference to the changes to LNAV with the second push for the 747,  (in fact no mention of LNAV at all in the whole TOGA section), whereas this is specifically mentioned in the 777 case.
Personally I don't think I have ever met this situation - (having never seen a TOGA press/ LNAV/TOGA press situation), so as always, I am prepared to be incorrect, as will PSX in this case, but I don't think so.
Perhaps Hardy can shed some light - but I am *fairly* sure that I am correct :-)

Shouldn't you be in "Dusk-til-Dawn" instead of trawling manuals?-  LOL!

Regards,

Peter

IefCooreman

Quote from: BritjetShouldn't you be in "Dusk-til-Dawn" instead of trawling manuals?-  LOL!

Ok, NO comment! big LOL! Are you going to do a training vid on that long haul SOP as well? :-)

Cheerz!

Martin Baker

Peter, I don't know if you take requests but (for me) something on the radio panel and setting it up for its various uses would be really helpful - this is an area which only had a very basic simulation in PS1 and, although I can get by, I'm finding it quite hard to build a full understanding using the manual alone. Seeing them in use would be really helpful! Thanks, M

Britjet

Hi M,

Are you thinking of the comms panel(s) or the NAVRAD page?

Peter

Martin Baker

Quote from: BritjetAre you thinking of the comms panel(s) or the NAVRAD page?

The comms panels - in other words a demonstration of pp.155-170 of the manual - thanks!

Britjet

Hi M,

I think that covering such a panel would be quite a tricky and long video to do - there is quite a lot of technical material there. I would suggest you try it out, and any questions that you have I am sure can be answered in the forum.

Sorry!

Peter

vito

Just watched all videos, thank you Peter! Waiting for more :-)

best regards

vito

cagarini

Peter,

I would really like to see a video on A/T and A/P use during approach, and manual / coupled landing.

When should the A/P be disconnected? When should, if so decided by the crew, the A/T be disconnected and the throttles handled manually ?

Are there SOPs recommending that the A/T should stay armed during approach and landing, and only disconnected during the rollut ?

In PSX I believe I have really killed a few good landings even under adverse weather, when, during flare, the armed A/T all of a sudden decided to kick in and  "give me speed" instead of going to idle :-(

Britjet

Hi Jcom
That's a good idea for a video. Thanks.
Re the autothrottle. You don't ever use it for a manual landing. It should come out just before you take out the autopilot. The autopilot disengage point is obviously variable, and when I produce a video on it I will talk more about that. In my company it was normal to take out the automatics when visual and below 1000ft.
For an automatic landing the autothrottle stays engaged throughout, and is only disengaged by the action of selecting reverse thrust after landing.
The 747 has a very strong pitch effect due to thrust from the engines (slung under the wing) so it is very destabilising, and difficult to fly manually if the autothrottle is engaged.
If you hand-fly I recommend you take out the auto throttle, unless it is just for a prolonged climb, in which case take it out before level-off..

Cheers

Peter

cagarini

Thx Peter!

Looking fwd for that video, and any video in your series :-)