News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

lentik

Thank you Peter for your great tutorials!! :)

Britjet

Thanks Lentik. Pleasure...

Adrien.
 It's a possibility. I will discuss it with Gary.
Out of interest our final sector in the recent SimfestUK flights - (the one into Juneau) was quite similar to a LOFT, with a double engine failure and a fuel leak..

Peter

cagarini

I have to ask...

What is a LOFT, in this context ????

cavaricooper

Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

cagarini

phenowinx

Hi Peter

I am using your videos (especialy the Circuit1 and 2) to understand how to fly with the 744. I am very impressed by your competence. Without these wonderful videos, just by using the oper manual, I would not be able to run the aircraft. Both informations (oper and your ideas) are absolutely necessary!

It is a great pleasure to use this nice simulator together with your great videos.

Many thanks for your great work! (And clearly also many thanks to Hardy Heinlin for his great work on this simulator!).

yours sincerely

phenowinx

Britjet

That is very kind of you to comment - thank you!

I have actually just spent most of today doing the latest one and hope to have it online later tomorrow.

It will be for one-engine inoperative approaches - with two-engines inop to follow later..

Cheers,

Peter

cagarini

Peter,

I know the subject wouldn't make a great tutorial but, I still would like to leave here the question - don't recall if I already ask... so sorry if I did...

It's still about sideslip or more properly, forward slip, and it's practical use in a 747-400.

In the latest patches I find it behaves very credibly in PSX now. There is noticeable additional drag, and a drop in speed if you do not push the yoke...

But I wonder if such maneuvers are indeed tested in the LevelD sims, or used IRL ?

Britjet

Hi Jose,

I've never seen it tested, and there is no practical use.

As I think has been mentioned before, deliberately applying sideslip is a complete no-no with swept-wing aircraft, and puts an enormous load on the fin. You really do run the risk of structural damage, as with the tragic accident out of JFK a few years ago..

You can of course apply full rudder in a asymmetric situation, particularly at low speeds, and the rudder ratio is there to prevent over stressing of the aircraft, but the side loads would still be pretty horrendous at any speed.

Best left alone, IMHO ;-)

HTH

Peter

cagarini

Thx Peter ;-)

Whenever I land my glider in a pronounced fwd slip I dream of how great it would be to do it in a 744....

Sometimes I am glad I never managed to make a career in civil aviation.... What a danger!

And those great hammerheads, loops, a bit of inverted ... Well, airliners aren't my beach, that's for sure :-)

Will

Sideslip induced airframe damage might be worth modeling in PSX...?

[Edit: perhaps it already is? I haven't tried.]
Will /Chicago /USA

Britjet

New video uploaded - One-engine Inoperative Approach and Go-Around

I hope you like it..

Peter

emerydc8

Another excellent video, Peter! Thanks!

Jon D.

cavaricooper

Peter-

The credits reminded me I still had some 1703 tucked away in the cabinet.  I spent the remainder of the evening reviewing all your videos, and sipping away. A very civilized way to pass a couple of hours, and much less frenetic than the usual type rating ground school ;)

Ta!

C

PS- did you get your hands on the An-2 yet?
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Thanks Carl..

I don't think the An-2 will work very well on my setup, which really only needs a basic aircraft cockpit - any more than that won't really fit well..

Peter

cavaricooper

Peter-

I understand- but 'tis a pity, it's simply an amazing FDE!  

Still, that's exactly the reason I haven't run VisualPSX....yet.  I sim on a 65" Sony monitor, and do not want to give up the flexibility a single display offers.  While I do offload the overhead and pedestal to a second computer/monitor, and the CDU to the iPad- the main single display choice works best for me.  I do like the idea of a few extra monitors, but dislike the resulting limitations on airframe choice in other sims.

Peter's (Skino) upcoming release will allow me to finally use P3d (in a "window") for the windshield section whilst allowing the rest to be PSX- THAT will me my nirvana.  PSX for the long-haul stuff with P3d VISUALS, AND P3d alone for the goose pimple inducing explorations of Alaska and the PNW in the An-2 or Twin Otter.

As ever, I am indebted to you for your work- ta!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

andrej

Dear Peter,

this Wednesday, I have completed a nice long haul flight from EDDK- ZSPD. I have taken notes from your videos and tried to apply as many tips as possible.

I have to say that in combination with your tips, PFPX flight planning and awesome PSX product, this was so far my most enjoyable ride ever. I have used the FIX page throughout the flight, focused on gates while on approach, and tried to do landing using PVD.

'Hand flying' the Queen at 250+tons was so easy and doing ILS approach in a rainy weather was fun.

So thanks again! I am looking forward to more of your tips!

BTW, while flying over China, it got me thinking if there are any tips overflying China (metric system) and/or any tips when flying over high/er ground (such as Tibetan Plateau or Himalayas)?

Cheers,
Andrej

Britjet

Thanks Andrej,

Chinese metric levels are not really a problem except for the boundaries with ICAO units where all the aircraft have to adjust. In practice this is well handled by the relevant ATC unit. One thing that is worth doing is having a metric conversion chart handy so that you can double-check clearances.

QFE operations still exist in many of the areas under Russian and Chinese influence and thus has to be carefully managed. Maybe a video one day....

High ground has quite a few issues. Without going into it in detail here I suggest you make a separate post asking for advice and I am sure there will be lots of contributions!

Decompression, Oxygen endurance, Minimum Safe Altitude calculations, extra margins for strong winds, cold air mass, engine failure drift-down.....

Peter

cavaricooper

Peter:

Did you ever use/reference Gerd Pupel's charts? From my perspective, they are simply brilliant....

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Yes, they were in common use at BA, in updated form. Very useful for general situation awareness..
Peter