News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

cagarini

Quote from: BritjetOn the video, the inference is that the rudder trim should be completed before actioning the memory items. This is me reverting to multi-crew habits, I'm afraid.
In a multi-crew environment the HP would call for the appropriate memory items as soon as possible after 400 feet, and then trim the rudder while they were being done by the other pilot, so in the video I got things slightly in the wrong order from the single-crew perspective.

For single-crew operation it would be better to keep the rudder pressure applied manually while shutting down the engine, and then trimming the rudder..

Sorry about any confusion..

Peter

Peter,

thx for the updated video, where the enhancements in sideslip included in the latest version have contributed to an ever better, I guess more realistic response from the aircraft and handling from the pilot.

Your note on the subtleties of it being performed by a single pilot bring an idea, which is not at all new, and exists for other simulators like P3D, FSX and now X-Plane too... a virtual co-pilot adding CRM to the simulated cockpit...

I wonder if such an add-on could be designed / implemented for PSX. The default options for actions from the first officer are already nice to have, but having a robot simulating the 1st officer would be nice, going through the checklists, setting systems, and even cooperating in the decision process when events like significant weather or failures occur....

I confess I never had such a program for FSX, something in the line of "FS2Crew" or "MCE" now also available for X-Plane 10 ( if I'm not wrong... ), but I would probably invest in one for PSX :-)

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: jcommthx for the updated video, where the enhancements in sideslip included in the latest version have contributed to an ever better, I guess more realistic response from the aircraft and handling from the pilot.
The sideslip tuning in the latest version does not affect the existing engine-out behaviour. It just affects cross-controlled rudders and ailerons in symmetric thrust conditions.

|-|

cagarini

Ah, Ok Hardy, although I guess it ends up affecting engine out as well, because of the induced yaw and resulting roll moment due to yaw and the resulting momentary sideslip when the engine fails, plus the one that results from the pilot inputs to compensate...

0.5.0013. Slip-induced roll rate increased.

... even if it wasn't started by cross-control inputs under a symmetric thrust state...

Basically, I am now having to use more yoke to counter yaw-induced roll, more yoke to counter an opposite rudder application during sideslip, and that, combined with:

0.5.0014. For cross-controlled rudder/aileron: Yaw rate reduced, drag increased.

results in a different, I believe more plausible overall behavior whenever there is asymmetric thrust...

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinThe sideslip tuning in the latest version does not affect the existing engine-out behaviour. It just affects cross-controlled rudders and ailerons in symmetric thrust conditions.

|-|

torrence

Tutorial 1 - Changing  ILS rwy during approach:  Comment on situ set up

I originally had problems with the procedure outlined in Tutorial 1 - I couldn't get the new runway to autotune the new ILS freq.  Found that the initial rwy ILS freq in the Nav Radio page was manually tuned and stayed locked to that ILS even with the new rwy ILS set in the DEP ARR page.  This was due to my setting up the scenario by using Hardy's transporter on the Position page in the Instructor's Station - I had set up a short final for 27L and then hit the Set FMC/ILS button, which apparently sets the ILS frequ manually.

When I changed my situ to set up some distance out from EGLL and intercepted the 27 L ILS normally the initial runway ILS freq then autotuned and then the shift to the 27R runway worked as shown in the tutorial.

I assume this is correct behavior for the system - i.e. if you have entered the ILS for a runway manually it won't autotune a new freq and you can't change the ILS unless you manually enter a new freq.

Great tutorials - I've finally got some time to go through them systematically and am picking up a lot of new information.

Thanks
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: torrenceI assume this is correct behavior for the system - i.e. if you have entered the ILS for a runway manually it won't autotune a new freq and you can't change the ILS unless you manually enter a new freq.
Yes, correct, manual tuning inhibits autotuning.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Stephane LI

You need to manually delete the freq to enable autotuning again. But this is possible only if loc/gs are not active. Otherwise you need to recycle f/d to leave the approach mode, if I recall the manuals.

Stephane.

Britjet

Just to say I haven't forgotten my "promise" to do cold and dark videos - we are planning to use Gary Oliver's sim (used for Simfestuk) for that, with in-cockpit cam.
It might take us a week or three to get it done, though. I'll try and do a 2-eng inop in the meantime..

Peter

cavaricooper

Sounds brilliant!  

Your contributions to my understanding (and I am sure most others) of 744 operations is hugely appreciated.  Knowing the sequence of standard flows is one thing, understanding the subtleties and foundations of rote procedure, while gaining confidence to handle non-normal operational requirements, is quite something else.

Thank-you Peter, your videos scythe through the drawn curtains of operational knowledge, parting them for all who thirst to know.

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Thanks Carl. My pleasure. I'm glad to be of help ;-)

Peter

Britjet

By popular demand - two videos uploaded! These are a little different to my previous offerings...

Pre-Flight procedures from Cold and Dark through to Take-Off, Parts 1 and 2

My thanks to Gary (Mavis) Oliver in particular for letting us film in his fantastic 747 sim for these two videos.

Home cockpit builders - watch and weep!

Enjoy..

Peter

Berndo

Thanks to Britjet and Gary!

Once again, the videos are a treasure trove of information. I'm already out of tears though -- that is because I was weeping the whole time during the latest Simfest Event! :D ;)

Bernd

Hardy Heinlin

Great videos!

Thank you, guys & girls :-)

|-|ardy

Gary Oliver

It's someone else's turn to play Mavis next time!

Hardy Heinlin

By the way, it looks like part 1 is not public and part 2 is public. Why not make both public on YouTube?

tango4

Weep ? Noooooo.
Oh wait what is this ? Oh crap. It's a tear...
Thanks again for all your efforts Peter. This type of operational  knowledge is extremely valuable as it is really hard to find.
And Gary's cockpit is f**king awesome ! My bad, I meant bloody... :roll:

Britjet

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinBy the way, it looks like part 1 is not public and part 2 is public. Why not make both public on YouTube?

Hi Hardy

I have corrected to my original intention to keep Part 2  "unlisted".
It's down to Gary on this one, (it's his sim, of course) but as you will know I originally wanted to keep all my videos accessible only through PSX. It is worthy of thought and I am open to suggestions.. but I don't really feel comfortable being "mainstream" with all that might entail..
After all, I might be talking Bo**ocks!

Peter

EDIT - I have talked to Gary and he is happy to make them public...

jb747

Quote from: Gary OliverIt's someone else's turn to play Mavis next time!

But Mavis, you have such a lovely set of coconuts.   :lol:

Jon

Gary Oliver

At this rate Mavis' coconuts will be going viral

cavaricooper

Peter & Gary-

WOW!  What a treat it has to be to be able to operate a sim like that!  I'm not prone to jealous fits... but this has to be marvelous....

Peter, I must tell you how thankful I was you stayed the course and used BA procedures... it was fun to follow along on the well worn copy of 02-NP-30-1 dated 1 January 2007.  Things are MOSTLY the same, with a couple of changes with your newer checklists... however, I was most gratified to see that I hadn't been making a complete hash of it these past decades :).

I eagerly await the next installment.... and hope that at some time in the future we shall see you fly the IGS into Kowloon Bay, in the middle of a monsoon, with wipers clacking, the stadium a blurry streak, and sweat pouring off your forehead at the same rate as the precipitation driving into the windscreen ;).  Cheung Chau, to Golf, to Sha Lo Wan, to the Outer and then Middle followed shortly by Checkerboard Hill.... has a nice ring to it doesn't it?  Never have the bland words, "Continued flight on the IGS flight path after passing MM will result in loss of terrain clearance" needed more attention ;).

Splendid mate!

C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

fredje

Hello Britjet,

First of all, thanks for the  videos, they are very usefull. In the preflight video part 1 you entered 6.4 tons reserve fuel into the perf init page but, why 6.4 tons. How do you determine this ammount of reserve fuel?

Thanks in advance,
Freddy.