News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Training videos

Started by Britjet, Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:23

Britjet

New video uploaded...Descent Planning.
Approach and landing next..should be fun!

Cheers,

Peter

JP59

Quote from: BritjetHope this helps..

Peter

Hello Peter,

It helps a lot, and it is very clear. Thank you so much !

ScudRunner

Great stuff Britjet.

Really appreciate the time/input by you `real-world' pilots to help us refine our flying.

Pls keep 'em coming!!!!

cheers
Scud. 8)

JP59

Hi Peter,

I am thinking about an HOLD procedures video detailing the reglementation aspects and the CDU HOLD page. Is it possible ?

Cheers,

Britjet

Good idea jean-Philippe..

I will look into it..

Peter

Britjet

New video uploaded. - Landing!

Cheers

Peter

pcpilot

Hi Peter,

Excellent video on Landing, It was exactly what I was after to perfect my landings.

Now spending more time watching videos than flying  ;)

Thanks once again for your efforts.

Graham.

Raj Hoonjan

Quote from: BritjetNew video uploaded. - Landing!

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

An equisite presentation.

I can see what you mean by sticking to datums now.

I've been lucky enough (thanks to my wife) to have flown the 744 at BAFT several times (wish it could be more) and the instructors also talk about datums.

The instructors also focus on getting the outside picture right.

So, to my question. At what point (e.g. distance from threshold) do you make a transition from full instrument cues to visual cues (e.g. PAPI / aiming point). I guess it very much depends on each situation and type of approach but my thoughts are around 5-8 mm out.

Hope the question makes sense.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

Kind regards
Raj

Britjet

Hi Raj,

You would have a scan of inside and outside, of course, at any stage of a visual approach, but you would never be using visual cues on their own until the last 100ft, really. The instrument information is so much more accurate than outside cues alone.

PAPIs can be basically disregarded below about 300ft. The aiming point is valid all the way to the flare. Outside 300ft - well, it is largely a personal choice and would depend on the situation...

Does your wife fly?

Peter

falconeye

Thank you very much Peter for these very instructive videos!
I was not aware of all these little details you are talking about,when it comes to landing.
Although I have a friend, who is a retired LH 774 pilot, he never told me about all those tricks you are presenting(perhaps because I have never asked him to do so).
So hopefully we will se a lot more of your videos!

Cheers from Germany

Raj Hoonjan

Hi Peter,

Makes perfect sense.

Thank you.

Quote from: BritjetDoes your wife fly?

I wish! She just about puts up with my interest in aviation :-).

Raj

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Peter,

great tutorial again, very professional "script and timing", in my opinion. Also, the audio quality is even better now, I think.

I hope this "hat" metaphor on the attitude indicator will encourage PSX users to zoom the PFD in to [size=15]real-size[/size] :-)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

To add 1 cent to the ground effect: Another factor, aside from the cushion effect, is the interruption of the wingtip vortices by the ground level; this reduces the induced drag, hence increases the airspeed a little bit while the thrust is the same. (This factor may be more noticeable on aircraft that have no winglets.)

CarlBB

Hi Britjet,

Thanks for sharing this knowledge! Interested in any any future vids that you may produce; esp as you suggested maybe looking at holding, Route2 and NPAs but all are very interesting and of course welcome.

@Hardy - yes, big PFD on my setup (manual flying view) . Advice that I've taken since I first read it on here and I find it really beneficial when flying manually!

Regards

Carl

jtsjc1

Hi Peter again a very helpful and informative video. The tophat is extremely useful and easy to remember. And yes I raised my hand.  ;)  Just a thought but how about a video on the inner workings of the autothrottle? Thanks again!
Joe

DavidP

Sensational videos, thank you. Brilliant presentation.

cagarini

Britjet ( aka Peter ) :)  Another GREAT video!  Thank you so much!!!

Britjet

Thanks guys,
No more videos for a week or so now as I am off for some warm golf.
In the meantime, a short video uploaded on how to land a jumbo in a crosswind..

Enjoy..!

Peter

Frans Spruit

Hi peter,

Last video by far the best :D ,
Enjoy your golftrip.

regards,

Frans

tango4

No, last video was cruel !
I thought I might be able to land this damn plane in crosswind...and no. Instead of that, British joke !
OK I have to admit it was really funny. Enjoy your golf trip and again a huge thanks for those private lessons you give us for free.

Charles

nawarren

Hi Peter,

I really can't say how informative and helpful your videos are. Having a pro like yourself go to the effort of helping us with these great videos is much appreciated. Having read books and studied the A/C, I have to say that your videos are by far the best way to learn and understand the B744.

I realise they must take a lot of your time and effort to produce them, and would love to see more, I would particularly like to see some systems videos, and failures :)

Many thanks for all your hard work Peter

Cheers

Neil