News:

Precision Simulator update 10.175 (29 May 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Screenshots of your PSX sim ?

Started by honzavlk, Sat, 15 Nov 2014 08:21

Markus Vitzethum

cagarini

andrej

Quote from: Markus VitzethumA small update to my system, after adding one more display and slightly more computing power.  :D

Dear Markus,

that's one sick setup!   :mrgreen:  :shock:  8)  8) You sir, have given me an inspiration to build me a home cockpit. :)

Could be so kind, and give us a technical description (how many computers, set-up) are needed for such creation? Since this is an update, it would be nice to know what has changed.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Andrej

Markus Vitzethum

Hey, thanks, Andrej!

> You have given me an inspiration to build me a home cockpit.

Actually, many moons ago, I promised my wife to never ever built a home cockpit, but slowly, one monitor after the other arrived ...  :twisted: Technically, it is not a cockpit yet, just computers and monitors...

> Could be so kind, and give us a technical description (how many computers, set-up)
> are needed for such creation? Since this is an update, it would be nice to know what has
> changed.

Sure I can. The main change is that I upgraded from one to - now - two "main" computers with the computing power to run FSX. They are i5s with a GTX670 and GTX960 card, respectively.

The i5-4690 3.9 GHz with GTX960 is new. It drives the "visuals", running FSX. The trick is using a free software named SoftTH (for Software Triple Head) to run FSX across the 3 monitors of different size.

The older i5 is the PSX main server. Previously, I used PSX one three computers for the main panel, now it's one computer with 3 screens side by side.

The overhead panel and the center pedestal are by PSX running on older computers (Centrino for the overhead, a laptop + 13'' screen for the center pedestal).

So, last year, I had one powerful computer for the center screens running PSX and FSX, and old second hand computers drawing the displays for the left and right screens (see first contribution in this thread.)

Now, I have two powerful machines, each powering 3 displays (3 for FSX, 3 for PSX). The low power computer runs the overhead now. No change on the laptop for center pedestal.

Hope this helps. Or do you need a nice little diagram?  ;)

Best regards,
  Markus

andrej

Dear Markus,

thanks you for your time and effort to explain the set up. So basically, you have three computers running this (2 middle end i5s, and one laptop). Is that correct?

I will definitely look into the SoftTH. This is quite interesting, as I have a couple of monitors but I am planning to get few more (plan is to have at least four). Speaking of the monitors, are they touch sensitive or all your clicking and pushing is done via a mouse?

Did you build a monitor holder or are they stacked at different levels (like on table and a shelf)?

I planned to start with a single computer (i7; most likely with two gpus), but your set up of two i5s is pretty interesting as well. Let's face it, these will be used for three things only (PSX, FSX, and Falcon BMS), so I have to consider all facts and options. :)

Currently I have an older MacBook (grandpa from 2008) and I my frames-per-second move between 18 - 40. Given the fact that it should not run it, I am more than happy.

Nonetheless, thank you very much for your time and explanation! :)

Cheers,
Andrej

400guy

Below is part of a prior message.  

As I continue to have a problem finding a good home locally for my simulators I thought that let the folks on this forum know that they are available to you if you can come and get them ! (mostly FREE except for your time and labor)!

Problem is that they are located near Sacramento Ca.

EMAIL me at jj@kingmont.com if you are interested.

Quote from: 400guyAs there are some pictures of my sims on my web page, I'll just put a link to them here.

ftp://ftp.kingmont.com/pictures/flight-sim/

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Andrej,

> thanks you for your time and effort to explain the set up. So basically, you
> have three computers running this (2 middle end i5s, and one laptop). Is that
> correct?

thanks a lot for your nice words.

Actually, the current setup is powered by four computers. You are right about the i5s and the laptop, and there is one more (1 low-cost Intel Centrino).

So:
- FSX by one i5
- PSX main panel by one i5
- PSX overhead panel by one Intel Centrino
- PSX center pedestal by a Core2 Duo notebook + external 13'' monitor.

> I will definitely look into the SoftTH.

As far as I know, SoftTH works in DX9 mode. So, I'm note sure about P3D which is (I think) DX10. SoftTH is particularly nice if you have different size monitors like me.

> Speaking of the monitors, are they touch sensitive or all your clicking
> and pushing is done via a mouse?

No, just simple monitors. Touch would be nice but not done due to cost. But I can move the mouse across all computers with just a single mouse.

> Did you build a monitor holder or are they stacked at different levels
>(like on table and a shelf)?

Right now they are stacked at different levels on a sufficiently large table. A wooden board is holding the three FSX monitors and huge pile of books (unread PhD thesises  :D ) the overhead.
The overhead panel will probably move to a wall mounted holder soon.
I'm note sure about what to do with the center pedestal (seperate table right now).

> but your set up of two i5s is pretty interesting as well.

The nice thing about two i5s: you can connect more monitors to it. Actually, the GTX960 I have in one i5 can power up to 4 monitors (I have 3 connected). This is amazing.  :)

Markus

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Quote from: Markus Vitzethum... and huge pile of books (unread PhD thesises  :D ) the overhead.
That's fine. One of my PhD statements was that a PhD thesis is there to be written, not to be read.   :mrgreen:

Hoppie

Markus Vitzethum

Hi Jeroen,

> written, not to be read.

how true.  :D  And somehow, I knew that you would not miss my comment about the PhD thesis.  :lol:

Markus

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Skino

A small extension for my Softpit; Sidewall with Tiller (from an old USB steering wheel) and a monitor for my EFB:

...Peter

Britjet

Personally, I just love touchscreens as a way to go if you want to avoid extensive hardware integration. I find they work extremely well with PSX.

The opening image on the "PSX tips" is my setup, which is all touch. What is really nice is that it all works! Every switch, button cb etc. I use two I7 PCs for this, each with two fairly fast graphic cards.

I also spend at least half of my time with a P3D aircraft such as a Pilatus Porter splattered over the screens any which way, and then connect it to another PC via WIDEVIEW  for the scenery, which is a 3-projector setup, and I then "muck about" in ORBX scenery or similar.
Sometimes it's nice to head off into the hills!

Peter

cavaricooper

Peter-

Whilst slightly off-topic,  I too enjoy exploring Orbx scenery low and slow. I recently discovered Sibwings' An-2.  So completely different from anything in the Western world, yet an incredible simulation in P3d.   Totally splendid.

Best- C
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Britjet

Thanks Carl. I will look at that. Nice to see you back on the forum..

Peter.

honzavlk

Hi,
what is the main big display you are using ? Is it a large monitor or a TV screen ?

Thx,
Jan

Quote from: SkinoA small extension for my Softpit; Sidewall with Tiller (from an old USB steering wheel) and a monitor for my EFB:

Skino

Yes, this is a 40 inch TV with HDMI. I like better than many small ones. Previously had up to 7 monitors.

http://boefb.webnode.com/mein-softpit-my-softpit/
...Peter

honzavlk

Hi,
do you think that FULL HD resolution is sufficient for such size of display ? What is your experience ?
I am using 27 inch full HD monitor and compared to 24 inch.. the full hd seems not to be sufficient.. Even in PSX, everything is big, that is pretty fine, but the graphic quality (number of pixels) look worse (i mean symbols on displays are not perfectly shaped-like surrounding airports symbols-perfectly readable of course, but not clear as i would like to see them :-)).. I have to zoom the panel more to get more clear rendering.. That is of course understandable..

Actually i am thinking of buying a 4K monitor to get more parts of cockpit visible at the same time, anyone has some experience with using 4K display and PSX ? I think the graphic must be really outstanding, everything very smoothly rendered..

If someone has a screenshot.. perfect..

Cheers,
Jan

Quote from: SkinoYes, this is a 40 inch TV with HDMI. I like better than many small ones. Previously had up to 7 monitors.

http://boefb.webnode.com/mein-softpit-my-softpit/