News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Equipment cooling fans noise

Started by JP59, Thu, 6 Nov 2014 18:57

torrence

Quote from: JP744Just want to reproduce the ambiant "atmosphere" of the flight deck accurately. If the real one is too noisy, I want my simulator too noisy also. This is the aim of a simulator, isn't it ?

He, He - typical virtual reality mental tail chasing issue.  If you simulate the 'real' audio environment accurately, you would, as John notes, have to wear noise-cancelling earphones to protect yourself/keep from going nuts - so then you can 'simulate' wearing the headphones by reducing the volumes in the sim, approximating what PSX does now ...

No completely satisfactory answer for all audio environments - my friends start yelling at me to turn down my laptop sound whenever I'm running PSX as is  :) .

Cheers,
Torrence
Cheers
Torrence

Hardy Heinlin

Apropos of noise cancelling simulation ... I don't know what other companies prefer, but I remember from the distant past that, at Lufthansa, they usually set the master volume on their 744 sims to 80%. I recently noticed in a video clip of a new 748 sim at LH the master volume was again set to 80%. -- I think that "sounds" reasonable :-) (If one works without noice cancelling.)

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I am currently on Iceland getting a 757 equipped with SATCOM and other gear and I spend too much time standing on the main equipment center access ladder with my head inside. The drone of the equipment cooling is so loud that I had hearing problems soon. I now have earplugs and that gets better. We're talking 90dB(A) or more here, I'm sure. The overboard exhaust vent has been equipped with a truck exhaust muffler to dampen the noise in the hangar!

This is not the flight deck, but even that is really loud when the power is on. I know we're not talking absolute but relative to engines/slipwind here, but it is LOUD.

What keeps amazing me is that with one simple switch you switch the whole airplane on. KACHUNK and everything goes live in one big blow. I always fear that something just breaks.

The wire they connected to the #2 fuel control switch which steers my recording mode frightens me. I am supposed to test that...

Hoppie

John H Watson

QuoteThe wire they connected to the #2 fuel control switch which steers my recording mode frightens me. I am supposed to test that...

There should be a Maintenance Manual procedure which includes pulling lots of CBs (ignitors, etc). It probably won't hurt to do a dry spin afterwards just in case fuel has leaked into the engine. Of course, all under supervison  :shock:

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

In order to approach reality the best we can, I just prescribed the use of at least one (1) vacuum cleaner nearby when testing the voice quality of the SATCOM system vocoder in our lab.

;D

Hardy: here's some frequency plots and loudness stuff.
http://www.hoppie.nl/tmp/B737-Flight_Deck_Noise_Reduction.pdf

Found at: www.smartcockpit.com