News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Saitek control sensitivity?

Started by GodAtum, Thu, 16 Oct 2014 19:53

GodAtum

I have the Saitek yoke and rudder pedals. Not being a pilot, I obviously have no idea if the controls are too sensitive or not, but they do feel it. What are other people's impressions?

Will

My two cents is that every controller requires some degree of suspension of disbelief. In the real aircraft, control forces can be quite hefty, needing many pounds of force, and no consumer-grade USB device will come close to that.

So it probably comes down to how it feels for you. I use pedals from CH Products, throttles from Saitek, and the Warthog stick. You could argue (successfully!) that it's a total violation of realism to use a joystick instead of a control wheel for the 747. However, the stick is all metal and has a certain weight and gravitas to it, that pairs very well with PSX in my opinion. To each his own, I suppose.
Will /Chicago /USA

John H Watson

From what I've heard on the forum recently, the real world pilots are happy with the reaction of the aircraft to inputs.

See also this thread regarding elevator feel forces:

http://www.aerowinx.de/forum/topic.php?post=11227

It takes 8lbs of force just to start moving the stick and can take over 100 lbs of force to move the stick depending on trim. Is your chair back strong enough?  :mrgreen:

Rgds
JHW

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

One way to at least feel what the real thing would DO with maximum controller input: assure that all your axes deflect the symbols on the top-left to the extremes if you move the controller to the extremes. Not more, not less. This gives you the same control authority and sensitivity as a real 744. Whether your controls feel realistic is something else entirely.

Hoppie

GodAtum

When I move my controls to the extremes, in PSX it deflects about halfway. It seems I need to adjust the sensitivity but not sure how.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

This is a Windows thing.  Use the Windows calibration tools from the Windows Control Panel.  PSX simply picks up what Windows gives it; there is no calibration of controls in PSX.

NOTE: I mean the deflection of the control inputs, visible in the upper-left corner of the outside view in PSX. These need to track your controls at all times. The PSX control surface simulation, visible on the EICAS if so selected, have nothing to do with your control inputs as there is a slew of machinery in between. They may indeed just deflect halfway or less if you are at speed.

Also, set the PSX null values all to zero before you do anything else.  These are noise suppressors but the default value of 300 is very pessimistic. Start at zero and increase to 1 or 2 if your axis jitters visibly.

Hoppie

Hardy Heinlin

First check that only one PSX instance in your PSX network is assigned to USB flight controls on Instructor > Preferences > USB.

Then check if any other software influcences your USB values from the flight controls. The standard values are +/- 1000. PSX uses the standard values, and these cannot be edited.

|-|