News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Can not post

Started by Ivo de Colfmaker, Thu, 9 Oct 2014 15:52

Hardy Heinlin

Hi,

I think this forum software (UseBB version 1) does not support IPv6. The developpers have planned making a version 2 (which was supposed to support IPv6) in the distant past, but this plan was discarded a few years ago. The support is now limited to minor bug fixes only.

I don't know what the consequence will be if this version will not support IPv6.

The reason why I chose this forum software out of many others is because it was rock stable, strict to html standards, well designed, and free of schnickschnack. I hope we don't have to move to another software and restart with blank contents.

|-|ardy

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It probably would already help if your server stupidly stops responding to IPv6.  This is not in vogue, but as long as the vast majority of people have IPv4, not responding at all on IPv6 isn't major.  Working unreliably is far worse.

Hoppie

tim96

Hi Folks,

i had the same Problem since last week, when I got a new WiFi Router. I couldn't log in. From all my devices like PC and Smartphone no chance. The message "The feature is disabled because this board can not set or read cookies with your broser" appears and no way to log in. I restart the router and all that stuff like mentioned above, nothing works. Then I took a phone call with a technican from my provider. The solution is- in the WiFi setting i must disable the IPv6 activity button, and then it works again. I like to tell it here, may someone has the same problem. I'am fine now and happy, to be back  :P . I'am not very educated in Computers, but i think it is the same what Hoppie mentioned before. The technican said, it is nowadays standard to activate IPv6, and to disable it it can be cause other proplems like the network. Anyway, you can switch the button on demand when you need it for other things.

Best Regards

Volker
EDDK

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Volker,
I could not solve the problem unless disabeling IPV6,
On my Ipad however I could not do this, so the last months I can not post using the Ipad, only reading , and the network post also not available!

Now I am  on vacation in Spain , and My Ipad works flawless, no problem at all.
So maybe the router is the source  off the trouble?
Ivo
A day at this forum is a day learned!

tim96

Hi Ivo,

as far as i understand, the problem is defently the router. When I connect to another network or Wifi, i don't have any Problems. As i sad, disable the IPV6 solve the problems on my Laptop with Windows 8.1. but not on my Smartphone. When i try to Log In over my router it still doesn't work, 'cause there is no possibility of Wlan Settings on my phone. The technican said, on my router is no chance to disable the Ipv6, only in the Windows settings, and that solve the problem. He said, modern router work this way? I don't know if it is so, so i guess many more people must have this problem . I wish you good luck to solve your problem. Have a good time in spain.

Best Regards
Volker

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Possibility: the Aerowinx forum is not, or half on IPv6. Anybody who can try this?

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersPossibility: the Aerowinx forum is not, or half on IPv6. Anybody who can try this?
I've been too lazy to configure and activate IPv6 on my fairly new Asus RT-AC68U router - I would have to read some of the manual to activate IPv6 (grins).  Its firmware is regularly updated.

Everything I do on the internet works fine in spite of lack of access to IPv6, including the Aerowinx forums and features.  My iPads and iPod Touches and Mac and Windows 7 PCs all work fine, too.  Also, my networked TVs, Roku devices, and other networked devices and apps all work fine and can access anything they host.

I worry that I do not understand the questions and issues that are being discussed here.  Just let me know if there is anything specific I can do to help with these issues.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi,
I have a modem with a build in router from my provider.
As far as I know the ipv6 feature can not be disabled, only on my pc in windows, and since i can not disable ipv6 on my ipad i can not use it to post.
I would liked to have a seperate router but that is not posisible,
You can not have all  in the world, I have to settle for my good looks, nice wife and sharp brain. ;)
Ps ; only 1 of the 3 is correct :P

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersPossibility: the Aerowinx forum is not, or half on IPv6. Anybody who can try this?
This forum software is not on IPv6.

The developer of this software once planned a new version that supported IPv6, but this plan has been cancelled some years ago.

A migration to a new forum software would be acceptable only if the existing forum database can be automatically migrated as well.

I'm slowly starting to look out for new software, but that will certainly be a matter of years, not weeks.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

godot

Hardy,
but it is. "aerowinx.com" or "www.aerowinx.com" resolve to both an AAAA (IPv6) and A (IPv4) DNS record:

godot@eisbaer> dig aerowinx.com any @8.8.8.8
(...)
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;aerowinx.com.                  IN      ANY

;; ANSWER SECTION:
aerowinx.com.           21572   IN      NS      ns1.hans.hosteurope.de.
aerowinx.com.           21572   IN      NS      ns2.hans.hosteurope.de.
(...)
aerowinx.com.           21572   IN      A       80.237.133.10
aerowinx.com.           21572   IN      AAAA    2a01:488:42:1000:50ed:850a:5a:5ce0

With the  hosting provider for my personal website, I am able to control whether the domain name should resolve (additionally) to an IPv6 address. Maybe you have a similar setting in your hosting control panel?

If you can remove this "AAAA" entry, all will be fine ;-)

Regards,
Christian

Edit: And definitely no need to replace the forum software, then!

Hardy Heinlin

Christian, yes, "aerowinx.com" is on IPv6.

But does that say anything about the UseBB PHP code being fully compatible with IPv6?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

godot

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinBut does that say anything about the UseBB PHP code being fully compatible with IPv6?
Nah, of course not. Just wanted to point out a quick and easy workaround for you ;-)

Hardy Heinlin

I just updated the forum software to the latest version. This latest version contains only a few minor bug fixes. But -- who knows -- perhaps it will fix the IPv6 problem as well? Probably not. Anyway, could someone who has an IPv6 problem please check if it works now?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Hardy,
It still does not work here, not on my pc when IPv6 enabled, and not on my ipad.
sorry
ivo

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Ivo,

I'm testing some other forum systems ...

Just for a test, can you register here? http:############

... and post a test message there with your IPv6 computer?

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hy Hardy,
done,
works perfect
thanks
ivo

Hardy Heinlin

I'll be trying a forum database migration to another forum software and therefore need to close this forum temporarily ... guess until 0400 UTC ...

|-|

Edit: Wasn't successful. Will try again later.

Hardy Heinlin

The second attempt today was pretty successful. There are only some cosmetic problems to fix. If they can't be fixed, the new board will display the old posts still well enough ...

|-|

Ivo de Colfmaker

Hi Hardy,
Congrats, it works perfect , and nice layout
Ivo

Hardy Heinlin

Testing ...

This is the first post on the new forum at http://aerowinx.com/board

Note: The posts above have been carried over from the old forum at http://aerowinx.com/forum

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Edit: No, Ivo's reply #58 was the first post :-)