News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

File size correct after installation?

Started by 744_alex, Sat, 13 Sep 2014 06:54

744_alex

Hi all,

first of all congrats to Hardy for this outstanding work! I finally received the shipment of PSX and immediately installed it. However, I was surprised to see that the installation went very quick and I am not sure if everything went well.  I checked the total file size in the Aerowinx folder is 2.1 GB after installing it. Can this be correct?

Thanks.

Alex

John H Watson

Sounds about right.

Do you think it is too big or too small? The bulk of the sim is due to the terrain files at about 1.9Gb

Rgds
JHW

Will

Yes, 2.1 GB can be quite correct. Are you having any trouble running PSX?
Will /Chicago /USA

744_alex

Well so far it runs. One odd thing I notice is in the cold and dark situ, after a few minutes doing nothing the stand by artificial horizon (gyro) spinns out of control even the plane is not moving at all. Any idea?

Thanks.
Alex

DrRSG

Quote from: 744_alexWell so far it runs. One odd thing I notice is in the cold and dark situ, after a few minutes doing nothing the stand by artificial horizon (gyro) spinns out of control even the plane is not moving at all. Any idea?

Thanks.
Alex

In situ basic 000 there is no spin as I suspect Hardy aligned the aircraft with IRU before shutdown. If you move the aircraft to a different location I think it spins because the IRU needs to be realigned. I am a rank amateur, I'm sure the professionals will provide a more informed explanation.
Richard

John H Watson

QuoteWell so far it runs. One odd thing I notice is in the cold and dark situ, after a few minutes doing nothing the stand by artificial horizon (gyro) spinns out of control even the plane is not moving at all. Any idea?

The artificial horizon in the Standby Attitude Indicator needs electrical power to keep the gyro spinning. It's quite normal for the gyro to topple without power because of internal resistances and other factors. The old type mechanical gyro has no relationship with the IRUs.

After restoring power, and letting the gyro spin up for a few minutes, you should "cage" the gyro. i.e. pull on the knob to erect the gyro. The gyro may auto-align, but it takes a long time (a few degrees every minute). Boeing say you should release the knob quickly but gently (in real life).

Rgds
JHW

DrRSG

I'm confused John, why no spin in  situ basic 000 but there is spin if you move the plane to another location (ceteris paribus)?

p.s. sorry for the above mistaken posting.
Richard

Hardy Heinlin

The gyro of the attitude indicator takes several minutes to spool down from 18000 RPM to zero. If you turn up the volume you can hear the high pitched tone slowly going down. You can also apply time acceleration to it.

During the spool down the attitude indicator goes crazy. This is modeled after a real 744 attitude indicator which behaved exactly the same way: the rotation accelerates, reaching the peak at ca. 8000 RPM, then decelerates. At 0 RPM it stands still again.

The RPM is indicated on the Instructor. The Basic 000 situ gives you a ship that was shutdown just a few seconds ago.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

DrRSG

Hardy, sorry to labour the point, perhaps I'm thick, but why does the spin start if you move the aircraft used in situ basic 000 to a new location?
Richard

John H Watson

I just loaded 000 and the gyro toppled without moving to a new location. Isn't it doing the same thing for you?

If you moved the real aircraft, it would probably accelerate the toppling process, too.

DrRSG

I don't know what you mean by 'toppled' but its not spinning.
Richard

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Terminology helps.

A gyro spins when it is driven electrically or pneumatically (vacuum) to rotate its flywheel(s) at high RPM. If it spins, it works correctly, and will retain its orientation in 3D space.

When a gyro spins down, it may eventually topple as illustrated in this video.

After all spin has gone and RPM is zero, a gyro usually stops toppling and just sits there, in any random orientation. It may move with aircraft motion but it is no longer meaningful.

A spindown does not necessarily lead to a topple. You may end up with an attitude indicator that suggests a slight bank to the left while you are straight. Can be deceiving.

Hoppie

DrRSG

Thanks Hoppie, you'll make an engineer of me one of these days (I was an economist by trade).
Richard

martin

Don't economists play* with spinning tops?

As their name suggests (and any play-boy/girl will know), these things, too, first spin, then topple**.
(In fact, they are very probably the role model for gyros).

:D

Cheers,
Martin

* at least while still young; scientists do it later, too

** and faster so if you try to move the ground under them

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: rsgodfreyHardy, sorry to labour the point, perhaps I'm thick, but why does the spin start if you move the aircraft used in situ basic 000 to a new location?
Pure coincidence. Just sit there for a few minutes with situ basic 000 and you will see it will start spinning while you are sitting there.

DrRSG

Quote from: martinDon't economists play* with spinning tops?

As their name suggests (and any play-boy/girl will know), these things, too, first spin, then topple**.
(In fact, they are very probably the role model for gyros).

:D

Cheers,
Martin

* at least while still young; scientists do it later, too

** and faster so if you try to move the ground under them
LOL. Economists don't have a childhood, that's why its called the dismal science. We're weaned on calculus and optimization methods and recite the tenets of market dynamics at bedtime.
Richard

John H Watson

I hear that you can damage the bearings of the gyro by letting the horizon spin wildly. You can periodically cage the gyro with the knob during slowdown to stop the spinning, but it feels like you are doing more damage than good (the knob jerks harshly at the point of engagement).

Rgds
JHW