News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Wing Anti-Ice

Started by Qavion, Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:17

Qavion

QuoteDoes this mean, the extended LE flaps are not heated but only the fixed wing edge? Do the flaps not build up ice for some reason?
That diagram brings up annother side question. How does the curved panel (LE extended) turn into a flat panel (retracted)?  
Holger

Continued....

The LE Flaps are not heated, Holger. Only the metal part of the leading edge (and then only a tiny cross section). Perhaps less than 15cm?

The LE panels are composite and very bendy. The metal structure underneath bends them into shape when extended. The paintwork on the panels sometimes isn't so bendy, however.. and eventually peels off.

There are slots in the bottom of the wing leading edge which vent used anti-ice bleed air, but the slots are tiny, and would heat very little of the underside of the wing.

Qavion

P.S. In the picture above, only the part forward of the LE flap panels is heated.

Holger Wende

Quote from: Qavion...
The LE panels are composite and very bendy. The metal structure underneath bends them into shape when extended.
Qavion,
...bends into shape... :shock: I am really impressed.
Thanks for the detailled explanations!

Now I have a new goal for my next flight with PS1.3.
I will fly a 60 min holding in icing conditions, with LE flaps extended (allthough this might not be realistic)...

Regards, Holger