News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

VisualPSX feature request

Started by JRBarrett, Thu, 21 Aug 2014 06:26

JRBarrett

Garry,

I have been enjoying VisualPSX immensely. It has worked flawlessly on every flight where I have used it.

I would like to propose for your consideration an additional option for a future version: the option (through a checkbox in the user menu) to NOT synchronize the time-of-day in FSX to that in PSX, just as we currently have the option to not inject PSX weather into FSX.

I am a member of a VA, (FlyingTigersGroup) which emulates dozens of real-world airlines under a single umbrella organization. VA members may fly a huge variety of aircraft, from the smallest regional turboprops up to heavy intercontinental aircraft like the 777, and of course, the 747-400.

FTG uses very full-featured ACARS Program for tracking block and flight hours, fuel burn etc. All flights between specific city pairs are based on actual airline schedules in effect on the day the flight is conducted. The FTGAcars program automatically links to flightstats.com to verify schedules. I have already confirmed that the FTGAcars program will work properly when linked to FSX while under PSX control via VisualPSX.

There are few restrictions on how flights are conducted in FTG, but one cast-in-stone requirement is that a given flight's off-blocks time must occur within -5 to +30 minutes of the real-world flight's scheduled local departure time. This is easily accomplished by setting the local time of day within FSX to about one hour before scheduled off-blocks time, which gives sufficient time for preflight and loading for an on-time departure.

This presents a problem since currently, VisualPSX automatically synchronizes the FSX time to match the time within PSX. I understand that I could, of course, set the time within PSX to any date or hour that I want, but I would then lose the ability to import real-world current METARS, since turning PSX METAR import on, automatically causes PSX to lock to the current UTC date and time. Not using current r/w weather could present a problem when flying online with VATSIM.

I do understand that the PSX/FSX time sync functions of VisualPSX may be too tightly bound into the program's code to be easily disabled (as a user option), and if so, I certainly would not expect you to do a major rewrite to add a function that may only benefit a small minority of users.... but, if it CAN be done relatively easily, it would be a very nice feature for a future VisualPSX update.

Regards,

Jim Barrett

Garry Richards

I will see what I can do. Not sure when though.
Garry

JRBarrett

Thanks Garry. Certainly no hurry. The program is perfectly serviceable, and will keep me occupied for months to come as I learn the many features of PSX.

Jim Barrett

Garry Richards

Done! There were no issues with interactions with other parts of the software so it was a 15 minute job. Light entertainment during the 3 day modification to the offset routines.  :D

Cheers,
Garry

JRBarrett

Quote from: Garry RichardsDone! There were no issues with interactions with other parts of the software so it was a 15 minute job. Light entertainment during the 3 day modification to the offset routines.  :D

Cheers,

Outstanding! I appreciate it very much, downloading now.

Enjoy your holiday, and thanks again for all you have done for the PSX community.

Jim Barrett