News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Possible bug for Ubuntu users

Started by 400guy, Tue, 12 Aug 2014 02:33

400guy

I got the disk today and installed it with no difficulty on the system here under Windows 7.

Later on I attempted to do an install to the Ubuntu partition (on the same machine) and encountered a problem.

On this partition. the Aerowinx CD is mounted as below, and when the .jar file is run I see this message:

The file '/media/jj/AerowinxPS 10.0.0/Installer.jar' is not marked as executable.

The system here is a dual boot with both windows 7 and Ubuntu on it in separate partitions.

Intel® Core™ i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz × 8
GeForce GTX 680/PCIe/SSE2
64-bit  Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

This is NOT a problem for me, but it could be for folks with a Ubuntu only machine.

hoppie fixed a typo in the title

Tércio Sampaio

Hi,

It's not a bug, its the way how linux works, and for fix it depends much the version of distribution and the java version installed. If you already have the last version. Try this:
java -jar /media/jj/AerowinxPS 10.0.0/Installer.jar

or in the file folder:
java -jar Installer.jar

Best regards

Tércio

400guy

or in the file folder:
java -jar Installer.jar

That worked !

I'n never seen that error before, and as I was unable to change the permission, I thought that the fine ON THE DISK needed to have that bit set.  Apparently not (IF you know of the fix above.

Thanks
jj

Tércio Sampaio

Hi JJ,

Nice to know that it works!!!

Thanks

Regards

Tércio

Richie

Hi fyi

I created a text file 'psx.desktop'  on my desktop  to launch PSX within Ubuntu.
Make sure that it is executable via Properties -> Permissions -> Allow executing file as a program

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Icon=/home/richie/Pictures/psx.jpg
Name=psx
Exec=java -jar /home/richie/Aerowinx/AerowinxStart.jar
Path=/home/richie/Aerowinx
Categories=Utility;

PSX works perfect with Ubuntu  :lol:

regards,
Richard

400guy

Although the method shown above got the installer to work, the installed jar files still had the same message 'till I changed the permissions to allow execution.  The AerowinxStart.jar file no longer complain BUT...

I'm still not able to get it to run here (under Ubuntu). I suspect that I don't have the proper version of java installed.  (Although the installer was happy with what I have)

I'll continue to fool with it a bit more, but as things run fine under windows 7, it's not a big priority for me.

400guy

I've now tried opening the file with both

OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime
OpenJDK Java 6 Runtime

But there is no effect seen in either case.  Any thoughts as to what I need to do here?

Ray_CYYZ

Mount by default prevents execution of content.

Try explicitly granting execute via -o exec like this:

mount -o exec

400guy

Thanks Ray, but I'm not good enough with Linux to follow your direction I'm sorry to say.

The file is on my Ubuntu desktop in the Aerowinx folder, but I'm not sure how to use your suggestion.

(I appreciate your helping hand however !)

jj

Tércio Sampaio

Hi,

after install, you need to go to the aerowinx folder and run the command.

java -jar AerowinxStart.jar

or

java -jar /home/XXXXXX/Aerowinx/AerowinxStart.jar

where XXXXX is the name of your account

With best regards

Tércio

400guy

This command, and the previous suggestion that got the installer to work, got things running here.

java -jar /home/jj/Desktop/Aerowinx/AerowinxStart.jar

Many thanks for the help.

Perhaps this (or similar) info should be passed along to others who might have the same problem that I had.  The Ubuntu installation was NOT the "piece of cake" that the Windows 7 install was!

Tércio Sampaio

Hi 400guy,

nice that now you can run it!

yes, linux is not as user friendly as MS Windows and also suffer that each distribution have his own tiny differences that put the things even worst. It's an awesome OS for specific tasks and not for general domestic use.

Best regards

Tércio

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Linux is very user friendly, it is just quite picky in selecting its friends   :mrgreen:

We fly with it on 777s... try THAT with Windows    :twisted:

http://www.avionica.com/index.php/whats-new/151-pr-777-satlink

Hoppie

David Palmer

Congratulations Hoppie on obtaining the STC for satLINK MAX.
I'm waiting for the special WorldFlight release containing the "Place Call FOR MORE BEER" select key.
I trust you are working on that now with proving flights scheduled in the 1st week of November. ;)
Regards,
David.
a.k.a. 'The Commodore'

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Will

Will /Chicago /USA

Tércio Sampaio

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersLinux is very user friendly, it is just quite picky in selecting its friends   :mrgreen:

Thinking in that way, yes its true :D

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersWe fly with it on 777s... try THAT with Windows    :twisted:

http://www.avionica.com/index.php/whats-new/151-pr-777-satlink

This is in agreement with what i told before "It's an awesome OS for specific tasks"  ;)

Regards

Tércio