News:

Precision Simulator update 10.174 (26 April 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX in use

Started by Frans Spruit, Tue, 5 Aug 2014 18:23

Frans Spruit

Sunday,

Hello all,

It's @#$% fantastic, it looks beautiful ! It will take time to explore the sim that's for sure. I have used PS1.3 from day one, and now I have the pleasure of getting to know its big brother.
Hardy your right :D :D I could not stop the autopilot disconnect alert :evil:
Stop laughing Jeroen!!
I can not give you a report yet there is to much going on but let me say this: You gone love it. Hardy it's a work of art.

Monday,

Linked up with FSX, Garry your the man, thanks a lot. I run PSX and Fsx on one computer...... like butter, i7, 8 mb, normal graphics card
Hardy I found it!! ;)   autopilot disconnect alert stops at my command :P( rtfm)
I am 65 so i'll take things step by step. Wich also means I can play 365 days a year!

Frans Spruit EHAM

Garry Richards

Happy playing, Frans. :D
Garry

eurowing

screenshots, Frans, screenshots!  show us what you've got!!! :)

i am very keen on that PSX/FSX combination and curious how it looks.
Denis

Jan

Fryday,

Hello all,

PSX is running.

2 Computers
4 Monitors
Garry's VisualPSX
FSX Scenery

""""""FANTASTIC"""""""

( I am 83 and don't need a "Medical" for it )

Jan Caris EHHV

cavaricooper

I'm still waiting on FedEx.... Would it be possible to get a couple of photos/screenies of the window layouts?

Most interested in those with FSX and PSX on the same machine.

I use a 65" 1080p TV as my primary monitor, and would love to find a way to run PSX full screen with a "transparent" area where the outside visuals are, where FSXcoukd be sized to "peek through"....

Thoughts?

Carl
Carl Avari-Cooper, KTPA

Jan

Correction,

Wednesday, (not Fryday)

Jan Caris EHHV

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

PSX does not allow a transparent hole in it at this moment.

I can imagine having FSX always on top by means of a windows utility, but then you won't have the center window post and such in front of the scenery.

Probably you will end up having to accept that it simply is not practical to fly with a setup that crams a full flight deck layout on one monitor. I think you will have FSX occupy a rectangular slot at the top of your monitor, and PSX everything below it, further divided in rectangles according to your flying needs, not according to the real layout.

Hoppie

Roel Raeven

Quote from: Jeroen HoppenbrouwersProbably you will end up having to accept that it simply is not practical to fly with a setup that crams a full flight deck layout on one monitor.

Hoppie

Totally agree. When I fired up PSX last evening for the first time and had "trouble" scrolling through the frames, the first thought which came up: I need more monitors.
In my opinion, if you want to fly PSX as it is meant to be as a fully complex simulator you want to "reach" that switch, knob or whatever by not scrolling first through windowframes.

744kid

Yes, That is my initial impression, too. I tried switching window layouts (1 to 9) at first with the mouse but using the numpad is much quicker when you can remember what's on each layout (which I haven't learnt yet). I'm using a single monitor set-up and my current problem-solving revolves around figuring out the best layouts for me. It's going to take a while.

But I can see that this is workable, even on a laptop. PSX is feature-rich and cramming an entire flight deck on to a single screen is not going to happen. First thoughts are that I like Hardy's window layout solution.

Christian Adrigan

SITNI Departure, LOWW-LSZH.

First impressions:

a) never seen such a smooth and sharp sim.

b) I could need more than 1920x1080, iMac 27" here I come.

Congratulations Hardy, this is a masterpiece, although I am afraid I will never be using more like 20% its depth. Never touch a CB. Thank you for creating this piece of art.

Will

Quote from: 744kidUsing the numpad is much quicker when you can remember what's on each layout (which I haven't learnt yet). I'm using a single monitor set-up and my current problem-solving revolves around figuring out the best layouts for me.

I too use a single monitor set-up, and I created a custom 9pack and then mapped joystick buttons to layout cycle + and layout cycle -. With the 9pack I created, pressing the joystick "layout cycle +" button is like tilting your head up towards the ceiling: you see panels above the current one. The oppose is true when pressing the "cycle -" button. I found this to be easy and very intuitive for a one-monitor system.

Best of luck.
Will /Chicago /USA

744kid

Quote from: WillI created a custom 9pack and then mapped joystick buttons to layout cycle + and layout cycle -. With the 9pack I created, pressing the joystick "layout cycle +" button is like tilting your head up towards the ceiling: you see panels above the current one. The oppose is true when pressing the "cycle -" button.
Thanks, Will, for sharing that idea. Cheers

Phil Bunch

Quote from: Will
Quote from: 744kidUsing the numpad is much quicker when you can remember what's on each layout (which I haven't learnt yet). I'm using a single monitor set-up and my current problem-solving revolves around figuring out the best layouts for me.

I too use a single monitor set-up, and I created a custom 9pack and then mapped joystick buttons to layout cycle + and layout cycle -. With the 9pack I created, pressing the joystick "layout cycle +" button is like tilting your head up towards the ceiling: you see panels above the current one. The oppose is true when pressing the "cycle -" button. I found this to be easy and very intuitive for a one-monitor system.

Best of luck.

This sounds somewhat like the navigation method we had for PS1, but I may be misremembering what we had then.  I do remember enjoying many flights on my standalone laptop.  Once you learned the keystrokes it was quite practical and certainly very enjoyable.
------------

I've probably mentioned before that I was once turned into the Captain during a real jetliner flight for flying PS1 during our flight.  The head stewardess saw my PS1 laptop screen and decided I had hijacked the flight.  In reality, I was merely following the assumed flight path of our domestic flight, seeing how accurately PS1 would emulate the real flight.    She never gave me a chance to explain, but she looked awfully red in the face after she returned from her visit to the cockpit.  I suspect the Captain explained reality to her in rather explicit language!
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Horst

Today I got the PSX! Great work, but not easy to handle (for me).

After installing I made some stored flights.
But  I got very often engine failure, programmed I think ...

Please show me the way to disconect all malfunctions.
Perhaps answers on page 14 of the manual ?

greetings
Horst

Will

Situations > Malfunctions > General has a button that will let you reset all malfunctions. Also, any page with existing malfunctions will have a red title, so you can easily spot problems on your airplane from the Instructor page. If you're starting off with one of the "Basic" situations, such as "Basic 001", you shouldn't be having any programmed malfunctions.
Will /Chicago /USA

John Golin

Also, read the description of the Situation in the Instructor window - Hardy has generally put a note in there describing deliberate malfunctions or configurations.
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

John Golin

I created layouts based more on the flight phases, rather than some physical location (which is what people might initially do)

I have a layout I use during prep, another for takeoff / landing, another for cruise, and miscellaneous others e.g. overhead, full center pedestal etc) - this massively reduces the need to change the view.

Actually I have a couple of layouts for for takeoff landing - depending on whether I need to see the CDU / radios...

tip:  You could show just the CDU, or the Upper EICAS, on a small, relatively low powered second machine.  Just change the view and zoom display only the area you need to see, and turn off all the bells and whistles (including outside view) in Settings. (and save all this including the layout!)
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Will

Clarification: I did the same thing John did, with layouts that correspond to flight phases. These happen to stack nicely on top of each other, such that, for example, the "overhead" layout is vertically above the "flight optimized" layout, which is in turn vertically above the "engine start" layout, etc. Hardy's 4-panel configuration idea is so powerful that it would be a shame to reduce the layouts to just visual panning across a continuous physical cockpit.
Will /Chicago /USA

JRBarrett

Quote from: WillSituations > Malfunctions > General has a button that will let you reset all malfunctions. Also, any page with existing malfunctions will have a red title, so you can easily spot problems on your airplane from the Instructor page. If you're starting off with one of the "Basic" situations, such as "Basic 001", you shouldn't be having any programmed malfunctions.

I don't have my copy of PSX yet, but I have no doubt that Hardy has offered failure scenarios ranging from "An easy walk in the park" to "Sturm und Drang"  :mrgreen:

Horst

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

cheers