News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX display features for hardware cockpit

Started by JP59, Wed, 30 Jul 2014 15:30

JP59

Hello,

I read the manual but still have some questions. My cockpit has real MIP with screen frames and screens will be integrated inside. It will be a multi screens and multi computers setup.

1- (Partially answered in the manual but need precisions). Does PSX allows to close all windows and only keep, for example PFD/ND captain side. This question is for performances optimization.

2- Does PSX allows to save a multi computers and multi screens configuration from the server, and load everything from the server. This question is to know if I need access to the instructor interface on every computer (could be difficult because of the MIP frames which hides a part of the screens).

3- Does PSX allows to rotate the display ? This question is because my lower EICAS screen which is integrated in the CDU bay is in portrait orientation and I will need to rotate the display 90°

Thanks

Hardy Heinlin

Hello.

1. Yes. But I don't call this "close other windows". I call it "reduce the flight deck frame size". PSX has two frames: the Instructor frame and the flight deck frame. The size and the position of the flight deck frame can be changed like any other program window. Remove the frame title and border, and make your OS desktop solid black. See also Preview, page 69 (65 in PDF).

2. Layouts can be saved and auto-reloaded at sim start. Each PSX network instance can start with an individual start-up configuration. See also Preview, page 67 & 86 (63 & 82 in PDF).

3. No. But there are programs that rotate the screen for all applications.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

JP59

2- Is it possible to load everything from the one computer ?

3- I need an external application to rotate all the PSX window right ?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

2 - If you want to run PSX on more than one computer, you need to, eh, run it on more than one computer. However you could set up a machine as DISK server, though I don't see the advantage in this. PSX is not a "please run this program on THAT computer" program.

3 - yes.

JP59

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers2 - If you want to run PSX on more than one computer, you need to, eh, run it on more than one computer. However you could set up a machine as DISK server, though I don't see the advantage in this. PSX is not a "please run this program on THAT computer" program.

My setup will have 4 computers and only the PSX server which will be used by instructor will be an accessible computer with keyboard, mouse etc... The 3 other computers have their screens inside the MIP and CDU bay frame and have a part of them hidden by the frame. In addition they will not have mouses and keyboards. That's why I wonder if I will be able to save, then reload ALL the views configuration for ALL the computers from only one.

jb747

My existing setup is somewhat the same.

The PSX server is collated on the same PC with P3D and XP10.  I am running the pedestal CDU from the PSX server as well using a second monitor.  The primary monitor has the instructor screen.  While this might seem like a lot to put on one PC with the graphic intensive requirements of XP10 or P3D I use a Wideview setup and the requirements are not high.

PC #2 has the Captain PFD/ND, the Lower EICAS screen and the Captain CDU on three different monitors. The layout and position is set in the Preferences page on the instructor station so that the same screens come up in the same position everytime, which is what I think you are asking.

PC #3 has the FO PFD/ND, the Upper EICAS/ISIS and the FO CDU on three different monitors like PC#2.

So, start P3D/FSX or XP10.  Start the PSX Server, then PSX on the two client PCs.  Everything connects and displays properly.  Then I go the the PSX server, set the originating flight  where I want it and start the scenery interface program (VisualPSX or XView).

Finally, move to the flightdeck, program the CDUs, contact ATC, do a pushback with ramp and go fly.

Cheers,

Jon

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Typically, a flight deck mockup with embedded computers would start PSX on each computer as part of the fixed powerup sequence per computer. On Win7 this can be achieved by the proper shortcut or .bat file in the Startup (menu) folder.

PSX can be set up to pick up where it left off, or to always start with a predefined situation. I would imagine that the embedded computers always have PSX come up as a dead ship, and then connect to the server. From then, the segments of dead ship come to life as dictated by the server's actions.

Hoppie

JP59

Thank you very much, this answer my questions. Jon, what are the specifications of your PC #2 and #3 ? What is the average FPS on the PFD/ND with such a configuration ? I didn't buy my PSX computers already so this information will be precious for my next choice, thanks.

jb747

Steam age stuff actually based on todays technology.  2600 i7 processor on a mid-range motherboard, 16 GB RAM, dual Nvidia 560Ti cards and single HDD.  No overclocking.   I put these together a few years ago in anticipation of PSX and they have worked up to expectations.

Frame rate:  72 fps.  Enough said.

If you are coming from FSX/P3D use Wideclient as a bat file using the RunReady and CloseReady commands if you are using FSX/P3D as your scenery generator.  If not, there are other freeware products that start/end programs.

Cheers,

Jon

Matt Sheil

Checkout how advance the task scheduler has become in win7 and 8. No need for batch files anymore.

JP59

Quote from: jb747Steam age stuff actually based on todays technology.  2600 i7 processor on a mid-range motherboard, 16 GB RAM, dual Nvidia 560Ti cards and single HDD.  No overclocking.   I put these together a few years ago in anticipation of PSX and they have worked up to expectations.

Frame rate:  72 fps.  Enough said.

If you are coming from FSX/P3D use Wideclient as a bat file using the RunReady and CloseReady commands if you are using FSX/P3D as your scenery generator.  If not, there are other freeware products that start/end programs.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks for the feedback Jon.