News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

X plane 10 or Prepar 3d???

Started by nobody, Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:45

nobody

Before I "retired", I used PS1.3 in combination with FS9. Now I am excited to start flying again on my beloved 744! As a consequence, I am looking for a replacement of FS9. Currently, there are three Flight Simulators (= Scenery Generators) on the market: FSX, X Plane 10 and Prepar 3d...

FSX is pretty old and graphics are outdated. So that leaves only X Plane 10 and Prepar 3d... From what I have seen on youtube, I lean to X Plane 10 rather than Prepar 3D – but I am still not decided. What "scenery generator" will you be using with PSX?

Matt Sheil

Why not use both?  I find prepar3D has better day and addon scenery and
xplane has better night and weather effects.
So you can have the best of both worlds

GodAtum

Quote from: Matt SheilWhy not use both?  I find prepar3D has better day and addon scenery and
xplane has better night and weather effects.
So you can have the best of both worlds

But that means spending nearly twice as much for add-on for each.

John Golin

Its a bit hard as its a subjective thing... what is best for you might not be for another.

There is a free demo of XPlane, and you can buy a monthly licence for Prepared, so give them both a go!
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Matt Sheil

Take up knitting as a hobby, yarns of wool are cheap and you can use chop sticks as needles. :P
Not sure what your budget is, just answered to the best of my knowledge and experience with both.
Good luck

CarlBB

I think for me - the fact that X-plane follows the sloped runways too - so same as PSX - could be a winner (not saying p3d can't, i just haven't used it.

nobody

QuoteI think for me - the fact that X-plane follows the sloped runways too - so same as PSX - could be a winner (not saying p3d can't, i just haven't used it.

That´s an advantage for sure! I was very impressed when I saw the sloped runways, which really looked awesome!

Comparing videos on youtube of both flight simulators let me came to the conclusion that X-Plane 10 is – form a graphical point of view – superior to prepar3d.

QuoteTake up knitting as a hobby, yarns of wool are cheap and you can use chop sticks as needles. :P
Not sure what your budget is, just answered to the best of my knowledge and experience with both.

I am going to buy a new computer just for X-Plane 10. Money is not the issue, perhaps I will try prepar3d at a later stage. But so far X-Plane 10 impressed me much more than prepar3d.

DrRSG

Quote from: Matt SheilTake up knitting as a hobby, yarns of wool are cheap and you can use chop sticks as needles. :P
Good luck
This response is both patronizing and inaccurate. My wife hand-dyes quality yarn and her most expensive item retails at £32 per 100 gms, so less than 1kilo = 1 copy of PSX
Richard

Ray_CYYZ

While everything likely has it's pros and cons, I think the important question really needs to be which interfaces with PS(X) better?

What parts do not work well? Are there going to be problems with different Navdata?

GodAtum

Quote from: Ray_CYYZWhile everything likely has it's pros and cons, I think the important question really needs to be which interfaces with PS(X) better?

What parts do not work well? Are there going to be problems with different Navdata?

Looking at the documentation available, Xview may be better the VisualPSX. Mainly as Xview plane model has more support for aircraft lighting etc.

mikeindevon

Does anybody know if the demo version of X-Plane 10 supports plugins?  You will of course need that to run XView.

Mike

Ray_CYYZ

Quote from: GodAtum
Quote from: Ray_CYYZWhile everything likely has it's pros and cons, I think the important question really needs to be which interfaces with PS(X) better?

Looking at the documentation available, Xview may be better the VisualPSX. Mainly as Xview plane model has more support for aircraft lighting etc.

Thanks, light bulb just went off, it is not so much about the flight sim used for scenery, but also key is the interfacing application that links PSX to XPX/P3D which governs what actually works.

GodAtum

cagarini

I've used all of them.

Honestly, if I was to buy PSX, I would gladly use it with it's own out of windshield model, more than sufficient for me, just as it was already in PS1.3, although I did try it with fs9 and even fsx :-)

400guy

The original posting just mentions X-Plane and PrePar 3d.  There is also another (less well known, bur very good) flight simulator around.  That would be "FlightGear".

Don't know how (or if) it will work for this, but it IS worth considering!

(It also is both free of cost, and open source.)

mikeindevon

Quote from: 400guyThat would be "FlightGear".
For a scenery generator to work with PSX you need to have an interfacing program such as VisualPSX or XView.  These programs are specific to FSX/Prep3D and X-Plane respectively.

To get FlightGear to work somebody would need to write another specific interfacing program.  How long this would take depends on the FlightGear interface and the features of the available aircraft.  To give some idea, the XView project has taken two years, includes some 6,000 lines of code and a re-engineered aircraft (PSXPlane).

Any takers?  :D

Mike

Phil Bunch

Quote from: John GolinIts a bit hard as its a subjective thing... what is best for you might not be for another.

There is a free demo of XPlane, and you can buy a monthly licence for Prepared, so give them both a go!

I personally like this suggestion - thanks! I haven't done much research and I was simply unaware that demo and monthly licenses were available.

Much of the scenery generation evaluation is based on personal preferences and taste, so it's great to learn that there is an option other than buying both of them
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

jb747

Also, you can buy the academic license for P3D for a one time charge of $60 instead of $9.95/month once you have decided which way to go.

I have used both P3D V2 with PSX as well as XPlane10.  Both are smooth and as Matt indicated earlier the daytime scenery is better for P3D and the weather an nighttime scenery better for XP10.  Both are compatible with wrap around screens, warping and edge blending for the pit builder.  P3D with Wideview and XP10 internally to the program (you need warping & blending software with both unless you purchase the pro license for XP10).

Cheers,

Jon

John Golin

Quote from: mikeindevonDoes anybody know if the demo version of X-Plane 10 supports plugins?  You will of course need that to run XView.

Mike

I believe the only restriction is the area you can fly in.... and that the joystick stops working after a while. But I am ready to be corrected.
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

Tércio Sampaio

With the xplane demo, you can insert add-ons, plugins, etc, the only limitation is the time limit per session (after some time, if the original dvd is not in the drive, the joystick stop working).

My experience fsx/p3d vs x-plane is the vanilla scenery of x-plane are much more detailed and runs much more smoother without stutter that the fsx/p3d on the same pc. Also in http://simheaven.com/ you can get amazing photo realistic sceneries for x-plane at 0 USD/€. For example i got from there the Iberia (Portugal + Spain) and is like flying in real life and is +/- 200 GB on the harddisk (all free of charge).

Regards

Tércio