News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Started by mikeindevon, Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:57

cagarini

Wait for the MFS port - you can't go any better...

Ton van Bochove

Thanks Hammerstan, as far as I see know it wil definitely be the last and considering MSFS maybe the RTX.
Ton

David Palmer

I recommend waiting a little while until the release of the Nvidia 'Ampere' and AMD 'RDNA 2' video cards.
This will cause a price drop in new and used Nvidia 'RTX 2080 Ti' cards that are still very good performance cards.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David.
a.k.a. 'The Commodore'

Ton van Bochove

Thanks David! I am very pleased now with the Nvidia RTX 2080S. Super smooth PSX- X Plane performance and XP runs at max settings
Ton

RogerH

i5 3.5k // GTX 970 // 16Gb RAM

Runs X-plane 11 (Vulkan) at 40+ fps with most settings max (reflections low and anti-aliasing low) - runs MFS at around 20-30fps as long as there aren't too many clouds!

GodAtum

Quote from: Hammerstan on Tue, 28 Jul 2020 12:40
Quote from: Hammerstan on Sun,  5 Apr 2020 11:36
I tested xp11.50b1 (vulkan beta) with Xview + xSquawkbox 2.0 + AFV standalone client during CTP this weekend:

- Vulkan works well and does delivers FPS improvement/reduced stutters (my PCs are running 2 and 3 screen set ups using GTX1080s).  Third party scenery seems to be fine.

- Xview had no issues connecting

- xSquawkbox v2.0 + AFV audio worked fine however other aircraft were not being rendered.  The xSquawkbox website (https://xsb.xsquawkbox.net/) suggests an update to v3.0 is in the works to be vulkan compatible

- Ground speed is still not being registered on most clients when using xView +xSquawkbox + AFV standalone client

As an update to the above Vulkan (XP11.50b) continues to work extremely well.  I am now running 3x 4K monitors off a single GTX2080S (+i7 8700k) and getting around 50fps.  The only issue I have faced is that xSquawkbox 2.1 doesn't render VATSIM traffic (v3.0 should fix this).  PilotEdge client now fully works.  Very satisfied.

Wow thats amazing, you might convince me to move to XP! What do you get in big cities with high ortho? Has 11.5 fixed the speed reporting issue?

BTW where can I get the latest Xview download?

Hammerstan

I picked up my version of xView here
QuoteStill available via my dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j49mprhuqzmh8uf/XView.zip?dl=0

Cheers,
AlexB

Large cities with Ortho4XP/ORBX TrueEarth + add on airport scenery (eg KLAX, KSLC, KABQ, KORD, YSSY) all work fine reporting good FPS in Vulkan XP11.50 (30-50fps on multi 4K monitors with GTX2080S; 50-70fps on single monitor GTX1080).  Over 70fps in the air with clear skies.

I have also switched to XPilot for VATSIM which is rendering aircraft traffic (I had to "Reset Networking Configuration" on XP11's Settings|Network page to get it working).  Unfortunately the ground speed reporting issue still isn't fixed.

Captain_Crow

Hi Hammerstan,
I had problems using Xpilot when flying the PSX/XP11 combo. No voice server contacts on Xpilot, AFV did not help.

Did you had the same ?

Best wishes
Steff

GodAtum

Quote from: Hammerstan on Mon, 16 Nov 2020 10:06
I picked up my version of xView here
QuoteStill available via my dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j49mprhuqzmh8uf/XView.zip?dl=0

Cheers,
AlexB

Large cities with Ortho4XP/ORBX TrueEarth + add on airport scenery (eg KLAX, KSLC, KABQ, KORD, YSSY) all work fine reporting good FPS in Vulkan XP11.50 (30-50fps on multi 4K monitors with GTX2080S; 50-70fps on single monitor GTX1080).  Over 70fps in the air with clear skies.

I have also switched to XPilot for VATSIM which is rendering aircraft traffic (I had to "Reset Networking Configuration" on XP11's Settings|Network page to get it working).  Unfortunately the ground speed reporting issue still isn't fixed.

Thanks that's pretty good. What is your CPU and XP11 settings?

I'm hoping to only have to buy 1 new PC rather then 3!

Hammerstan

CPU: i7-8700k
Graphic settings: Visual Effects: High (HDR); Texture Quality: High; Antialiasing: 2xSSA+FXAA, Anisotropic Filtering: 4x, World Objects: Medium: Reflections Detail: Low; Vsync off

cpt_oliver

Hi! I am also using PSX+X-Plane for scenery. Very nice. Anyhow to enhance the visual situations I just downloaded Traffic Global XP. It runs correctly when I use x-plane only. Once connected to PSX via x-view the situations change very often. For example within a minute the aircrafts next to me change from A330 to B747 from Asiana to JAL and so on. Does anybody know about the conflicts-is it an UDP Problem? Thank you for any help

Hammerstan

Quote from: Captain_Crow on Tue, 17 Nov 2020 15:19
Hi Hammerstan,
I had problems using Xpilot when flying the PSX/XP11 combo. No voice server contacts on Xpilot, AFV did not help.

No I didn't have this issue.  I'm using the latest version of xPilot which does not need AFV.

Captain_Crow

Thanks Hammerstan,
meanwhile it´s solved by itself in any way, I don`t know..:-)

Steff

metalmike

I'm a new PSX user and started using Xview today. Mostly an easy experience. A couple things:
I understand mostly how the "PSX Plane" specifically is supposed to sync up with lights, flaps, etc. in PSX itself, though I have noticed the beacon and strobes don't seem to work on the model in X-Plane. Also, is there any other way to fly other liveries on this thing? I don't want to just fly United tulip livery 100% of the time, though I understand this is basically an old XP10 model meant to be a vague 747 representation within XP with working animations.

Before you ask, yes I plan to eventually do MSFS/WidePSX. As a new PSX'er though, I'm not quite ready to splurge on WidePSX.

Thanks.

Ton van Bochove

Welcome on board Mike. You are right about the beacon and strobe lights, they don't work at my plane either.
I changed my livery by replacing the files of the livery in the airplane map.
Ton

metalmike

Thanks Ton.

Edit: disregard I think my problem solved itself.

Hardy Heinlin

If the current QNH has been injected by a recent METAR download from the Internet, the baro pressure transition will be gradual, i.e. the new data will be focussed smoothly, not instantly. When that is the case, the zone page title is magenta instead of green. To focus the new data instantly, click something on the lower half of the zone page, e.g. cycle a windshear checkbox on and off.

Edits on the lower half of a zone page are applied instantly.
Edits in a METAR text field start a slow transition.

|-|ardy

metalmike

I've been having another issue. I haven't been able to connect to Vatsim/xPilot. Is there a special trick to do this? When I open up xPilot and connect to the network, there are only dashes through the boxes where the radio freqs would be (in the xpilot client). Plane is fully powered up in PSX, and connected to XP in xView.

a_wassermann

Quote from: Hammerstan on Wed, 18 Nov 2020 10:46
Graphic settings: Visual Effects: High (HDR); Texture Quality: High; Antialiasing: 2xSSA+FXAA, Anisotropic Filtering: 4x, World Objects: Medium: Reflections Detail: Low; Vsync off

Hi, I am a novice in X-Plane but a long time Flightsimmer (starting with the FS on a c64 some 40 years ago). Just restarted the hobby. I also commented on one of your YT channels as I am trying to replicate your setup. T

he difference at the moment is that I am running the two sims on two PC's (XP on a newly built Win10 high end machine and PSX on an older WIn7 machine). I get everything to run (with some of the reported quirks of airplane orientation at startup) and nose diving issues (it seems to help to switch off the Boost Server to remedy that too).

What I really don't understand now is how to get the visual? I have both PC's connected to one screen and have to switch between the two. So, I get a screen in X-Plane (with the rather old XP-10 747) or I get a screen with PSX. But I can't get the outside view to show on the Win7 PC or the PSX Cockpit to show on the Win 10 PC. I seem to misunderstand the concept. I know you are running on one PC, so I assume you somehow overlay the two program screens. But shouldn't it also work with two PC's?

Any tip I would be thankful for.

Stay safe!
Alexander

thecrazedlog

Quote from: a_wassermann on Sat, 30 Jan 2021 09:31
Quote from: Hammerstan on Wed, 18 Nov 2020 10:46

Hi, I am a novice in X-Plane but a long time Flightsimmer (starting with the FS on a c64 some 40 years ago). Just restarted the hobby. I also commented on one of your YT channels as I am trying to replicate your setup. T

he difference at the moment is that I am running the two sims on two PC's (XP on a newly built Win10 high end machine and PSX on an older WIn7 machine). I get everything to run (with some of the reported quirks of airplane orientation at startup) and nose diving issues (it seems to help to switch off the Boost Server to remedy that too).

What I really don't understand now is how to get the visual? I have both PC's connected to one screen and have to switch between the two. So, I get a screen in X-Plane (with the rather old XP-10 747) or I get a screen with PSX. But I can't get the outside view to show on the Win7 PC or the PSX Cockpit to show on the Win 10 PC. I seem to misunderstand the concept. I know you are running on one PC, so I assume you somehow overlay the two program screens. But shouldn't it also work with two PC's?

Any tip I would be thankful for.

Stay safe!
Alexander

So just to confirm you have one monitor and two computers connected to that one monitor, and you wish to have the screen display output from both computers?

If this is the case, I'm afraid you have misunderstood things. If not, I've misunderstood things :P

If what I've written is correct, this won't work. With some certain exceptions that are of no concern here, a computer screen cannot display input from two sources at once. It is one or the other.

What the Xplane - PSX  connector does is takes information from PSX and instructs XPlane to position itself to mirror PSX. .

What you need to do is either:
- Get another monitor and have each computer going to its own monitor and break things up that way; or
- Run everything on one computer.

Your new Windows 10 machine, if it is "high spec" as you've said, would be more than powerful enough to run both. I ran XPlane11 and PSX on one computer without it breaking a sweat and that one is 4 or 5 years old.

What I suggest is you set up PSX to take up the bottom half of your screen and XPlane to take up the upper half. You can use a program called "Borderless gaming" to tell Xplane to run without a border around it.

Then on your other computer you can connect it to PSX across the network and get it to display the overhead, comms etc panels.

Anthony