News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Started by mikeindevon, Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:57

vnangli

Quote from: RogerH on Mon,  4 May 2020 14:09
>>>>>>>Update: Did a clean install of Xplane 11 and it now works - am guessing there was a plugin Vulkan didn;t like. Still a little unstable and sensitive to start order (seems to like XP11 started first then PSX), but making progress!<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Thanks for responding.

My RW weather and time were disabled anyway. I had PSX on 73fps but have now changed it to 60/2

No luck unfortunately.

I'll try running both on the same machine and see if that makes any difference.

Edit - nope - no difference. If anything slightly worse - less than one frame per second.

The effect is right across the computer - mouse moves incredibly slowly even if outside the X-plane window.

For info, if anyone can help|:

Windows 10 64bit
AMD FX8350 4ghz 8 core
32Gb RAM
Geforce GTX960

To get the best experience (FPS in Xplane 11) , I disabled my malware byte anti virus and windows defender. But I am not on internet during those times. I have a wifi router I use which is not connected to web but use only for PSX and Xplane purposes. Only downside with this is that you wont get ACARS functionality..

1) I fire up PSX first always
2) Start X PLANE 11, I load PSX 747 or SSG 747-8 (I know it is a -8 and not a -400) or Xplane's default 747-400
3) When the Xplane's aircraft is loaded, I will have to hit PAUSE in Xplane. Otherwise, the plane will be taking a nosedive.
4) I then go to Datarefs and override PLANEPATH dataref from "0" to "1".
5) Unpause Xplane 11..Bingo, I am all set flying at that point

- luckily with Xplane's default 747-400 Or SSG 747-8, Scenery generation is a breeze. Infact landing gears and flaps work fine. Only the lights are a problem

By the way, I have an Alienware Aurora R6 PC which is strictly used for flight simulation...And I barely run other Xplne airplanes..Only PSX. I hit FPS of 50-60 for a cockpit view.

Like to know others experience...
747 is not an airplane, it is a symbol of inspiration....

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

QuoteOnly downside with this is that you wont get ACARS functionality.

It is relatively straightforward to deploy a proxy server that should give you ACARS back. With the extra gear you already have, setting up a DMZ isn't so much work.

Hoppie

vnangli

Quote from: Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers on Mon,  4 May 2020 22:57
QuoteOnly downside with this is that you wont get ACARS functionality.

It is relatively straightforward to deploy a proxy server that should give you ACARS back. With the extra gear you already have, setting up a DMZ isn't so much work.

Hoppie

I have to learn what DMZ is and how to setup proxy server. Is there a forum link where I can visit, if it was discussed in the past...Thank you for this lead, I will explore more and report back.

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Not Forum so much, but out there is a lot of detail on these things. It's security stuff. Wikipedia has a lot on a demilitarized zone, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_(computing)

For proxy servers and other techniques, you can use the same resources.

Hoppie

vnangli

Cockpit blackout. Hypoxia??

Here is what I did.
1) Start AEROWINX PSX
2) Loaded the Xview PSX 747 in Xplane 11
3) In the Xplane 11 window, clicked "RELOAD CURRENT AIRCRAFT and ART", which is listed under DEVELOPER pull down menu
4) The blackout started slowly and became completely dark
5) AEROWINX PSX was running like a breeze, the aircraft was cruising at FL350. With no CAUTION or ALERTs in the AEROWINX PSX. Packs were all ON

I did some research and understood, the possible reason would depressurization and Hypoxia..And I dont know how to deal with that blackout situation in Xplane 11.

Till yesterday, I would load Xplane 11 after PSX. Override the DATAREFS for PLANEPATH in XPLane and run the simulator. Seems like this is not needed, as the Xview plugin should take care of controlling the PLANEPATH in Xplane 11. Its only needed to RELOAD THE AIRPLANE in XPlane. But the blackout situation arises...

Any thoughts?

cagarini

Shouldn't happen, if you are using the XView 747, and have inserted the plugin into it's plugins folder.

When lodaded the aircraft is not subject to that same effect that others may experience.

Strange indeed ?  Unless it's some quirk with one of the latest betas of XP11.50 ?

vnangli

:-\ :-\ :-\
Quote from: jcomm on Fri,  8 May 2020 18:18
Shouldn't happen, if you are using the XView 747, and have inserted the plugin into it's plugins folder.

When lodaded the aircraft is not subject to that same effect that others may experience.

Strange indeed ?  Unless it's some quirk with one of the latest betas of XP11.50 ?

This is where I have placed the Xview plugin :
X-Plane 11/Aircraft/Laminar research/Heavy Metal/Plugins/Xview

When I load (as you have mentioned) the airplane Xview 747 (in X-plane 11) it takes a nosedive (whilst the AEROWINX PSX is running fine). This I believe is because the AEROWINX PSX isnt yet driving the planepath. At that point, I have one or the other option. Either to pause (in Xplane 11), Overwrite the DATAREF for planepath or to RELOAD CURRENT AIRPLANE and ART (in X-plane 11) as I explained. If I reload, the blackout situation happens.

Also, I make sure the Xview 747 is the very first aircraft I load. So that there are no other plugin traces affecting .

cagarini

@vnangli,

either you didn't copy the correct path or if not then there's a good chance the problem resides in the fact that it lacks the aircraft folder.

I don't recall exactly how the psx 744 model is named, but let's assume it's name is exactly "psx744". Then in your path it should be there:

X-Plane 11/Aircraft/Laminar research/Heavy Metal/psx744/Plugins/Xview

vnangli

Quote from: jcomm on Fri,  8 May 2020 20:32
@vnangli,

X-Plane 11/Aircraft/Laminar research/Heavy Metal/psx744/Plugins/Xview

It was my mistake I missed including the PSX744 in the folder path I mentioned.

Xview plugin is infact in (I checked again just before I typed this reply) :X-Plane 11/Aircraft/Laminar research/Heavy Metal/PSX744/Plugins/Xview

cagarini

Let's try a new track then...

I remember XView uses a CFG file that will be in the root directory of XP11, and it's called something like xview.cfg

Inside that config file one of the first ( maybe exactly the first ) line have the PATH string into the folder where this config file resides. Make sure it has the correct full path string, for instance

SETTINGS PATH=""

should read instead:

SETTINGS PATH="D:\X-Plane 11"

if you had installed XP11 at the root of disk D:

Sometimes the string is void or has the incorrect full path.

vnangli

Quote from: jcomm on Fri,  8 May 2020 21:39
Let's try a new track then...

I remember XView uses a CFG file that will be in the root directory of XP11, and it's called something like xview.cfg

Inside that config file one of the first ( maybe exactly the first ) line have the PATH string into the folder where this config file resides. Make sure it has the correct full path string, for instance

SETTINGS PATH=""

should read instead:

SETTINGS PATH="D:\X-Plane 11"

if you had installed XP11 at the root of disk D:

Sometimes the string is void or has the incorrect full path.

Reporting back. I thank you sincerely for your time to fix this situation.

I checked the Xview.cfg. Found it in the Xplane 11 folder, along with Xplane11.exe

As you suspected, SETTINGS was blank (" ").
I updated it to read "C:\Users\vnang\desktop". I have installed the Xplane 11 on my desktop and my username for the computer is "vnang". Saved the Xview.cfg file
Went back to restart Xplane 11, and loaded Xview 747 immediately after a restart. It was nosediving.
Black out started once I selected to RELOAD CURRENT AIRCRAFT and ART. I quit Xplane-11 and went back to reopen the Xview.cfg file, the SETTINGS had gone back to blank (" ")

I checked my folder access and controls, the Xplane 11 folder has been excluded from the CONTROLLED FOLDER  controls.

cagarini

Quote from: vnangli on Fri,  8 May 2020 22:05

Reporting back. I thank you sincerely for your time to fix this situation.

I checked the Xview.cfg. Found it in the Xplane 11 folder, along with Xplane11.exe

As you suspected, SETTINGS was blank (" ").
I updated it to read "C:/Users/vnang/desktop"

The name of the X-Plane folder is still missing in that string vnang...

Admiting it is the default "X-plane 11", then the string should read:

"C:/Users/vnang/desktop/X-Plane 11"

And if possible please use the forward slash instead ... just in case ...

vnangli

Tried it again,
1) In Xview.cfg, plugged in "C:\Users\vnang\desktop\X-plane 11" for SETTINGS which was blank in Xview.cfg
2) Saved Xview.cfg
3) Started X-Plane 11, Loaded Xview 747 while AEROWINX PSX was already running
4) The plane took a nosedive, I RELOADED AIRCRAFT and ART (DEVELOPER pull down menu). Black out started. At that point I reopened the Xview.cfg. The SETTINGS had gone back to " ". It was confirmed by the date stamp, it had a time which matched with my "RELOAD...."

Any thoughts on why Xview.cfg would be resetting back? Does this give you any clue.

cagarini

You can try to:

1) Set the file permissions in Windows, for read-only, by right clicking on the "xview.conf" after altering it and setting the proper path, without XP11 or PSX running,  and then under "Properties" marking Read-only in Attributes.

2) Or... after loading PSX and making sure the Boost server is running, use the plugins menu, Xview and set your options through there just to check if it works...

After getting it to work there are yet two other typical quirks:

- forgetting to set the weather and time in X-plane to manually set, if you choose to set ( animate ) under weather and time in XView.cfg.

vnangli

Quote from: jcomm on Fri,  8 May 2020 22:53
You can try to:

1) Set the file permissions in Windows, for read-only, by right clicking on the "xview.conf" after altering it and setting the proper path, without XP11 or PSX running,  and then under "Properties" marking Read-only in Attributes.

2) Or... after loading PSX and making sure the Boost server is running, use the plugins menu, Xview and set your options through there just to check if it works...

After getting it to work there are yet two other typical quirks:

- forgetting to set the weather and time in X-plane to manually set, if you choose to set ( animate ) under weather and time in XView.cfg.

Okay, I updated the Xview.cfg and SETTINGS to capture/list the Xplane root directory location. This is also where I have placed the Xview.cfg. Then turned the Xview.cfg into a READ ONLY file. Fresh started the AEROWINX and Xplane 11 and in the same order.
When the Xview 747 was loaded, it started nosediving again. At that point, When I "RELOAD.." the aircraft in Xplane 11. Plane becomes stable and starts to cruising, however within cockpit black out returns. What seems to working is that the Xview is driving the planepath for Xview 747 in Xplane 11 after "RELOAD". But, blackout? I checked for weather and time in the Plugin. They are checked and are being driven by PSX.

Now, here is what I have found to work
Start PSX
Start Xplane and load Xview 747, momentarily pause in Xplane 11 only to update the DATAREF OVERRIDE_PLANEPATH to "1". I go and unpause Xplane 11. Things are working absolutely fine

What I am trying to achieve is to "Not Update the DATAREF" everytime.

Hey, I am really thankful for your patience....I am sure, there is something that I am doing wrong and may not have explained well...

cagarini

I'm glad that at least it now works, but I never had to get into such a "mess" to get it working, well... Hmmmm... although NOW I do recall the last time I installed X-Plane 11, and it was already in 11.50 b2 if I'm not wrong, I did experience a similar situation, although not the "hypoxia" because I always started from the "ready for takeoff" situ which I usually modify to start from my Base of Operations ( either LPPT or LPMT :-) ).

I recall that at some time what fixed it was temporarily moving the XView plugin to the main X-plane Plugins folder, and that is how it was initially designed to work but prevents us from using other aircraft with X-Plane because once we load the sim  XView becomes the "active mode of flying"...

But I never had to edit a Dataref, and I didn't actually know about that one ?  Seems to correspond to the option "ExternalSim" in P3D...

Can you please paste here the contents of your Xview.cfg as it looks now?

I also recall having deleted the LOG files XView had created in the root folder of X-Plane 11.

Also REALLY make sure you load the correct 744 - "PSX Plane ?" - from the X-Plane 11 aircraft menu. I did load the default XP11 744 a few times, tricked by it's icon :-/

Thank you

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: vnangli on Fri,  8 May 2020 15:37
Here is what I did.
1) Start AEROWINX PSX

When you run a scenery generator, starting PSX is not the only requirement. You also need to start the main and boost servers in your PSX.

Regards,

|-|ardy

vnangli

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin on Sat,  9 May 2020 14:53
Quote from: vnangli on Fri,  8 May 2020 15:37
Here is what I did.
1) Start AEROWINX PSX

When you run a scenery generator, starting PSX is not the only requirement. You also need to start the main and boost servers in your PSX.

Regards,

|-|ardy

Yes, I have been checking that...And that part seems to be working perfectly. I believe what I am facing as BLACKOUT on RELOAD is something that has to do with the Datarefs within the Xplane 11 world. Even after the blackout, when I go to the external view (in Xplane 11) the plane is perfectly cruising...Add to that, I go to map view (again in Xplane 11) the locations are matching up with PSX and Xplane 11...Only the cockpit is blacked out.

cagarini

@vnangli,

please post your XView.cfg

vnangli

Quote from: jcomm on Sat,  9 May 2020 08:26

Can you please paste here the contents of your Xview.cfg as it looks now?

I also recall having deleted the LOG files XView had created in the root folder of X-Plane 11.

Also REALLY make sure you load the correct 744 - "PSX Plane ?" - from the X-Plane 11 aircraft menu. I did load the default XP11 744 a few times, tricked by it's icon :-/

Thank you

Here is my cfg content...

HEADER = "XView Configuration File Fri May  8 17:27:05 2020"
SETTINGS_PATH = "C:\Users\vnang\Desktop\X-Plane 11\"
BOOST_ADDRESS = "10.0.1.39 : 10749"   ; IP address
MAIN_ADDRESS  = "10.0.1.39 : 10747"   ; IP address
RELAY_ADDRESS = "127.0.0.1 : 10740"   ; IP address
RELAY_BOOST_DATA = FALSE    ; Set to true if XView relays boost data
SMOOTH_TRAJECTORY = FALSE   ; Extrapolate between PSX updates (default: FALSE)
DO_ANIMATIONS = TRUE       ; Animate external parts, eg gear, etc(default: TRUE)
DO_LIGHTS = TRUE           ; Animate lights (default: TRUE)
DO_WEATHER = TRUE          ; Set true if PSX sets X-Plane weather
DO_COMMS = TRUE            ; Set true if PSX  sets X-Plane comms
DO_TIME = TRUE             ; Set true if PSX sets X-Plane time
SIDE_VIEWS = FALSE          ; Set TRUE to allow PSX to set X-Plane view angle
USE_BOOST_SERVER = TRUE    ; Set to TRUE to use Boost server - the normal setting
PSX_TRAFFIC = 3         ; Set to the number of traffic planes you want driven by PSX (max 7)
USE_PSX_TRAFFIC = FALSE     ; Set true if PSX drives the traffic aircraft
USE_XP_TRAFFIC =  FALSE     ; Set true if XP drives the traffic aircraft
INJECT_ELEVATION = TRUE    ; Set to true to send scenery elevation to Main server

Yes, I have been loading Xview 747 only.. and not the Xplane 11 default 747. However see my findings below and let me know your thoughts.

Here are some other interesting trials I did :
1) Place the Xview plugin in Plugins folder within the aircraft folder (and not at the C:\Users\vnang\Desktop\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins) for "Xplane 11 Default 747" and "SSG Intercontinental 747-8"
2) When PSX is running, the scenery generation with Xplane 11's default 747 and SSG 747-8 is a breeze. Yes, I will still have to pause when the aircraft loads, over write the DATAREF and unpause. So that the aircraft doesnt nosedive when loaded...All the while when I do the pause and all that stuff, PSX is running smoothly
3) With the step 1 and 2 listed above, Xplane 11's Default 747's landing gear, flaps and all those functionalities work fine (I mean, I control all those in AEROWINX's PSX and Xplane responds to those commands) . I believe its only the lights part which doesnt work, specially the NAV LIGHTS and STROBE LIGHTS
4) With SSG Intercontinental, landing gears, spoilers, flaps all work fine (when driven from AEROWINX). Main landing lights do work, but only flash for a second. So there is some tweaking required on the SSG's datarefs I believe. The only reason I like to use SSG is due to the variety of liveries available...I like taking some screenshots and use it as my wallpaper...

Overall, I would be moving the Xview plugin to the main Xplane 11 directory. As I dont use any of the airplanes at all. Xplane is being exclusively to serve PSX...So, I would have no complaints.

Hey, this has been an excellent conversation...Sorry, my reply was a little long..But would like to hear more from your explorations...
Take care