News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + X-Plane for scenery

Started by mikeindevon, Tue, 8 Jul 2014 18:57

cagarini

When referring to either P3D or X-Plane as "scenery browsers" for PSX, I believe XP can do a better job, for less money, given the very acceptable default database of airports all around the World, specially with their slopped runways and taxyways if you enable "runway follows terrain contours!"....

Weather depiction though looks better for me in FSX / P3D, and that's an important feature too.

And there's also two other aspects, at least, P3D does better - The Moon and a much more precise daylight depiction according to date and place on Earth...

But that's all history for me :-)

G-CIVA

Its a horses for courses choice.

I am a p3D user ... but very interested in what X-Plane has to offer.  Once my scenery generator has had a major hardware upgrade I might take the plunge.
Steve Bell
aka The CC

cagarini

One day Hardy will announce:  Moon & Sun for PSX...
And RLS update !

GodAtum

IMO i don't mind which sim i use ... but XP11 runs at a smooth 60 fps for me, while P3D anywhere between 20-35.

Swiso

I have tried both and I like more X-plane....it run smoother than P3D, it has slopes runways, it has a big community that provide tons of lovely free add-ons...
With the Vulkan engine development, X-plane will be the first sim to fully utilize the many CPU cores of your Pc's...
Don't know yet if already implemented (even in part) on 11.30...

Toga

I'm failing to read the bit where it explains its run on P3D software. If you think militaries are getting their guys in the default F16 on P3D and running training scenarios, you are mistaken.

G-CIVA

Quote from: Toga on Fri, 22 Feb 2019 12:59
I'm failing to read the bit where it explains its run on P3D software. If you think militaries are getting their guys in the default F16 on P3D and running training scenarios, you are mistaken.

I did not say that.

Please do not attempt to misquote or patronise me.

Clearly flight simulators for real world aircraft - whether military or civilian utilise much more complex & hi fidelity graphical software programmes to enable visual simulation than a software programme like p3D.  LM are one of several companies who are producers of such hi fidelity software.

Lockheed Martin do not just build military aircraft, military flight simulators or civilian flight simulation software.

I was simply illustrating the point that the product that is sold to the civilian market place for flight simulation - called p3D - is part of a larger product range available to Armed Forces around the globe that enables them to train in a simulated environment before going out into the field to exercise in real time on the equipment that they will operate when they fight.

The opportunity to train in such a simulated environment allows large combined arms military formations to conduct complicated mission scenarios in a simulated land environment without the huge cost impact of vehicle maintenance, ammunition expenditure & fuel costs amongst a myriad of other expense.

Indeed it is fortunate that LM decided to take Microsoft's Flight Simulation 10 & use that as the basis of one of their military simulation environments since the spin off for flight simulation enthusiasts has been a completely redesigned Flight Simulation software programme which continues to receive technical support from LM.

Regards

Steve Bell
aka The CC

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

(caveat: I have NOTHING to do with L-M or any of the mil stuff, I'm 100% civillian)

In many cases nowadays, the part of "you in the system" is at least as difficult to get right as "you in the airplane". It definitely makes a lot of sense to use a herd of small, simple sims that assume the "you in the airplane" part is already firmly present in a pilot's brain, to get him/her quickly in a piece of virtual airspace, and then focus on "you in the system."

Imagine doing your first all-out confrontation with KNYC ATC in a simplified aircraft instead of in a full level-6 sim. You will be very grateful. The L-M derivatives may function as the same simplified aircraft: it does vly enough to make you move your blip around the virtual airspace, but the real purpose of the training is to get your brain to become part of the system, and to get the system to experience more realistic scenarios than just simulated blips driven by robots.

I know for a fact that Dutch ATC has trainers for the controllers that can run either prerecorded scenarios, or bots, or a mix, or add simulators to the mix with real pilots vlying the blips. The word blip driver was used for this kind of operation. One pilot can drive several blips -- and I can imagine using a P3D derivative for this, which probably is cheaper than any home-brew option.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that P3D-derivatives are useful to play back recorded flights of fighter jets to have a cheap all-points-of-view display.

Hoppie

speedbird965

Hi guys!

I just purchased X-Plane 11 as a scenery-generator for PSX. Everything is working perfect so far. I'm using both progys on one PC. Unfortunately there seems to be one issue with the windows size of XP. Even in the windowed mode it is too big for running both simulators on one screen. How did you set XP up work together with PSX?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Peter 

Swiso

Hello Peter,
I usually set XP 11 on top half of screen and PSX the bottom half...
When you start XP 11, when you see the main menu, just re-size the window dimension of that program to the top half of the screen.
Then start PSX and re-size the some soon of PSX to the bottom half.... basically I see only the PFD a d MCP on PSX.
I'll take some pictures and post it here....

speedbird965

Hi Swiso!

Thank you so much, this is a great idea. Unfortunately my XP-window uses around 75% of the upper half of my monitor. And I can't shrink it anymore. So there is not much place left for PSX.  :o

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi2rvskequwrd2b/Bild1.png?dl=0

Never had such a strange behaviour of any progy before.

Swiso

Hi Peter,
Strange...are you sure that you run XP11 in windowed mode ?
How big is your display?
Mine is a 30 inch 2560x1600....and I have no problem setting these two programs on my display.
Try with mouse to re-size the window of XP11...
If don't work, I guess best bet is to ask for help here :
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/

speedbird965

Hi Swiso!

My monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

I tried to resize the XP window with the mouse, but it doesnt work.

I will ask the guys from XPlane!

Many thanks again for your kind help!

Cheers,

Peter

Swiso

No problem mate !
Let us know if you find a way.
All the best.

cagarini

Confirmed that indeed it was never possible to resize the window of XP10 / 11 to, say, half screen... Instead I had to make the PSX window, in one of the layouts, small enough to fit the bottom of the screen bellow it...

speedbird965

Hi jcomm!

Quote from: jcomm on Sun,  3 Mar 2019 13:33
Confirmed that indeed it was never possible to resize the window of XP10 / 11 to, say, half screen... Instead I had to make the PSX window, in one of the layouts, small enough to fit the bottom of the screen bellow it...

Thank you very much, that helps indeed  8)

Cheers,

Peter

Gauthier

Hello everyone,

I cannot connect to ftp server of 1st page of the thread, receiving failed login.

Is it still possible to get xview and try it with the demo version of Xplane 11?
Thank you.
G

Swiso

Quote from: Gauthier on Tue,  5 Mar 2019 00:56
Hello everyone,

I cannot connect to ftp server of 1st page of the thread, receiving failed login.

Is it still possible to get xview and try it with the demo version of Xplane 11?
Thank you.
G

Hi, check post #535 at page 27.... there is a link where you can download it.

Gauthier

Thank you very much.
Success to download!

I'm going to try today and will report.
G