News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Full HD IPS Display

Started by 744kid, Sun, 29 Jun 2014 08:52

744kid

I know that Retina displays are no good for PSX. What about a Full HD IPS display? Should that run OK? I'm still looking at laptops and this might be an option.

Thanks.

744kid

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

As far as I know, Retina displays are not technically different from any other modern TFT/IPS LCD, but the term "Retina display"  is used by Apple "for screens that have a pixel density high enough that the human eye is unable to discern individual pixels at a typical viewing distance" Wikipedia.

This implies that it is not the display technology that breaks PSX, but the Apple implementation of the pixel rendering required to keep display objects at the same size despite the increased pixel per inch ratio. This is purely a video card driver issue (where I don't want to make a fuzz about whether it is technically the video card driver or the GUI widget renderer that generates the extra pixels).

Hence, as long as your video card driver does not fundamentally alter the rendering algorithm in order to drive a higher-density display, you should be fine. Just more pixels is okay, as long as they are generated in the same fashion as before.

Many current video card drivers have a setting to adjust the DPI/PPI ratio. The PSX Instructor Frame is the only PSX frame that is not zoomable, so if you want the Instructor Frame to be at a certain physical size for readability, this is what shall drive your display's DPI/PPI setting. The rest is DPI/PPI-independent. Note that the Instructor Frame can be resized, but this is not the same as zooming it.

Basically, if you can still read the menus and title bars of whatever window frame you see on your machine, you have a workable system and PSX will run just fine.

Hoppie

Phil Bunch

This thread caused me to think about specs for PSX display pixel matrix size and physical dimensions if one wished to (1) use it for everything that PSX displays including both scenery and instruments, or (2) only use the PSX-optimized display for non-scenery purposes.  I think it's the optimal physical size and pixel matrix dimensions that are not so obvious to me.   If one has an advanced home cockpit, these issues would seemingly be dictated by the space available in the relevant cockpit areas.  

Various large matrix size and/or large physical size monitors are available, mostly used for professional photography purposes.  They may have a much wider color space, such as the Adobe RGB color space rather than the sRGB that is commonly used in consumer products.  

Below are links to a few examples of higher-resolution, wider color gamut monitors:

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa302w

http://www.nec-display-solutions.com/p/eeme/en/products/details/rp/EA244UHD.xhtml

http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recommended/displayNEC-PA302W.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=NEC+PA272W&N=0&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&srtclk=sort
------------------------------------

Would a wider color gamut such as Adobe RGB display Hardy's PSX artistry with greater fidelity than sRGB or is this even relevant to PSX?  Would such a monitor more  accurately display PSX or FSX or P3D or Xplane scenery?
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

744kid

Thanks, Hoppie. Reluctant as I am to move from an OS X laptop to Windows, I'm now looking at a laptop with the following specs:

Screen size - 15.6 in - 1920 x 1080
Processor - Intel Core i7 4710HQ - 2.5 GHz
RAM - 8 GB
Operating System - Windows 8.1 (64-Bit)
Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
Graphics Memory - GDDR5

Whether the video card driver alters the rendering algorithm is unclear to me. I need to do more research  :?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

The rendering issue currently only appears on Apple products using Retina displays. Everything else seems to run just fine with PSX. And if/when Apple fixes their rendering and/or their Java implementation, the problem will be gone; it is not a performance issue per se.

Hoppie

farrokh747