News:

Precision Simulator update 10.175 (29 May 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

VisualPSX Suite released

Started by Garry Richards, Thu, 26 Jun 2014 01:24

Garry Richards

Yes. It's explained in the manual.
Garry

GodAtum

A freeware 747 like this might be useful for people to enable better lighting.

ahaka

It says on the website that VisualPSX is found to be working with P3D as well. Does this mean it works in v2 as well or only in version 1.x ?
Antti

Garry Richards

I don't think anyone has tested VisualPSX with Prepar3d v2 yet.
Garry

jb747

Actually it works fine.  I loaded it up when I first went to V2

Cheers,

Jon

jalexb88

Looking great! How will it compare to VisualPS1 with regards to smoothness? Secondly, will the MSFS engine sound be synced up to the PSX throttles?

Alex

Garry Richards

Quote from: jalexb88Looking great! How will it compare to VisualPS1 with regards to smoothness? Secondly, will the MSFS engine sound be synced up to the PSX throttles?
Hi Alex.

VisualPSX is noticeably smoother than VisualPS1 for FS9 and of course heaps smoother than VisualPS1 for FSX which has known bugs that cause jittering.

MSFS throttle levers follow PSX levers for those who want to use FSX engine sounds. I suspect that most users will prefer to use PSX engine and environment sounds instead as they are much better than the PS1 sounds were. Individual PSX sounds instances can also be directed to separate amplifiers and channels for users with complex requirements to provide a very immersive sound field.

[Edited after John's correction.]
Garry

John Golin

Quote from: Garry RichardsIndividual PSX sounds can also be directed to separate amplifiers and channels for users with complex requirements to provide a very immersive sound field.

Slight correction there - each instance of PSX will output all selected sounds to the one OS default audio device.

By running multiple instances of PSX, and selecting which sounds to output for each instance, you can distribute sounds individually to different speakers.

VisualPSX is nice and smooth - and it's fun to fly on VATSIM with full transponder, radio, and traffic integration via vPilot / Squawkbox!
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

ahaka

I have been testing my setup now with a software called Wideview for FSX. With this software it is rather challenging to achieve the same smoothness as without running over a network.

So, I can achieve the same butter smoothness in FSX that PSX has, but when I start running two copies over network, the smoothness is more difficult to achieve.

So hopefully VisualPSX is performing better than that.

It would be really nice to see someone post a video of it in action. ;)
Antti

eurowing

hi, as an old time PS1 user (yeah i never upraged to 1.3 ;) ) i am very excited to hear about the upcoming PSX.

being very impressed about the beautiful instruments and panels, i was imagining how cool it would be to have PSX with the outside visuals of FSX. only to find out that there will be a way to integrate FSX with PSX with your great software, Garry!

i must say i am very excited about all this!!! :)
Denis

John Golin

For me, there is no difference in using VisualPSX from standalone MSFS.... if anything, it may be slightly better because I don't need to load up a complex aircraft model and systems, I just use a basic, simple aircraft model.
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

ScudRunner

A question regarding FSX behaviour when being `controlled' by VisualPSX...

Do you see any noticeable improvement in the performance of FSX (eg higher frame rates)?  

I wondered if (a) having all the information regarding position, speed, alt, track etc etc constantly supplied to it from PSX -> VisPSX -> Simconnect reduces the processing load for the FSX simulation engine or (b) FSX simply continue to do all it's own calculations as if running on it's own, but these results are then continually being overwritten by the data coming in from VisPSX (and therefore there is no net efficiency gained)?

I assume (b) is the case??

cheers
Scud  8)

Garry Richards

Hi Scud,

(a) is correct. The FSX aerodynamics engine is disabled by VisualPSX. The FSX aircraft being controlled then becomes just another graphics object with no virtual mass. Turning off the aerodynamics engine has no effect on frame rates that I can see because graphics processing consumes most of the FSX resources.

It's fun to use the PSX instructor's altitude slider to quickly change altitude from ground level to FL400. Under VisualPSX the FSX aircraft copies PSX effortlessly and instantly.

After so many years of PSX development it seems strange to think it will soon be released and quite satisfying to know that there are several high quality addons ready to go or nearing the end of development. Although PSX testing is finished, beta team members are still testing, debugging and further developing addons. Hardy showed great forethought in having addon developers in the alpha and beta teams, which can only be to the benefit of the vestigial PSX owners community.

Cheers,
Garry

ScudRunner

thanks for that Garry. Very interesting. Of course, I forgot that the image rendering is where the real processing load for PSX occurs. I have been blown away by the selfless work people like yourself have undertaken in augmenting Hardy's creation.

I'm showing my age, but for someone who still has a copy of the original Sublogic A2-FS1 manual sitting on my shelf, to see what can now be achieved with desktop flight simulators is just astounding.

cheers
Scud.

LawyerPilot

Hello everyone. First post from a long time lurker.

I'm a proud owner of PS1.3 and just recently pre-ordered PSX. I'm quite excited--obviously.

Having read this and the Xview thread, I believe the answer is "no", but I'd just like to confirm:  Is there any way to run PSX on a Mac with output (either through VisualPSX or Xview) to FSX or XP10 on a PC?
Trevor

FAA CPL MEIR

Hardy Heinlin

Welcome, Trevor.

You can run an add-on on the add-on specific platform -- while running PSX on any platform that supports Java (Mac, MS, Linux ...).

The Mac (PSX) connects to the PC (scenery generator add-on) via Ethernet cables.

So the answer is: yes.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Pierre Theillere

Hi Trevor "LawyerPilot"!

As PSx is fully multi-platform (Windows, Mc OSX, Linux), it behaves exactly the same... so the answer to your question is: YES! It's exactly that setup I've been running fine for years now!
[edit: Hardy was faster to reply!]
Pierre, LFPG

LawyerPilot

Excellent! Thanks, Hardy and Pierre.

Now, time to go shopping for a MacBook...
Trevor

FAA CPL MEIR

GodAtum

Hi, just testing atm.

I have been following the manual. Unfortunately VisualPSX is unable to connect to FSX running on the same PC. In the manual, for simconnect.xml and simconnect.cfg, do I need to change the port to 10747?

Garry Richards

Quote from: GodAtumHi, just testing atm.

I have been following the manual. Unfortunately VisualPSX is unable to connect to FSX running on the same PC. In the manual, for simconnect.xml and simconnect.cfg, do I need to change the port to 10747?
No. The port number in those files is unrelated to PSX. Be sure to follow all the steps in the manual in the correct order (you may have overlooked a step). VisualPSX should then connect to FSX when you have reached the end of page 9.
Garry