News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Which Yoke

Started by Jeroen D, Wed, 25 Jun 2014 06:20

Jeroen D

In anticipation of the upcoming release of PSX I've started looking into a few things I want to have. I used to run PS1 on a Windows based computer, and in those day I had a nice yoke and rudder set up as well. Not sure what happened to it, but I seem to recall I left/sold it all when we were in the USA.

So I want a new yoke and rudder.

These days I run a Mac Book Pro and I understand PSX will run fine on it.

But how does it work with the add ons like Yokes. I will in the Netherlands end of August, so I'll probably stop by at the Luchtvaart Hobby Shop and try and get a yoke/rudder combinations.

When I look at this one: http://www.aviationmegastore.com/pz44-pro-flight-yoke-system--yoke--throttle---0021165106994-saitek-0021165106994-joystickspedals/product/?shopid=LM53aa5994541ce649be2871a20f&action=prodinfo&parent_id=&art=73021

I get the impression it will work on Windows only? How is that, dont yoke work with a Mac at all, or you need something different?

Thanks

Jeroen

John Golin

My understanding from a Google search is yes they will work with a Mac.

Most modern hardware uses generic Human Interface USB drivers (e.g. mouse, keyboard etc) so they can work across OS's.

Some specific software (e.g. maybe storing custom configurations or such) may by operating system specific and may not work - e.g.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/supp/yokefsx3.html

(different product, but explains the principle)
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

frumpy

I used to have the Saitek system for a while. Big bunch of
plastic, it takes a lot of space on the desk and it does
not feel sturdy. I sticked to my joystick, Logitech Extreme 3D.

If I would go for a yoke, try Precision Flight Controls
(or the Elite Yoke, you might find one on ebay, if you're lucky).
I think Iris Dynamics is developing a very good yoke too,
it even has very solid force feedback.

stekeller

I have CH Products yoke, pedals, and throttles. Works fine with my MacBook Pro.

GodAtum

The only 747 yoke I have found is from ACE but they have had very bad reviews.

Precision Flight Controls jetliner yoke looks good but not really a 747 one.

Jeroen D

thanks everybody
Jeroen

Hardy Heinlin

I, for one, can't fly with those (horizontally) long plastic yokes which occupy the whole desk. One has to put the monitor on top of the yoke box, and that is too high; it's like sitting on the cockpit floor, or like being 3 years old and standing on the clockpit floor. So one has to put the monitor half a meter behind the yoke box, and the seat half a meter in front of the yoke, so that one can move the yoke. One meter in total. And this position feels like sitting on the jump seat behind the captain; and, to see the instruments, I would need binoculars.

On top of that problem, the electric null zone of these plastic yokes usually range from -45° to 45°. And the maximum electric deflection is at 70°. It's like a left-right switch. This works for me only if the aircraft is a heavy aircraft with a great inertia :-)

|-|

Christo van der Loo

Hi guys!

On the yoke topic....

Bearing in my mind what Hardy just mentioned.

What's your thougts on the Go Flight Pro Yoke System?

Reviews don't seem to bad only that it is a bit pricy.

Cheers
Chris

Phil Bunch

Considering the things Hardy describes, which I've also experienced and which I also dislike:

Perhaps one semi-viable "Plan B" is to use an Airbus-style small but high-precision and low-noise joystick.  It may not be necessary to depend on pure electrical resistance to monitor yoke or joystick position - perhaps a magnetic field based device would be much more stable and less noisy?   This is just a zero-order suggestion or thought, with no convincing details.

Just a suggestion.  Perhaps such a device already exists? It's hard to believe that after some 20 or so years of flight simulation there is no high-quality joystick or small yoke.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Will

Even though the Boeing uses a yoke, I've been flying with a Saitek joystick. I'll just add that the yoke/joystick question isn't terribly relevant to the flying experience, although it is much more meaningful for people who are constructing hardware simulators, of course.

What I mean is that PSX is easily controlled from all kinds of devices, so your selection should be as much about personal preference and price as about realism. You see this in real airplanes, too: moving from the left seat to the right, or from one plane to another, is only noteworthy the first time you do it. After that, switching controls and layouts becomes fairly trivial.

So people who are replicating a 744 cockpit at home should look for a Boeing yoke. But for people who just want to fly, it's perfectly fine to just get whatever kind of controller fits easily in your hand.
Will /Chicago /USA

John Golin

I have the Saitek yoke and pedals - yes you need to configure your desk layout around them, but it's not THAT big of a deal.  

Don't listen to the haters... :P As will said, it's more about what works for you...
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au