News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

747-400 reading suggestion

Started by Matt Sheil, Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:34

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Note that Mike Ray's books are primarily to help real pilots pass their check rides. They focus on "gotcha" items that are sometimes less important on the line but make you look real good to check captains.

Tips such as, "When you walk towards the aircraft, point the check captain at the top of the flight deck, and mention to him that this is the best position to spot an open escape hatch."

Hoppie

GodAtum

Sorry for the stupid questions but is the print and download versions the same as they have different titles?

Keith Maton

Another book worth looking at is one that I bought when I was previously flying PS1/PS1.3 - The Big Boeing FMC Guide: http://www.cockpitcompanion.com/servlet/the-12/BIG-BOEING-FMC-GUIDE/Detail

/edit - Apologies, I see this book has already been mentioned above, I missed it when I scanned through the thread.

Kurt

Quote from: GodAtumSorry for the stupid questions but is the print and download versions the same as they have different titles?

Think so, - difference is that the PDF is in color. I bought the book and got the PDF free as a service :)

BR

Kurt
Best regards
Kurt

brian747

As the August launch approaches, I too have been reviewing my support library so as to be ready for the great event. So here, for what they're worth, are a few additional comments on what has been said already, and a reminder of some older possibilities.

In view of Hardy's excellent (and beautiful) documentation, I suppose little of what follows could be said to be *essential*, but then we wouldn't be interested in Precision Simulator if we weren't fairly obsessed with getting the details right   :mrgreen: , so.....

Already mentioned above:

Mike Ray's 747 Training Manual (i.e. the "747-400 Pilot Handbook"). Be aware, incidentally, that if you buy the cheaper "Download Version" it's protected to disallow printing.
And just to add my voice to the above chorus, Mike is indeed a gentleman. After reviewing the above book for PC Pilot magazine in 2005, I recall being pleasantly surprised to receive a courteous note of thanks from him — not something which happens often to a reviewer, believe me.
The book is excellent, although occasional Americanisms can be puzzling to an Englishman (does anyone know what he means by a "gouge", in that context? Is it something akin to a mnemonic?).

Bulfer & Gifford's "Big Boeing FMC User's Guide"
Simply the indispensable guide to the FMC (or operation of the CDU, if you prefer): I don't need it often these days, but when I do it always has the answer.

AOMs, FCOMs, QRHs, FCTMs, &c.
These are available from various sources on the net: obviously when using PSX it would helpful if you could find the ones most appropriate for the carrier/model which you will fly most often, as Hoppie has already so helpfully remarked.

"Handling the Big Jets" by David P Davies
This book is great if you would like to understand the more technical aspects, including various significant aerodynamic concepts such as the super-stall —
"There is no point in discussing the irrecoverable case any further, except perhaps to say that those aeroplanes which have been lost in such manoeuvres finally reached the ground substantially level laterally, having defied all efforts to roll or spin them out of the stabilised condition; only slightly nose down in pitch, with little or no forward speed; at an extremely high incidence; rotating only very slowly in yaw; with (in one case) all the engines flamed out because of being exposed to such massive angles of incidence; and finally with an enormous vertical velocity".
 (pp 122,123 — the awestruck emphasis on the last words is mine).
Be sure to try and get the third edition, though, since that deals specifically with the 744 (I've just checked, and Amazon.co.uk allegedly have six in stock at present - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handling-Big-Jets-D-P-Davies/dp/0903083019/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405940380&sr=1-1&keywords=handling+the+big+jets ).

(Incidentally, don't confuse this book with Stanley Stewart's "Flying the Big Jets", which is a more basic treatise altogether).

There are, of course, various videos available which may also be helpful: do check the resolution before buying, however, since some of them may be fairly old, and hence fuzzy by today's standards, although still informative and useful. As for YouTube vids, well let's just say that some are obviously made by pilots, whilst others....    :roll:

Aerowinx books:

The original PS1.3 manual (v1.3, (c) 1995, 2000 by Hardy Heinlin)
OK, this will inevitably be largely superseded by the PSX version, but I still like to know that it's on my shelf.

Hardy's "teaser" - the "PSX Aerowinx Operations Manual - Preview" ( http://aerowinx.com/downloads/Aerowinx%20Operations%20Manual%20-%20Preview.pdf )
There's lots in there for us to study prior to the release, although inevitably some of it won't make complete sense until we have the software installed.

Vintage stuff:

Finally, two blasts from the past, which will be known to the previous generation of Precision Simmers, although please don't forget that both of these are password-protected to the original PS1.3 manual:-

PIPS a.k.a. "A Pilot's Introduction to Flying the Boeing 747-400 with AEROWINX® Precision Simulator (PS1) V1.3a" (c) Richard McDonald Woods, February 2003 (333 pages, incl. nine appendices). This also contains some great quotes from posts on the old PS1.3 forum.  (Ah, nostalgia...).

and

"The Big Tutorial" (c) me, final version 1.02, August 2001 (171 pages, incl. 16 appendices and index - including contributions from Hoppie, IanR, Adrian Smith, Rets, and of course Hardy himself.

So all in all, there's certainly plenty of stuff to keep us busy whilst we await the release!   :D

Cheers,

Brian

[Edited to remove typo]
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

400guy

You ask:

The book is excellent, although occasional Americanisms can be puzzling to an Englishman (does anyone know what he means by a "gouge",

I'm not sure of his context, but that term is sometimes used to refer to a "cheat sheet", or a way to obtain the answers to a question, usually on a test.

brian747

Ah, that would certainly fit: thank you.   :)

Cheers,

Brian
(Author of "The Big Tutorial" for PS1, and "Getting started with PSX" Parts 1, 2, and 3).

Roddez

Quote from: GodAtumAnyone got the CAE Oxford Aviation JAA/EASA ATPL Training Manuals?

No, but I do have the Australian and New Zealand equivalent.
Rodney Redwin
YSSY
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

jtsjc1

The Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Manual is also excellent reading. I got a like new copy on ebay for a very good price a couple years ago.  I've posted it before but get the Big Boeing FMC manual if you can its worth every penny.
Joe

phil747fan

Quote from: Jeroen D
Quote from: FlygenringHi.

This is a question to any of you who might have 747-400 FOM's and Bill Bulfers Big Boeing FMC guide.

Is it nescessary still to get Mike's handbooks mentioned above?

Thanks

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Depends I guess on what you want. If you just want to fly this thing and quickly built up some knowledge you could do without. I do have a somewhat different opinion/thoughts as well.

I have a whole bunch of 747-400 AOMs, from Boeing and from various carriers. And as many training manuals from as many different sources. I also own Bulfers guide and I have an original Honeywell FMC manual as well. And I have several of Mike's manuals.

Interestingly enough all these different Boeing Manuals do differ, whilst still describing the same plane. I'm not just talking about real different options that might exists between models as operated by different carriers. The same topic is described differently. Even the check list have some differences.

Personally I enjoy comparing all these differences. Not necessary, probably more nerdy and anal than anything else. But part of my interest in this plane is just understanding it to the best of my knowledge and that goes beyond just operating it. So I will buy, beg, borrow anything I can get my hands on.

Bulfers FMC guide is something else. It is without a shadow of doubt the most detailed, yet still very practical manual on the FMC in existence. All AOM will dedicate many pages to the FMC, but nothing comes close to Bulfer's guide. The official Honeywell guide is actually pretty pathetic, sort of a FMC guide for dummies!

Now Mike's books cover a lot of the same topic as in all of the above. But he does it very differently and he does it from a pilots point of view and based on his own experience and maybe some of his personal preferences. But it makes for very easy reading and understanding.

So is it necessary? Probably not. But is it a very welcome addition to the other sources, absolutely!

Some might not agree, but I would think that it helps to have a reasonable understanding of the 747 systems and how to operate them before diving into Mike's book. I think that would go a long way to get a better understanding and context of what Mike talks about.

Same goes for the various DVD's and maybe even Youtube video's of 744 cockpits. It just another sources of information, showing the same thing in a slightly different way, or sometimes something completely new.

Jeroen

Jeroen,
i feel your pain.
the same happen to me when we moved from Europe to Canada ... still missing the paper collectors one but i was able to get and find some pdf ones.

all the best.

Phil

pm me if you want.

Phil Bunch

Quote from: jtsjc1The Jeppesen Instrument Commercial Manual is also excellent reading. I got a like new copy on ebay for a very good price a couple years ago.  I've posted it before but get the Big Boeing FMC manual if you can its worth every penny.
I Googled this book and found that they issued a new edition in 2013.  Needless to say, this costs more than previous versions (about 85 US dollars).

Does anyone know how different the 2000, 2007 and 2013 editions are?  It's got 5-star ratings everywhere, which speaks very highly of the book, along with PSX forum recommendations.

BTW. this book is also available as an e-book, which I prefer:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/guided-flight-discovery-instrument/id731764586?mt=11

WARNING:  JEPPESEN EBOOKS, PURCHASED FROM THEM, ARE SOLD AS ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS, WHICH IS APPARENTLY NOT READABLE ON AN IOS-BASED IPAD.  AS BEST I CAN FOLLOW, YOU *MAY* HAVE TO JAIL-BREAK YOUR IPAD TO OBTAIN AN ADOBE DIGITAL EDITIONS COMPATIBLE EBOOK READER FOR THE IPAD.    

THEREFORE, ONLY THE ITUNES PURCHASE OF THEIR EBOOKS (IF AVAILABLE) IS SUITABLE FOR IOS-BASED IPADS.  i AM NOT 100% SURE OF THIS INFORMATION BUT IT IS MY BEST UNDERSTANDING.  I WILL POST FURTHER INFO AFTER HEARING FROM JEPPESEN'S SUPPORT.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

jtsjc1

Phil the edition I have is 2012. I had an older version from about 2000 which was slightly different. Some additions to the GPS section were made. I don't think much has changed in the last year. the ISBN is 0-88487-387-0. The book is well worth the money as it covers every aspect of instrument flying.
Joe

Phil Bunch

See the caveat about this Jeppesen ebook format in my post in post #32, above.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

pbenoit

For those of us, me included, who might need a 747 refresher course .... on the PMDG site http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/docs.html ... you will find 4 zips which are a 747 type rating tutorial written by PMDG's principal, Robert Randazzo who I believe is type-rated on 747 and may even be a real 747 pilot, can't remember..

It's freely downloadable and really quite well done.  For FSX types, there are files with routes, weather etc... but the basic narrative is really helpful ... along with a good checklist and perhaps a normal procedures section from an AOM.

Happy Reading!!!

My PSX copy should be on the mail truck out for delivery today ... looking forward to immersing myself into this!!!!

Cheers
Paul Benoit
KBOS

GodAtum

just saw this on mycockpit classifieds:

The Air Pilot's Manual by Trevor Thom (Paperback 2010) Complete Series (Vol 1-7)

Hessel Oosten

We forgot here to mention one of the best:

Mell Ott  (GOOSEBUMPS... ;))   in the historical... PS1 manual,
but now freely available "off-manual", as already mentioned by Hardy in another thread:

http://aerowinx.com/downloads/MelOttInauguralFlight.pdf

Hessel

edit: URL corrected

phil747fan

Quote from: pbenoitFor those of us, me included, who might need a 747 refresher course .... on the PMDG site http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/downloads/docs.html ... you will find 4 zips which are a 747 type rating tutorial written by PMDG's principal, Robert Randazzo who I believe is type-rated on 747 and may even be a real 747 pilot, can't remember..

It's freely downloadable and really quite well done.  For FSX types, there are files with routes, weather etc... but the basic narrative is really helpful ... along with a good checklist and perhaps a normal procedures section from an AOM.

Happy Reading!!!

My PSX copy should be on the mail truck out for delivery today ... looking forward to immersing myself into this!!!!

Cheers
Paul Benoit
KBOS

they made even a manual for ps1 users before any other sims but it is long time ago ...

Alec246

Quote from: Hessel OostenWe forgot here to mention one of the best:

Mell Ott  (GOOSEBUMPS... ;))   in the historical... PS1 manual,
but now freely available "off-manual", as already mentioned by Hardy in another thread:

http://aerowinx.com/downloads/MelOttInauguralFlight.pdf

Hessel

The link didn't work here. Is there any other alternative one?

Thank you!

Edit: Got it! Thanks
Alexis Mefano

pbenoit

Would you please share the corrected link where you found the Captain Tarmack "off-Manual".

Every little bit helps!!!

Thanks so much!!
Paul Benoit