News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Cockpit sim questions

Started by GodAtum, Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:00

GodAtum

Hi all,

This software is going to be amazing! I'm looking to build a cockpit simulator. I think the only company that has good parts is Flighdecksolutions?

Will PSX be able to run on Linux and P3D?

Many thanks

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Linux, yes. Part of beta testing.

P3D is not an operating system, so PSX does not run "on" it, but Gary's scenery driver seems to work well kicking it around.

Hoppie

GodAtum

I am not familar with PSX. Will it be setup in a similar way to Simavionics  or Prosim 737?

the mad hatter

hi   there are lost of solutions it all depends on what your objectives are and your budget added to your skillset... but a 74 is not a cheap build regardless of any route you take when it comes to hardware

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

From a sufficienly large distance, all (hobby) sims are built the same. You have a set of hardware, either a complete kit or 100% custom manufactured or something in between, and that hardware takes up 99.9% of your brain power. Then, you have a sim running on a PC nearby and that sim shall interface to the hardware. Unfortunately there are only a few kits that plug into an existing sim, and usually this comes at the expense of limited functionality. If you really want to have your hardware come to life to the fullest, with all knobs feeding the sim and the sim feeding all lights, then you will need to add the other 99.9% as well -- the software that links the hardware and the sim.

Here is it  that PSX shines. No, the software is not available, but it is significantly easier to create it for PSX than for anything else currently out there. And this, in my opinion, will translate into hardware interfaces becoming available pretty quickly. Since PSX does only do one aircraft, a 747-400 (in many variants), it won't be a game of creating a general panel X to do mostly what the generic sim Y can do. No, you will see dedicated 747-400 stuff with exact interfaces.

However there is not a complete set yet. Not yet.

Hoppie

GodAtum

Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with setting up Prosim 737 with FDS hardware. There is a configuration tool to set each knob, button etc. Then there are .exe files which run the ND, PFD etc. I am guessing PSX is similar?

Will it come with the plane model file to use in FSX and P3D?

jb747

PSX is a stand alone flight simulator that uses FSX, P3d or XP10 only for the scenery display outside the flightdeck.  Configuration of the switches and indicator lights is unique to PSX and different than existing solutions that use FSUIPC interfaces.  Different but very easy to interface to.

When it is released I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to get it up and running.  

With regard to FDS, the MCDU, the MCP/EFIS/DSP have already been interfaced and tested with PSX.  Likewise, the SYS series of interface cards are well along in the test process.  The last unit that needs to be completed is the multi-channel radio modules.

Cheers,

Jon

GodAtum

Thanks for the helpful reply. In FSX itself, what plane model would one choose to load? I guess either the default 747 or a custom version specifically for PSX?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

It does not matter at all what you load in FSX, as you don't see anything of it through the windshield. I would load a video camera   :-D

Hoppie

That said, I do know that there are some things to do in FSX and setting some model parameters may be part of that -- the idea is that FSX will not try to do anything flight-model wise. But the actual aircraft painting isn't relevant.

Compare the setup with the pro system. There is an aircraft simulator including systems, and there is a visuals simulator. Often you have a choice in visual simulators. These visuals are outside view generators without any flying capability.

Garry Richards

Quote from: GodAtumThanks for the helpful reply. In FSX itself, what plane model would one choose to load? I guess either the default 747 or a custom version specifically for PSX?

If you are using VisualPSX to connect PSX to FSX then you would use a default 747. PSX simply pushes the FSX aircraft around in its scenery; the FSX aircraft doesn't fly itself or have any control over its movements. If you were to view the FSX aircraft from the outside you would see that it has some animations that follow PSX, such as control surfaces, landing gear and lights. These are necessarily simplified. For instance failures in PSX of individual flap or gear components are not modelled, but since the FSX aircraft follows PSX's movements exactly it will behave correctly.

This post describes the VisualPSX suite of applications:
http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=14327#post14327

Cheers,
Garry

GodAtum

Thanks for the informative answer Garry.

GodAtum

I was curious as to far much £15,000 would get me. Could I get the FDS DSTD?

How much would PSX be, around $1000 - $5000?

GodAtum

Quote from: jb747With regard to FDS, the MCDU, the MCP/EFIS/DSP have already been interfaced and tested with PSX.  Likewise, the SYS series of interface cards are well along in the test process.  The last unit that needs to be completed is the multi-channel radio modules.

Cheers,

Jon

is it straight forward tuning in all the buttons, switches, knobs etc?