News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Hardware

Started by Steve H, Thu, 12 Jun 2014 04:17

Steve H

I have a friend who first bought a hangar and later a plane to keep in it. This may be my approach to PSX. Last year I bought a Macbook Pro w/ retina display, but since Java is incompatible at present, I'm wondering what would be the best machine to buy now that will accommodate PSX when it's released. No need for anything elaborate - just decent frame rates and display. Your suggestions are welcome.

400guy

Depends on how much you want to spend!

(If you want to get CRAZY, you can do something like I did .

see:
http://kingmont.com
and the links there to my sims.

You might want to look at what DELL has available on their "scratch and dent" refurbished site.  I got several systems there and was quite happy with them.  

If you want to go the route of a custom built system you should be able to find a local to you shop that could do it for you.

jj

stekeller

I have almost zero knowledge about this, but a quick search revealed this...

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/7u40-relnotes-2004172.html#mac-rd

It says "Retina Display support on Mac OS X - Retina screens will now display content correctly. Previously rendering had been blurry". Is this the silver bullet?

- Stekeller
KORD

Hardy Heinlin

No, this is a different bullet. Retina displays don't show all semi-transparent bitmap layers that PSX uses, and Retina displays drop the frame rate in PSX below 10 fps where actually 60+ could be achieved.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

stekeller

Ah OK - thanks HH

So no Retina Mac in my immediate future then.

- Stekeller
KORD

Phil Bunch

Does the video card driver used for the tested Retina displays play any role in the compatibility situation?  

I fear that my question is inappropriate and irrelevant but I thought I would ask anyway since these issues remind me a little of incompatibility of specific video games with specific video card driver releases for Windows machines.  Please excuse my ignorance if this suggestion is not helpful or relevant.  

I wonder if Photoshop CS6 would have similar issues with Retina displays?   Again, just a thought.
Best wishes,

Phil Bunch

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

I believe you have zero choice what video driver to use on a Mac platform.