News:

Precision Simulator update 10.173 (24 February 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

Will PSX run on my AMD fx-8150

Started by Panos Bilios, Mon, 9 Jun 2014 19:01

Panos Bilios

Hi all,

As we all waiting eagerly for the release of PSX,
I am wondering if PSX will run decently on my AMD fx-8150(8 core), Nvidia 650,
the reason I am saying this is that I was never able to run FSX for some reason on my
system with more than 10FPS, making it practicaly unflyable :(

thanks

Panos
LGKR

Hardy Heinlin

Hi Panos,

these are the system requirements for PSX:

Java version 1.6, or 1.7, or a higher compatible version. If Java is not already installed on your computer, it can be downloaded free of charge from java.com.

Apple OS X, or Microsoft Windows, or Linux or any other operating system that supports one of the above Java versions, and that includes a PDF reader for viewing the operations manual. (PDF readers are also available in the Internet.)

A monitor with at least 800 x 800 pixels. Undersized monitors can be used as well—for example, to display certain small flight deck sections on networked monitors—, but the instructor screen will then be cropped, and should then be displayed on a second, suitable monitor.

Dual-core or multi-core microprocessor, running at 2.5 GHz or higher.

4 GB RAM or more.

3 GB free hard disk space.

A keyboard, ideally one that includes a numeric keypad.

A mouse, or any similar pointing device.

Access to a DVD drive is required for the initial installation.

Optional:

USB yokes, sticks, pedals, throttles, buttons, and other USB inputs.

Add-on software & hardware compatible with the Aerowinx TCP/IP network.

Caution:

At the time when this document was written (June 2014), Apple Retina displays were incompatible with Java and Precision Simulator. They did not show all flight deck panels, and decreased the frame rate below 10 fps. The problem may still persist.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Java utilizes hardware acceleration for the graphics. Hence, the frame rates in the simulator are very high, typically ranging from 30 to 70 fps.

Panos Bilios

Hi Hardy

Thanks for the reply!
looking forward to the release
in the meantime studying the PS 1.3 Manual

Many Greetings
Panos

alcannata

Dear Hardy,

are processor speed and RAM size mandatory or recommended requirements?
Thank you,

Aldo

Hardy Heinlin

Dear Aldo,

the system requirements are required.

The options are optional.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Hardy Heinlin

I just added this note to the system requirements above:

QuoteCaution:

At the time when this document was written (June 2014), Apple Retina displays were incompatible with Java and Precision Simulator. They did not show all flight deck panels, and decreased the frame rate below 10 fps. The problem may still persist.

Christian Adrigan

Quote from: Hardy HeinlinI just added this note to the system requirements above:

QuoteCaution:

Fortunately running a Windows Notebook & a Macbook Air Retina here.

Maybe a PSX beta tester could confirm if the retinas still (Mid June) have problems with Java?

744kid

Nooooo! I'm running a Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 MacbookPro. I thought I had specs that would run PSX. Absolutely gutted to read the above. I was getting excited at the prospect of buying PSX in the very near future. Aghhhh! :(

stekeller

744kid:

This blog says Retina compatibility issue (blurriness) is being addressed in JDK 8, which is in beta.

http://plested.wordpress.com/2013/09/04/jdk-and-the-retina-display-dilemma/

So it sounds like if there is not a fix yet, it may be coming.

- Stekeller
KROD

744kid

Thanks, stekeller, but if I've read another post from Hardy correctly, the issue still isn't fixed: http://aerowinx.com/forum/topic.php?post=14676#post14676

So, Retina Macs are still no good? :(

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers