News:

Precision Simulator update 10.175 (29 May 2024) is now available.
Navburo update 13 (23 November 2022) is now available.
NG FMC and More is released.

Main Menu

PSX + FSX for scenery

Started by ahaka, Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:27

Garry Richards

I haven't tested this situation but VisualPSX disables the FSX simulation engine so it can have full control of the FSX aircraft. I would guess that this means that hardware controls would be disabled too. You will be able to test this yourself soon.  ;)
Garry

frumpy

One more thought on FSX: FSX is dead, go for P3D. P3D is pretty
much an updated FSX, that means most things are compatible besides
minor issues. The graphic engine is fast, but objects slow it down.
With a lot of experimenting on graphics settings (P3D allows to
save those profiles - very useful) I was able to get better looking
and more fluid graphics on P3D. Let say with a moderate twin-engine
Cessna I had about 50fps, while P3D runs just the graphic engine
at 100-110 fps (!) without the aircraft on my older system
(I fly mostly without other objects like trees/buildings).

GodAtum

Quote from: Garry RichardsI haven't tested this situation but VisualPSX disables the FSX simulation engine so it can have full control of the FSX aircraft. I would guess that this means that hardware controls would be disabled too. You will be able to test this yourself soon.  ;)

Will there be a way to test compatibility before buying?

Jeroen Hoppenbrouwers

Just wait until people report their experiences.

Hoppie

JRBarrett

Quote from: Garry RichardsI haven't tested this situation but VisualPSX disables the FSX simulation engine so it can have full control of the FSX aircraft. I would guess that this means that hardware controls would be disabled too. You will be able to test this yourself soon.  ;)

Excellent. I will probably put PSX on a dedicated machine eventually. After reading the preliminary PSX manual, and seeing the many, many options for interfacing with external devices (via appropriate drivers) I am afraid that the cockpit-building bug may be about to bite me.

I may soon have to break the news to my wife: "About that sewing room I was going to build... uh, plans have changed..."  :lol:

Hardy Heinlin

Quote from: JRBarrettI may soon have to break the news to my wife: "About that sewing room I was going to build... uh, plans have changed..."  :lol:
Why not both? Install a sewing machine by the observer's seat :-)

For long range cruise entertainment.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

JRBarrett

Quote from: Hardy Heinlin
Quote from: JRBarrettI may soon have to break the news to my wife: "About that sewing room I was going to build... uh, plans have changed..."  :lol:
Why not both? Install a sewing machine by the observer's seat :-)

For long range cruise entertainment.

Cheers,

|-|ardy

Inflight entertainment will be provided by a dedicated computer I already own which runs another quality German-made program - a Hammond B3 emulator from Native Instruments. (As a recording engineer, you are probably familiar with that company).

I suppose I won't start to worry about the long term effects of the
cockpit-building mania until I find myself at the point of having to contract for 3-phase mains power for the hydraulic motors for the full-motion platform...  ;)

Greatly looking forward to the release of PSX!

John Golin

Quote from: ahakaA lot of the mainstream software developers only provide 3d modeled cockpits, which surely look great too and probably suits many single monitor users, but at the same time they have abandoned a group of users, who either build a full-scale cockpit or use multiple monitors to display different elements of the cockpit. PSX not only caters those users,

Just a quick note of clarification - PSX cockpit is 2D...
John Golin.
www.simulatorsolutions.com.au

ahaka

Quote from: John GolinJust a quick note of clarification - PSX cockpit is 2D...

That is what I was referring to in my post; that thankfully there is such a beautiful 2d cockpit in PSX that multi-monitor users can take advantage of. Perhaps my english is just not good enough. :-)
Antti

ahaka

Garry,

Do you know yet if visualPSX will be ready and released concurrently with PSX?

Also, I am really curious about how it will work when PSX and FSX have different frame rates? Stuttering? I am almost certain that PSX will run on a higher framerate. FSX can be run smooth at 30fps locked, but if PSX is feeding data at 68fps, wouldnt that be troublesome?
Antti

Garry Richards

Quote from: ahakaDo you know yet if visualPSX will be ready and released concurrently with PSX?
The VisualPSX suite - VisualPSX, TrafficPSX and RunwaysPSX - has reached Release Candidate stage. The manual is complete and the package of support files is ready to go. The PSX beta team has not yet discussed release dates for addons but the VisualPSX suite is effectively ready for release now.

Quote from: ahakaAlso, I am really curious about how it will work when PSX and FSX have different frame rates? Stuttering? I am almost certain that PSX will run on a higher framerate. FSX can be run smooth at 30fps locked, but if PSX is feeding data at 68fps, wouldnt that be troublesome?
VisualPSX uses multiple threads to read PSX boost server data at up to 72 Hz (the higher the better for smoothing), applies dynamic vertical and horizontal offsets to it if necessary to align an FSX runway with the matching PSX runway, then smooths the resulting position and attitude data and sends it to FSX at about 60 Hz. FSX can be running at any frame rate, locked or variable, without causing stuttering, provided that FSX is not overloaded. If you see autogen buildings appearing in batches or clouds being redrawn then the FSX frame rate is too high. Testers have found that FSX runs very smoothly when being driven by PSX through VisualPSX.
Garry

Garry Richards

Update: Hardy is happy for VisualPSX to be released and I have now done so. Refer to separate thread.
Garry

ahaka

Great news, Garry! And thank you for all the hard work!

Another question that just popped into my mind is: Will you be able to taxi around the airports? From what I understand, PSX only provides the runway data?
Antti

Garry Richards

Yes, it's explained in the manual.
Garry

farrokh747

http://store.thefsps.com/product_info.php?products_id=54

something new for FSX performance..... anyone tried it yet?

martin

"Using revultionary techniques" !!!

:D